Last Updated on September 8, 2022 by Ngefechukwu Maduka
Vet tech schools can help students to become better pet owners and even go into business for themselves. Vet tech schools offer a hands-on approach that provides students the foundation they need to succeed as a vet tech or a veterinary assistant.
The article below gives you free access to valuable information on Ashworth College Vet Tech, Penn Foster Vet Tech & Ashworth College vet tech books. Just read on to get the full gist.
What’s more? You will find related posts on Ashworth Vet Tech program reviews, Ashworth College Vet Tech curriculum, Ashworth College Vet Tech tuition & best online Vet Tech programs on Collegelearners.
Earn your AVMA CVTEA accredited associate degree through our flexible, affordable, and career-focused vet tech program online. The program includes 270 hours of clinical experience, giving you hands-on practice working with animals while you do your coursework online. Upon graduating with your Veterinary Technician Associate Degree, you will be eligible to pursue professional credentialing/testing or licensure and ready to reach your potential in the booming pet care industry.
ashworth college vet tech cost
Get Full Program Information, Tuition & Student Requirements
Learn how you can:
- Easily afford this Veterinary Technician program with 0% interest monthly payment options
- Fit study around your life with our flexible online study model
- Upgrade your career prospects and achieve your goals
The Associate of Applied Science Degree in Veterinary Technician is accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA). Ashworth College is also accredited by the Distance Education Accrediting Commission.
What you get
- Digital textbooks: Principles and Practices of Veterinary Technology, Clinical Anatomy and Physiology for Veterinary Technicians, Dog Anatomy: A Photo Atlas, Cat Anatomy and Dissection Guide, Front Office Management for the Veterinary Team, Laboratory Procedures for Veterinary Technicians, Veterinary Instruments and Equipment: A Pocket Guide, Diagnostic Imagine for Veterinary Technicians, Small Animal Surgical Nursing, Laboratory Animal and Exotic Pet Medicine: Principles and Procedures
- AVMA CVTEA-accredited vet tech curriculum
- 270 hours of clinical training
- Binder™ mobile app for taking your learning materials on-the-go
- Student Portal dashboard for instant access to lessons and support
- Learning Resource Center online libraries and labs
- ProQuest® digital access to thousands of sources for research
- An active online community of fellow students, staff, and grads
ashworth college vet tech degree
Career opportunities for skilled veterinary technicians are growing fast. In fact, the Bureau of Labor Statistics projects the employment of veterinary technicians to grow 20% from 2016 to 2026. This rapid growth is attributed to the fact that more veterinary practices are utilizing vet techs to do general lab work and hiring skilled vet techs to replace lower-skilled veterinary staff.*
As a grad, you’ll be prepped for your certification exam and eligible for the important professional licensing employers demand.
FIT YOUR LIFE
Enroll in one semester at a time and complete each of them in as few as six months based on your study pace.
This is one of the most affordable online veterinary technician programs available at any vet tech school.
Ashworth College Vet Tech Cost
Our online Veterinary Technician Associate Degree program is one of the most affordable programs of its kind in the country. See for yourself how we compare:
|College||Tuition + fees||Per credit hour|
|University of Phoenix||$27,280||$455|
|Avg In-State 2-Year||$8,080||$135|
Note: This chart is for illustration purposes only. Actual results will vary depending on the number of transfer credits brought into the program. Tuition rates were gathered from competing university websites May 3, 2017.
*Ashworth College total price is based on Monthly Auto Pay with $1,799 for semesters 1, 2 and 3, and semester 4 at no cost.
Best online vet tech programs
Get ready for the first step towards a career as a veterinary technician by checking out the different programs available for this growing profession online. Consider the emphasis of the program you want, in addition to cost and schedule.
1. Penn Foster College – Associate of Science in Veterinary Technician
- Low tuition price below $100 per credit hour; Penn Foster College also offers payment plans with no interest.
