Last Updated on November 14, 2022 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
Get more information regarding Cornell Engineering Acceptance Rate, cornell engineering ranking, cornell engineering acceptance rate by major, cornell acceptance rate, cornell engineering acceptance rate reddit, cornell engineering admissions & cornell acceptance rate by college
cornell engineering acceptance rate by major, cornell acceptance rate, cornell engineering acceptance rate reddit, cornell engineering admissions & cornell acceptance rate by college.
Cornell Engineering Overview
Engineering degree is a coursework and project-oriented program.
|Address||300 Day Hall|
|Level||Four or more years|
|Total Engineering Students||3709 (Undergraduate), 1055 (graduate), 1036 (PhD)|
|PhDs granted(current yr)||204|
|Total Engineering Teachers||266|
|Total Engineering Research Expenditure||$123162|
|Admission Rate (Undergrad)||12335 (Applications), 1520 (Offered admissions), 814 (Accepted)|
|GPA (for Undergrad)||99 [percentage of students ranked in top 25% of their high school class]|
|Admission Rate (Grad)||9342 (Applications), 2704 (Offered admissions), 1011 (Accepted)|
|Carnegie Classification||Research Universities (very high research activity)|
|Undergrad Application Fees||$80|
|Grad Application Fees||$95|
|Tuition / Fees|
|SAT Score**SectionScore (25/75) percentileReading770/770Math740/Writing750/||ACT Score**SectionScore (25/75) percentileComposite/Math/|
|Aerospace- Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering|
|Agricultural/Biological Engineering and Bioengineering|
|Electrical- Electronics and Communications Engineering|
|Environmental/Environmental Health Engineering|
- Accepts both TOEFL or IELTS.
- Material Science and Engineering – No direct support (financial aid from university) is offered to MS students. There are limited TA/RA. All PhD students receive funding. It’s expected for students to have GRE >320 and AWA score >3.5.
- Average starting Salary of Cornell Engineering Undergraduate is $80,000
- For Undergraduate admissions you need to take SAT or ACT (and two subject tests maths / science)
- ECE For admission to PhD programs you need to have a minimum score of 153 in verbal and 159 in GRE Quant. AWA>=5.0/6.0. There is no MS program for ECE.
- Computer Science Each year 30-40 students join PhD program and receive full funding. PhD Students to faculty ratio is 3:1. Department nominates PhD students for fellowships from IBM, Google, Microsoft and Facebook.
cornell engineering admission requirements
The Master of Engineering degree is a coursework and project-oriented program. Prospective applicants can find additional information on our Admissions FAQ page.
The application deadline for all Fall 2023 applicants is February 1, 2023. We are also accepting applications for internal Cornell applicants only for the Spring 2023 term. The deadline for internal candidates applying for the Spring 2023 term is October 15, 2022.
We admit students with a bachelor’s degree from a variety of STEM backgrounds. No work experience is required. Accepted students have sequence of math that includes Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Calculus 3, Differential Equations, and a Probability and Statistics course.
- Online application
- Statement of purpose
- Letters of recommendation (3)
- Application fee
- TOEFL/IELTS scores for applicants whose native language is not English
- Technical writing sample
We will also interview a select group of students prior to admission to the program.
If you are having financial difficulties, you can learn more about application fee waivers via this site: https://gradschool.cornell.edu/admissions/apply/application-fees/
Some tips for the statement of purpose in your application
- Be creative! We want to learn more about you in a fun, engaging way.
- Highlight your strengths: This is the time to showcase you and how you will contribute to the Cornell Engineering Management community.
- Share your passion for Cornell: We are excited to hear what gets you excited about Cornell and the MEM program.
- What we’re looking for in the writing sample
We ask you to submit a technical writing sample that demonstrates your ability to synthesize and communicate quantitative information. The writing sample should be no more than 5,000 words and can include figures. Acceptable documents include but are not limited to a technical analysis, project report, written review of technical material, an internal company report, white paper, published article, and projects/reports from a previous Engineering course. The technical writing sample should have been written in the past 3 years. If you were a coauthor, provide an introductory paragraph that specifically highlights your role and contribution.If you or your employer have concerns about confidential material, you can choose to redact portions of the document containing sensitive information or data. You can also write a brief critical review of the work in question that omits any confidential material or data. If portions of the document are removed, we respectfully request that the submission is coherent and still allows the Admissions Team to make an informed decision about the candidate.
