Online Bachelor’s Degree In Computer Science. Lots of students believe that a computer science degree is out of their budget but this is not the case! Here are free online bachelor’s degrees in computer science that will allow you to study on your own timetable, set your own schedule, and even earn money while you learn.
If you’re looking for information on Free Online Bachelors Degree In Computer Science, you’ll find Collegelearners to be a great resource. If you’re looking for a Free Online Bachelor’s Degree In Computer Science, you can’t go wrong with College Learners.com.
Free Online Bachelors Degree In Computer Science
E-learning platforms such as Coursera and edX offer free online courses in computer science — with optional paid certificates of completion — from schools like Harvard, MIT, Stanford, the University of Michigan, and more from the best colleges in the world.
List of Free Online Computer Science Courses and Classes
Free Online Computer Science Courses
A large variety of free computer science courses are available online. These courses don’t require students to register or pay tuition, but they also don’t lead to college credit. Free online computer science courses with certificates are difficult to find, but students who want to earn alternative forms of credit might consider courses that charge a fee in exchange for access to online course materials.
Best Free Online Computer Science Courses
As part of their OpenCourseWare (OCW) efforts, several universities offer free, online courses in computer science and related fields, like information technology. These courses vary in terms of the types of learning materials made available to self-directed learners and don’t offer interaction with instructors, grades or credit. Special software, such as document readers or media players, may be needed to access course materials.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
MIT’s Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science offers an extensive variety of OCW from computer science courses at the undergraduate and graduate levels. The computer science courses list, coming from the department’s undergraduate offerings, includes the following:
- Elements of Software Construction covers software development theory and methods. Students learn how to write straightforward code and debug programs. Course materials include lecture notes, assignments, and exams.
- Introduction to Computer Science and Programming is a free online programming course that goes over the foundational knowledge on this topic. Course materials include 24 video lectures, assignments, sample problems, and exams. Readings from the textbook are available online for free, and students in this course can interact with others through an online study group.
- Mathematics for Computer Science allows students to learn modeling and analysis of mathematical processes used in computers, with a strong focus on proofs, logic, and discrete probability principles. The text is available in PDF format on the course site. Additional materials include lecture notes, problem sets, and exams.
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs covers the basics of programming languages and may complete several programming projects. Free materials supplementing the 20 video lectures include an online version of the textbook, assigned readings, descriptions of programming projects, exams, and solutions. Students in this course may also ask questions through a link to a free online study group.
The Open University
A distance education provider based in the United Kingdom, the Open University makes learning materials from many of its courses available on its OpenLearn website.
- Computers and Computer Systems offers simple explanations of computer systems, components, and functions. This class is similar to a Computer Science 101 course and explores topics that include binary code, search engines, and database technologies. Students can obtain illustrated lecture notes and complete activities and quizzes.
- An Introduction to Data and Information is for beginners with minimal or no computer background. Lessons include how to use a search engine, Internet sales, and how computers can map the human genome. Students can access a complete set of lecture notes, with examples and activities.
- The Incredible Shrinking Chip is an intermediate-level one-hour unit presented through lecture notes and video clips. The unit looks at the invention of the microchip in Scotland in 1947, how the technology has advanced, and what the future holds.
University of Michigan
- Cyberscience: Computational Science and the Rise of the Fourth Paradigm is an honors course in which students examine the role of computers in science and how their use has changed scientific inquiry. Students can access notes from 17 lectures and download the required textbook for free.
- Networked Computing: Storage, Communication, and Processing covers topics that include computer architecture, Web technologies, security, and database modeling. Lecture notes and select lecture videos are available, as well as a downloadable textbook on learning the Python programming language, assignments, handouts, and additional readings.
Utah State University
- Error Coding looks at how to write code to detect and correct errors in programs. Prior understanding of probability, communications, and linear algebra is recommended. Students can review PDFs of lecture notes on topics including linear block codes and cyclic codes. Two homework assignments, consisting of exercises from the required textbook, are included with this course information.
- Information Theory provides students with a foundation for research in data compression, pattern recognition, and other topics. Advanced mathematics skills are necessary for success in this course. Students have access to a syllabus with a required textbook list and can download lecture notes, homework assignments, and programming assignments.
In conclusion, although a computer science degree online free is difficult to find, there are ways to find free courses in computer science from reputable universities online.
Free Online Colleges
Looking for a college education that will cost little to nothing? Believe it or not, it can happen! There are several accredited colleges and universities that will allow you to take college courses and even some that will allow you to earn a degree for little to no money.
