Medical Residency In UK For EU Graduates

Last Updated on December 20, 2022 by Omoyeni Adeniyi

Medical residency in England is a program for a British medical education. Medical degree is not a requirement you need to have an undergraduate degree from a recognized/affiliated institution which has been accredited by the British medicine council. It will depend on your field of study and how long you have been an EU resident. After achieving degree, the residency training year ensures that you are working as practical as well as getting theoretical exposure under different doctors who are mostly from the government hospitals only. The Medical graduates from India and international students can now pursue their medical residency in UK not only to fulfil their dreams but also to ensure that they will get the exposure from some of the top hospitals in England rather than a private hospital where a large number of private hospitals don’t provide.

Would you like to have access to or know about how to get into medical residency in uk ? Get ready! Find out more about medical related and other related topics you’re interested in such as residency in uk for international students, Medical Residency In UK For EU Graduates, Residency Programs In UK For International Students right here on giving you the freedom and knowledge you so rightfully deserve.

How to Apply for Medical Residency in UK

A medical residency is begun after an applicant has finished a medical school. Residents must spend three to eight years working at a hospital or other care institution studying by on-the-job experience. This residencies can involve work in a number of specializations.

How specialty training (residency) works in the UK: A complete beginner's  guide – The Savvy IMG

A UK medical residency for international students can help students obtain their medical education. However, competitive medical residency schools in the UK receive thousands of applications every year. Many applicants wonder how to get a medical residency in UK for international student. If you will apply for international medical residency programs, start with the following guide on what to know about it.

Your Fast Guide for Successful Application

Medicine Residency Programs in UK for International Students

When it comes to international medical graduates residency UK chances, students can increase their chance to be selected provided they submit their application documents on time and make sure of stellar application essays.

Pediatric Residency | Pediatrics


University of Edinburgh is one of the medical residency programs for international students. The school integrates teaching and research across their three deaneries: genetic and population health sciences, clinical sciences and molecular as well as biomedical sciences. They conduct world-leading research as well.

Application requirements

  • English language proficiency: Students whose first language isn’t English should give proof of their English proficiency to qualify for residency training and international medical graduates application.
  • Fee deposits: All successful international candidates need to pay a fee deposit.

Application process

  • Applications are made via the UCAS.
  • UKCAT: Applicants without UKCAT score will not be considered. For re-applicants, they need to re-sit UKCAT. Students need to take UKCAT prior to their application.
  • Apply via the UCAS.
  • Applications are made through colleges and university admission service between September 1 and October 15.


The University is a public research in England and London. The institution was named after Mary of Teck. Residency training and internal medical graduates training of Queen Mary University of London ensure the success of its students.

Application process

  • Select a course of study from the school list of courses.
  • Submit the academic entry requirements.
  • Submit the English language and foundation courses – If English is not your first language, you need to give your test score for the English proficiency language.
  • Applications should be made through the UCAS.
  • For postgraduate applications, they should be made online.

More about the application process

  • The online application form can be found on the degree pages.
  • If applying for a Ph.D. or MPhil degree, applicants need to include a research proposal.


If you want to engage yourself in a medical education, then you can choose the institution. They do their best to provide excellent education and medical practice that their students need. Oxford University is one of the popular medical residency programs international students in the nation.

Application process

All applicants need to take the admission test as part of their application. No applicants will be admitted without an interview.

All shortlisted applicants, which include overseas, are expected to come to the Oxford interview in December. To have a successful doctor career path, make sure that you will be included in shortlisted applicants.

  • Step one: After applicants accepted a slot to study at the university, the admission office will send an email containing their unique username, link to online housing application and password.
  • Step two: If you get an offer from the program, you will get an email instructing you to login to their online accommodation system to accept the offer as well as pay their deposit.
  • Step three: Confirm offer and pay your deposit by the set deadline in your accommodation offer.
Post-Graduate Year One Pharmacy Residency - UK Medical Center ...

Application requirements

  • Written test: All applicants need to take the biomedical admission test.
  • Interviews: Competition to study Medicine at the university is tough and only around 425 candidates are shortlisted for interview every year. Candidates are shortlisted for interview based on GCSE performance, BMAT performance and other details on their application.
  • Applicants are selected for their scientific ability and for their aptitude. Candidates need to show their realistic understanding of what a medical career involves and show that they have the potential to become caring and effective doctors.

Important information

All correspondence will be sent via email and it is advised that applicants should check their email on a regular basis because all offers of accommodations have a deadline that should be met. If you want to have great post-graduate career options, accomplish the degree of excellence.


If you are looking for medical residency in UK for foreigners, St. George School is a great option. St. George was the first medical institution in UK that offers a graduate entry program in medicine. Their medical education program is subject to UK General Council’s quality assurance.