The technical writing sample is distinct from the Statement of Purpose (also called the Personal Statement). The Statement of Purpose helps the admissions committee understand your academic objectives and determine if you are a good match for the program you are applying to. The goal of this document is to impress upon the admissions committee that you have solid background and experience, and that you have the potential to be successful in graduate study. The Statement of Purpose is also a place, if necessary, to address any blemishes, gaps, or weaknesses in your academic record. In these situations, be honest but brief. Focus on how you overcame obstacles, remained persistent in the pursuit of your goals and showed resilience. Share what you learned from the particular experience, and how it led you to become a better scholar or person.
Admission for International Applicants English Language Proficiency
All International Applicants must be able to demonstrate a minimum required level of English Language Proficiency in order to be considered for admission. More information is available on the Graduate School website.
For the IBT TOEFL, you must meet the following minimum required scores as determined by the Cornell Graduate School in each of the following sections in order to be considered for admission to our field:
- Listening – 15
- Writing – 20
- Reading – 20
- Speaking – 22
A combined overall score of 7.0 or higher is required for consideration for admission when submitting an IELTS score.
If you are not able to meet or exceed the minimum scores in each of the four sections of the IBT TOEFL or the combined overall score of the IELTS, you will not be considered eligible for admission to Cornell University. Sadly, no exceptions will be made.
You may only be considered eligible for an English Language Proficiency Requirement (i.e. TOEFL or IELTS) waiver if you have studied full-time for two (2) or more consecutive years (a minimum of four (4) consecutive semesters) at a college or university where English is the language of instruction located in a country where English is the native language (including English-speaking Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland and the UK).
Every other country, including the India subcontinent, Singapore, the Anglophone Caribbean, Anglophone Africa, Francophone Canada and Puerto Rico, do not qualify for a TOEFL exemption, as per the Cornell Graduate School.
Cornell University is a renowned independent, private, research institute founded in 1865 by Ezra Cornell and Andrew Dickson White. The school is also in the record as the institution to award the world’s first degree in journalism, the United States’ first degree in veterinary medicine, and the first doctorate in industrial and electrical engineering. It’s counted among the top universities in the USA for offering comprehensive education to students.
Like any other Ivy League university, getting admission in Cornell Universty is highly competitive, and even the university is quite selective in choosing students. About 10% of undergraduate applicants are admitted each year out of thousands of applications. The MBA Class of 2021 received 282 enrolments from 30 countries, where women make up 35% of the total, and 32% are international students.
On the other hand, the Freshmen (UG) Class 2023 has received more than 49,000 applications, out of which 3,218 students sent their acceptance. Early Decision application deadline is November 1. If admitted under this process, you will be required to withdraw any applications sent to other schools/universities and send your enrollment deposit to Cornell by early-January.
Cornell is rigid with its eligibility requirements, students need to submit TOEFL score of 100 (internet based) and 600 (paper based). For UG aspirants applying for 2021 intake, the university has suspended SAT/ACT requirements. For MBA at Cornell University, GMAT score between 60 and 740 with a comparable GRE score. Work experience is not required, but the class average is usually two to five years of professional experience
The College of Engineering received a record number of applications this year—more than at any time in the college’s history—and made fewer offers of admission than at any time in the last decade, in coordination with the University’s overall enrollment plan. Despite the dearth of acceptance letters issued, Cornell Engineering’s Class of 2016 is the largest, most diverse and most talented ever.
- The College of Engineering received 9,474 applications for first-year admission (of nearly 38,000 applications to Cornell)
- 1,687 students were offered admission, which equates to an 18 percent admit rate.
- 788 chose Cornell.
- 16 percent of the incoming class are under-represented minority students (compared to 14 percent in 2011 and 13 percent in 2010)
- 43 percent of the incoming class are women (compared to 37 percent in 2011 and 2010)
- 9 percent of the incoming class are international students–this percentage held steady relative to the last two years
With so few offers extended, Engineering Admissions expected to use its wait list to “build upwards” to an enrollment goal of 742 matriculating first-year engineers. But the engineering class exceeded that target, so the waiting list was not used this year.