- Award-winning faculty and a strong vet tech student community
- Interactive coursework
- Clinical externships can be completed with one of the national veterinary hospital partners
- Courses include live webinars and asynchronous course elements and are mobile-friendly
- Up to 75% of credits toward the degree may transfer from other institutions
- Can be completed in four semesters
- Prepares students to take the VTNE
2. San Juan College – Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology
- Accredited by the AVMA
- Multiple start dates—fall, spring or summer
- Specialized vet tech courses last 12 weeks each
- 100% asynchronous online program designed for working professionals
- Hands-on labs designed to be performed at a veterinary clinic in student’s area
- Students work with both a companion animal site and a Food and Farm Animal site
- Fast-track labs for large animal skills on-site in Waco, Texas or another off-campus clinical instruction site
- One to four courses per semester
- Full-time students can complete the program in two years and then sit for the VTNE or similar state exams
- Open to international students
- Prior relevant work experience or college credit may be transfer credits or allow students to test out of some courses
3. Purdue University – Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology
- Part-time program that can be completed in three to five years
- “Veterinary nursing program” is a term that accurately represents the rigorous science-based curriculum and job duties of this profession
- Students may already work in veterinary practice
- Students are responsible for securing their own mentorship sites
- Online veterinary science degree graduates have a 90% pass rate on the VTNE
- Open to international students
- All students pay the same tuition rate regardless of residence
- Hands-on skills practiced with a mentor in the student’s area; Purdue holds on-campus workshops for students seeking large animal experience
4. St. Petersburg College – Associate of Science in Veterinary Technology
- Accredited by the AVMA and the American Animal Hospital Association
- Training includes radiology, nursing, dentistry, anesthesia, surgical preparation, and clinical laboratory tests
- Students must complete 18 or 22 credits of the general education requirements and have worked or volunteered at least 40 hours in an animal hospital before applying to the online animal science associate’s degree
- Coursework is completely online; students complete the clinical practicum with a mentor in their area
- Most learning is asynchronous
- Students must spend at least 20 hours per week in a veterinary clinic
- Florida residents pay less than a third of the tuition charged out-of-state students; there is the possibility to combine on-campus and online learning to fit the schedule needs of area students
5. Colby Community College – Associate of Applied Science in Veterinary Technology
- The convenience of distance learning can be combined with weekend on-campus mentorships for specialized subjects
- All coursework can be completed online asynchronously with practicums in student’s residential area
- On-campus weekend mentorships for large animals, laboratory/exotic animals, and microbiology
- Online students required to work with veterinary hospitals in their area to cover hands-on skills
- Can be completed in three years part-time or two years full-time
- Tuition is very affordable, especially for Kansas residents, but tuition for out-of-state and international students is also very low
- Courses are offered three semesters per year, though not all courses are offered every semester
6. Barton County Community College – Associate of Science in Veterinary Medicine
- Cost per credit hour is very low for all students regardless of residency
- Transfer credits are allowed but must be verified by transcript
- The online animal science associate’s degree program is a total of 64 credit hours and begins with a number of general education requirements, including foundation studies, humanities, social and natural sciences, and mathematics
- Required courses for the Veterinary Medicine emphasis are chemistry, physics, and zoology; there are elective options in anatomy and physiology, statistics, and organic chemistry
- Flexible scheduling allows for shorter or longer course terms, from four-week intersession courses up to sixteen-week full semester classes
- Free online tutoring is available through this military-friendly school
- Practicum requirements, field work, internships, and clinical experiences
7. Allen County Community College – Associate of Science in Pre-Veterinary Medicine
- Tuition well under $100 per credit hour
- Credit for prior learning or military experience is available after completing 12 credit hours of work
- The recommended sequence of courses allows students to complete the program in as little as four semesters
- Specialty courses for the veterinary technician program include animal science and industry, fundamentals of animal nutrition, and agricultural economics
- Transfer agreements with public universities in Kansas for further education
- Open to international students and out-of-state students with the same incredibly low tuition costs
- Writing center for individual tutoring, math tutors, access to the online library, and technical assistance
best online vet tech programs 2022
Two top universities offer Veterinary and Animal Medicine courses online for free. Whether you are in school to become a veterinarian, or simply have a love for animals, learn more through these top notch courses without spending a fortune on tuition.
1. Utah State University
The University Extension courses offered by Utah State University cover a number of alternative topics, including farming and gardening topics. Two farming topics focus on specific farm animals and therefore are related to Veterinary Medicine. Both courses include relatively short video lectures which may be streamed or downloaded for later viewing.
- Cattle Management
- Lambing and Sheep Management
2. Tufts University
Tufts’ Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine offers seven reputable courses for people who wish to learn about animal husbandry, veterinary medicine, and wildlife. Zoological Medicine covers not only care of zoo species, but also animals in their natural habitat or pets that don’t get as much veterinary attention, such as birds and fish. In the Law and Veterinary Medicine course, students learn about the legal and ethical proceedings animal doctors need to be aware of.
- Zoological Medicine
- Law and Veterinary Medicine
- Population Health
- Veterinary Respiratory Pathophysiology
ashworth college vet tech curriculum
Free Online Animal Medicine and Veterinary Studies Courses at a Glance
|Course & School||Program Level||Format||Assignments||Quizzes and Exams||Downloadable|
|Cattle Management course from Utah State University||Undergraduate||Videos||No||No||Yes|
|Lambing and Sheep Management course from Utah State University||Undergraduate||Videos||No||No||Yes|
|Zoological Medicine course from Tufts University||Graduate||Text Lessons||No||No||Yes|
|Law and Veterinary Medicine course from Tufts University||Graduate||Text Lessons||No||No||Yes|
|Population Health course from Tufts University||Graduate||Text Lessons||No||No||Yes|
|Veterinary Respiratory Pathophysiology||Graduate||Text Lessons||No||No||Yes|