Application requirements

  • US students will be eligible to participate in the residency and take the USMLE.
  • Canadian students will be eligible to participate in the CaRMS and take the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination.
  • USMLE: Students need to take the USMLE step one and step two.

Entry requirements

  • Bachelor’s degree with at least 2nd class honor or its equivalent.
  • Applicants should have volunteered or work experience in the medical or health-related field.
  • Must have a score of 55 in GAMSAT or a 498 total score on the Medical College Admission Test.
  • If English is not the first language, applicants need to take IELTS or its equivalent.
  • A residency personal statement.

Some Schools Offering Residency in UK for International Students

If you are asking how to get medical residency in UK for international student, you should complete the application requirements and submit them on time set by one of the chosen medical residency programs for international students. If asked for essays, they must be impressive, unique and compelling to ensure of interest from the committee.

Kings College London

The program at the university is stellar. It was founded in the year 2012. They belong to the top 10 sociology departments in the United Kingdom. They explore complex social determinants of aging, illness, and health as well as give the best doctor training for students.

The University of Glasgow

How specialty training (residency) works in the UK: A complete beginner's  guide – The Savvy IMG

Studying at the university surely benefit students for their scientific knowledge, pioneering teaching methods and state-of-the-art facilities.

University of Connecticut

All applications are processed through the ERAS. All applicants will have the chance to be considered provided that they complete the admission process and requirements. To have a successful road to medical residency in UK for international medical graduate, make sure to check the site of the program to know the complete details on applying.

You may also want to check out good sample letter of recommendation for residency so that you will know how to get a unique LoR.

How specialty training (residency) works in the UK: A complete ...

Appointment to hospital posts in the UK

Training posts

Medical training in the UK is a highly competitive field and there will always be more doctors seeking to undertake training than places available. You need to be very clear about what you want to do, and plan accordingly. Remember that you will need to be registered with the GMC before coming to work in the UK.

All UK medical undergraduates have to complete the 2-year foundation programme before applying to specialty training. They then receive a national training number (NTN). All doctors entering postgraduate specialty training must have completed 24 months of experience since gaining their primary medical qualification, whether in the UK or in another country, and must provide evidence of completion of foundation programme competencies.

Specialty training in O&G takes a minimum of 7 years (ST1–ST7), although trainees may take longer if they wish to train part-time or take time out of programme, e.g. for research, or to undertake subspecialty training.

Entry into training posts is through online application and subsequent competitive interview. Posts are advertised in the BMJ, usually in early November for posts starting the following August. The RCOG oversees the process, but the deaneries are responsible for awarding posts.

On completion of training, trainees receive a Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or equivalent and are entered on to the GMC’s Specialist Register, which allows them to work as a consultant in the NHS.

Fixed-term specialist training appointments (FTSTAs)

FTSTAs are locum appointments for the equivalent of ST1 and ST2 jobs. They provide the equivalent training but don’t carry an NTN. These jobs general last for 6 months or a maximum of 1 year. If you’re subsequently successful in getting an NTN, the training acquired in the FTSTA can be accredited towards the total time for training, after agreement with your deanery.

Locum appointment for training (LAT) posts

LAT posts are usually at ST3 level or above and normally require candidates to have passed the Part 1 MRCOG exam. These jobs generally last for 6–12 months, don’t carry an NTN but do provide training that can be accredited towards your CCT if you gain an NTN at a later date.

How much do doctors in specialty training (residency) earn in the UK? – The  Savvy IMG

Clinical Fellows/trust grades

Many hospitals have middle-grade registrar jobs, but these aren’t officially training jobs and aren’t officially recognised or reviewed by the deaneries. These jobs can be used for clinical experience, but if you wished to use these as part of a non-UK training programme you would need approval from your own training authority. These jobs are advertised in the BMJ.

Consultant positions

Consultants are appointed through open competition. The RCOG usually approves posts before they’re advertised and has a representative at the interview. To apply for a consultant post, you need to:

  • Have obtained a CCT or equivalent
  • Be fully registered with the GMC
  • Be on the Specialist Register

If you’re a non-EEA national, you’ll need a work permit from the Home Office.

Staff grades and associate specialists

Staff grades are career grade jobs where specialist registration isn’t required. These aren’t training posts and usually have a degree of autonomy and responsibility. Most involve some on-call, live-in labour ward commitment. Staff grades may be promoted to associate specialists.

Clinical attachments

It’s still possible to come to the UK as a visitor without GMC registration if you can get a clinical attachment. These usually last 2–6 weeks and are usually unpaid. You will probably have to pay for your accommodation and for any checks of health status etc. if accepted, you would be there as an observer only and wouldn’t be allowed to treat any patients.

The RCOG doesn’t arrange clinical attachments; you need to make arrangements directly with the hospital where you will be doing the attachment. For a list of hospitals, please see the NHS hospital directory. We suggest that you write to the Clinical Director of Obstetrics and Gynaecology asking if you can do an attachment.