Relative to last year’s class, SAT scores held steady on the SAT Math exam and improved slightly in the SAT Verbal exam.
The College of Engineering admitted slightly fewer students via early decision this year, allowing us greater flexibility in the regular decision pool. 31 percent of the enrolling first-year class this year were early decision applicants.
Top Courses at Cornell University
|Programs||Tuition Fee (Per Annum)||Deadlines|
|M.Eng Computer Science||$58,586||Fall: February 1; Spring: October 1|
|Master of Professional Studies in Management||$58,586||Fall: Round 1: December 1, Round 2: January 15, Round 3: March 1, Round 3: April 15|
Spring: October 15
|MBA||$71,940||Round 1: October 10; Round 2: January 5;|
Round 3: April 8
|M.Eng Mechanical Engineering||$58,586||Fall: February 1; Spring: October 1|
|M.Eng Biomedical Engineering||$58,586||Round 1: November 5; Round 2: January 8;|
Round 3: April 4
|M.Eng Civil and Environmental Engineering||$58,586||Round 1: November 5; Round 2: January 8;|
Round 3: April 4
|MBA in Finance||$71,940||Round 1: November 5; Round 2: January 8;|
Round 3: April 4
|M.Eng Materials Science and Engineering||$58,586||Fall: December 1; Spring: October 3|
|M.Sc. Applied Economics and Management||$20,800||Fall: December 15|
|B.Sc Computer Science||$58,586||Fall: November 1; Spring: October 3|
|B.Sc Mechanical Engineering||$58,586||Fall: November 1; Spring: October 3|
|B.Sc Chemical Engineering||$58,586||Fall: November 1; Spring: October 3|
|M.Eng Systems Engineering||$58,586||Fall: November 1; Spring: October 3|
|Bachelors in Psychology||$58,586||Fall: November 1; Spring: October 3|
Cornell University Rankings
Cornell University ranking as per different agencies is:
- 19th in Times Higher Education list of World University Rankings 2021
- 13th in Academic Ranking of World Universities 2020 by Academic Ranking of World Universities
- 14th in 2021 QS Global World University Rankings list
- 17th in 2021 ranking of Best Universities in the United States by US News.
|Endowment||275.9 million USD|
|Cost of Attendance||57,350 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||55%|
|Student Retention Rate||92%|
|Admission Helpdesk||[email protected], 509 323-6572|
Cornell University Campus
- Cornell University is operated on six campuses with the main campus at a 2300-acres of land at Ithaca-the heart of New York’s Finger Lakes region
- The main campus of Cornell University houses facilities like academic buildings, residence halls, libraries, eateries, research facilities with natural scenery such as lakes, waterfalls, and gardens.
- The school is also housed in five other campuses strategically located on;
- Roosevelt Island, New York
- Doha, Qatar
- Geneva, New York
- Washington D.C.
- Rome, Italy.
- The Campus at Rome (Architecture Art Planning Campus) is a spectacular 17th-century villa based in Palazzo Santacroce. With facilities such as a materials shop, a library, Ample studio space, and tech support.
- The New York campuses which are located in three locations, house the college of Agriculture and Life Sciences, Weill Cornell Medicine College, and the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences
- Over 100 interdisciplinary research centres, laboratories, institutes, and programs.
Cornell University Residence
- 46% of students live on campus while 52% of undergraduate students and 94% of graduate students live off-campus
- All first-year students are guaranteed on-campus housing in over ten friendly and supportive communities and nine special interest or cultural housing communities.
- On-campus housing has Single, double, and triple rooms arranged along corridors, with private or semi-private sinks or sinks rooms, and shared corridor bathrooms, Lounges, study areas, shared kitchens, two community pianos, laundry facilities, Wireless Internet access, etc
- Graduate & Professional Students are also offered on-campus housing in apartments and cooperative housing
- Cornell University through the Office of Off-campus Living provides housing assistance, education, and referral services to members of the university community who choose to live off-campus.
- Students can also look for private, off-campus housing options in US that not only suit their budget but also their lifestyle.
- Cornell also provides a variety of housing options for students with disabilities or medical conditions.
- The dining meal plan is voluntary, except for residents of the West Campus House System.
Cornell University Programs
- Programs at Cornell University are offered in more than 4,000 courses across 100 academic departments in its eight undergraduate colleges and schools.