Some of these schools require you to have a natural talent in a specific area, such as music. However, there are universities that are open to religious studies, engineering and many other fields that may interest you. Free online schooling is available thanks to many people who donate to education and founders of these schools who believe in higher education for everyone.
free computer science degree
Free Online Degree Programs
University of the People
UoPeople is the first free accredited online university. It offers degrees in Computer Science as well as Health Science. You can complete a 2-year associate’s degree, 4-year Bachelor’s degree or an MBA, all online. This free college is recognized by the United States Department of Education, Distance Education Accrediting Commission as well as the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. University of the People is dedicated to providing high-quality education to those who otherwise may not be able to afford it.
While UoPeople is a tuition-free college, it does require that each applicant pays a $60 Application Processing Fee. It also charges $100 for an Exam Processing Fee for each exam that is taken. In order to complete the Associate’s Degree, there are 20 exams, which will cost $2000. The Bachelor’s program has 40 exams, costing $4000. However, UoPeople does offer scholarships to those who may not be able to afford the exams.
PDMF University was created out of necessity. The founders of this online, free college felt that the world would be a better place if education was offered to those who traditionally could not afford to seek a college education. These same founders also saw a need to provide education to everyone, regardless of location; creating online courses.
Keep in mind that PDMF does require that you make a “donation” of a specified amount if you are looking to receive a hard copy of your grades or your diploma. You will also be required to make a specified donation if you require any verification services from this free online college. Fees range from $200 USD to roughly $800 USD, depending on which country you are located.
This tuition-free university is accredited through the International Council for Open and Distance Education. While it states that it offers legal and legitimate degrees in the U.S., it also states that it is not accredited by the accrediting sources used by the U.S. Department of Education.
free online computer engineering courses with certificate
edX offers free online college courses which are designed for high school students, preparing to take college entrance exams, as well as those who are interested in learning what college courses may be like. This free online school also offers courses for those who are looking to further their career, as well as those who just have a desire to learn more.
edX offers three different certificate options, which include the MicroMasters Certificate, Professional Certificate, and the XSeries Certificate. The MicroMasters Certificate may provide credits needed to help speed up the process of receiving a Master’s Degree. The Professional Certificate shows employers that you have mastered certain skills which may further your career and provide advancement opportunities. The XSeries Certificate shows that you have taken the time to learn certain subjects in-depth.
University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge has partnered with Apple to create it’s tuition free college available in iTunes U. This educational opportunity allows you to download both audio and video versions of courses. In order to download these classes, students need to download iTunes, however you do not need to have an Apple product as long as you have a media player that will play MP4 videos or AAC audio files.
These free online college courses are gathered from public videos, podcasts, lectures and other educational costs. You can take free online courses in art, science, philosophy and more. However, you do not have the opportunity to earn any type of certificate or diploma with these free online college courses.
Columbia University’s free online courses are listed under Columbiax, as they use the edX platform. If you are acquiring knowledge without the need of a degree or diploma, you have the option to “audit” the courses, at no charge. However, if you are looking to earn a certificate, these courses will cost you a little bit of money.
Columbia’s mission is to provide everyone a chance at higher learning, especially those who may not have the finances to take traditional university courses. Columbia offers a wide variety of programs, so there is something for just about everyone. Some of the free online courses that this college offers include Robotics, Psychology, Python Analytics, Data Science and even Artificial Intelligence.
Massachusetts Information of Technology
MIT is another college that offers online courses at no cost. Classes are delivered to you via OpenCourseWare, which incorporates audio/video lectures and online textbooks. MIT takes a different approach that most online colleges, as it provides its entire curriculum to the public, instead of only certain courses. Adding an additional level of education, MIT also includes Faculty Teaching Insights to its students. This is created to help you have a better understanding of the subjects you are studying, through the view of the instructors.
Since MIT chooses to provide all of its curricula to students at no cost, you can choose to learn about any subject that MIT offers. You also have the ability to start most courses at any time you wish. You also have the option of picking and choosing which subjects you want to learn about within its free online courses. Keep in mind that while MIT’s free courses will provide a wealth of information to you, there is no diploma or certificate offered for any of the courses.
Open education is a movement that makes online education courses available to everyone for free. Open courseware is even offered by reputable, established traditional schools, like MIT, Utah State University, and the University of Massachusetts. Here are some of the best free courses online by subject area.