Many hospitals don’t provide clinical attachments or observerships, so be prepared to try many hospitals before getting a positive response. A personal connection can only help.

Medical specialisation and training in UK

Medical specialisation and training in UK require General Medical Council (GMC) medical licence. The basic requirement is to have at least first medical diploma valid in UK.
The GMC Medical Licence is necessary for all doctors in the UK regardless of whether they are working in the National Health Service (NHS) or independent sector, on a full or part time, permanent or locum basis, either they are British or International Medical Graduates (IMGs).
It also applies to all levels of registration, whether provisional, full or on the specialist or general practitioner (GP).

Registration to General Medical Council in UK

There are four routes to GMC registration:

  • Professional and Linguistic Assessments Board test (PLAB);
  • Sponsorship through a recognised body such as the RCP;
  • Acceptable Postgraduate qualification;
  • Certification of eligibility for specialist registration (CESR);

Specialization and training in UK

Medical Specialization and Training in UK starts after getting 5 or 6 year diploma of Medicine at medical school and then undertake a two year foundation training program (Foundation Program), which exposes prospective specialists to a range of specialties and placements designed to meet the requirements of the UK nationally approved Foundation curriculum.

The length of medical specialization training (including General Practice –GP- training) in UK varies depending on the speciality. As example, in generally, GP training takes 3 years to complete, although more generally, specialty training will last at least 5 years.

For Medical specialisation in UK, training consists of 2 years core training and 3 or more years advanced training, leading to Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) in the chosen specialty and to the eligibility to enter the General Medical Council’s (GMC) specialist or GP register.

Specialization and training in UK are undertaken in National Health Service (NHS) employment and so the trainer specialist is paid during the training period.


All doctors intending to practise medicine in the UK are required to be registered with the GMC, follow the GMC’s good medical practice guidance and be subject to the GMC Fitness to Practise actions. Doctors who hold registration but not a licence may be working as an academic or outside the UK. They cannot undertake any of the activities – clinical work – for which UK law requires them to hold a licence to practise.

Doctors who have never been registered with the GMC will have to apply for registration with a licence to practise. They will not be able to apply for registration without a licence.

The requirements for registration in the UK will depend on a number of factors:

  • your nationality
  • the country in which you gained your primary medical qualification
  • the type of work you want to do
  • whether or not you have completed a period of post-graduate training or an internship

First you should check that you possess an acceptable primary medical qualification to apply for registration. If you are in any doubt you should check your qualifications status with the GMC.

In addition, international medical graduates (IMGs) will be required to demonstrate their medical knowledge and skills, and all applicants may have to demonstrate they are competent in using the English language before they are registered. NHS Employers has published a helpful guide for IMGs on its website.

Being registered with the GMC does not guarantee that you will find employment within the UK.

EEA countries

The EEA comprises the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and the UK.

Rights of EEA doctors

EEA nationals (or non-EEA nationals with EC rights) who have qualified in an EEA member state have reciprocal rights to work in any country of the EEA. Therefore, you will be treated the same as a British national when applying for posts in the UK. This may be a training post or, if you’ve achieved your Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or equivalent, a permanent consultant post.

Registration with the General Medical Council (GMC)

You will need to register with the General Medical Council (GMC) before undertaking direct patient care. EEA nationals with qualifications from their own country (or whose qualifications have been accepted by another EEA member state) will get reciprocal full registration with the GMC. EEA nationals aren’t required to take the PLAB or other English language test.

Applying for specialty training posts in the UK

UK medical graduates must undertake the 2-year foundation programme before applying for specialty training. All doctors entering postgraduate specialty training must have completed 24 months of experience since gaining their primary medical qualification, whether in the UK or in another country, and must provide evidence of completion of foundation programme competencies.

If you’re applying from the EEA for entry into specialty training and haven’t completed the UK foundation programme in the last 3 years, you’ll need to submit alternative evidence by asking a consultant who’s supervised you for at least 3 months during the last 3 years to attest to your achievement of foundation programme competences. You’ll need to produce an ‘alternative certificate’, completed by this doctor, confirming that you have had equivalent training to the UK foundation programme.

For more information, visit the UK’s specialty training and recruitment website.

Transferring to the UK training programme

If you’re an EEA national who’s undertaken a period of recognised training towards a CCT in your own country, you can apply through open competition for transfer to the UK, and will be placed in the appropriate year of training for your experience. On completion of training, you’ll obtain a UK Certificate of Completion of Training (CCT) or Certificate of Eligibility for Specialist Registration – Combined Programme (CESR(CP)). However, please note that there are very few posts in the UK at ST3 and above and the competition is fierce.

If you’ve already obtained a CCT from an EEA country, you may apply for subspecialty training in the UK.

When applying for these positions, remember that you must have the appropriate registration documents and have already registered with the GMC to work as a doctor in the UK.