- Cornell also offers 80 majors and more than 122 minors, more than 108 graduate programs with dual-degree programs across its colleges
- Cornell also offers award-winning online certificate programs in human resources, data science, leadership, healthcare, real estate, etc.
- The school has over 2,900 faculty members worldwide which include Nobel laureates, Pulitzer Prize winners, and global authority and recognized leaders in various fields.
- Popular majors at Cornell University include Business, Engineering, Agriculture, Management, Biological, and Biomedical Sciences, and Related Sciences.
- Cornell Executive MBA Americas program is tailored to enable working professionals to advance their careers while working full-time through live and interactive videoconferencing, and weekend meetups.
- Cornell Organises precollege studies to over 1,500 high school students from 56 countries.
Cornell University Application Process
Seeking admission at Cornell University can be a hard nut to crack. Thus it’s imperative to take care of the following points before making an application:
Requirements for Undergraduate Students
- Application Portal: Universal College Application (UCA) and Common Application (CA)
- Application Fee: 80 USD
- Supporting Documents:
- The school report
- Counselor Recommendation
- Two Teachers Evaluation
- Midyear Report
- The Cornell Questions and Writing Supplement (CA) or the Cornell Supplement (UCA)
- Official secondary/high school transcript(s)
- SAT or ACT scores
- English Test scores (TOEFL iBT – 100, TOEFL PBT- 600 and IELTS – 7.0)
- Admission Deadlines: Early Action- November 1; Regular Decision- January 2
Requirements for Graduate Students
- Application Portal: Graduate Admission Portal
- Application Fee: 105 USD
- Supporting Documents:
- Statement of Purpose
- Official Transcripts.
- English Test scores (TOEFL iBT – 77 and IELTS – 7.0)
- Two or three letters of recommendation
- GRE or GMAT score (if applicable)
- Application deadlines for graduate programs vary by program.
Cornell University Cost of Attendance
The estimated cost of attendance depends on several factors like tuition fee, books, fees, housing, dining, and personal items. The estimated expenses for undergraduate and graduate students are tabulated below.
|Types of Expenses||Cost for UG Students (USD)||Cost for Graduate Students (USD)|
|Tuition||58,586||20,884 – 84,909|
|Student Activity Fee||274||274|
|Housing and Rooms||9,534||19,140|
|Books and Supplies||990||1,330|
|Health Insurance Plan||3,108||3,108|
Cornell University Scholarships
- Cornell University provides financial aid to admitted students who have demonstrated financial need
- Applicants who need financial assistance for their undergraduate course of study at Cornell must apply for aid when they apply for admission.
- Financial Aid application deadline
- Early Decision Financial aid application materials due date: November 1
- Regular Decision Financial aid application materials due date: January 2
- Fall Transfer Financial aid application materials due date: March 15
- The types of financial aid available at Cornell include need-based aid, athletic scholarships, external scholarships and assistantship, fellowship.
- Some of the external scholarships available are:
- ENRE Student Fellowship Program worth 5,500 USD.
- Hertz Fellowship worth 33,000 USD
- Harvey Fellowship worth 12,000 USD
- Steven G. King Play Environments Scholarship worth 5,000 USD
Cornell University Alumni
Cornell’s alumni network has a member strength of a quarter-million worldwide, with regional clubs playing a vital role in connecting alumni and the university.
Notable alumni include:
- Václav Klaus – Former President of the Czech Republic
- Sharice Davids – Former U. S CongressWomen
- Carol Aichele – Secretary of the Commonwealth, Pennsylvania (2011–2015)
Cornell University Placements
Cornell University through the career service help students horn their skills and interests and articulate them confidently in resumes, cover letters, interviews, and personal statements. The average annual salary of Cornell University graduates according to payscale is 84,000 USD.
|Program||Average Salary (USD)|
|Masters in Finance||150,000|
|Masters in Science||127,000|
The best paying degree at Cornell University is Doctorate, with alumni earning an average salary of $168,000. Graduates from Cornell University who earn the lowest salaries are those with a Masters in Management degree, earning a salary of $85,000 annually.
Cornell University is widely known as the first truly American university because of its founders’ practical vision of higher education and revolutionarily egalitarian and the home to where the solution to the famous mathematics problem-Poincaré Conjecture was posted.