Skip to content

Job Opportunities in Europe After MS

Last Updated on November 23, 2021 by

Job opportunities in Europe after MS is a guide for people who have multiple sclerosis and are interested in living and working in Europe. It describes the policies and procedures involved in applying for an EU Blue Card (for people with a European qualification) and an EU Registration Certificate (for people without a European qualification), and provides detailed information about which EU countries offer state disability benefits.

Would you like to have access to or know about job opportunities in UK after MS, job opportunities after MS, or marine biology masters Europe and job opportunities in Europe for international students? Get ready! Here at Collegelearners you can find out more about best country to study and work in Europe. Check Collegelearners for answers and you can get the knowledge you so rightfully deserve.

Financial and investment analysts | Occupational Profiles

job opportunities after MS

A recent report by higher education data experts QS found that the single biggest factor that students consider when choosing a university is their chance of landing a good job when they complete their course. With increasing numbers of students opting to study abroad, and many intending to work abroad in the same country when they graduate, a crucial consideration is the strength of the employment market for degree-holders. In the 2015 Times Higher Education employability rankings, which measures graduate prospects for each major university around the world, the top 50 places were dominated by universities in just a handful of countries. The US and UK took most of the top spots, and the only other countries to have a significant presence in the table were France, Germany, Australia, China and Canada.

It is not a new thing that in most EU countries, working while studying is totally possible. Either with a student visa or with a student work permit you will be allowed to work, generally part-time during the school year and full-time during holidays. But which are the countries that have the best prospects for work after study? Especially with an MS degree.

Let’s explore your options together:

The strength of the work stream for degree-holders is an imperative consideration. Why? The increasing count of students opting to study abroad, and those who intend to work in the same country after their graduation. After all, a big majority of international students want to recover their expenses (tuition fees and other costs).

This is why MS holders can be one step ahead and even get to find jobs faster.

Job Opportunities In Europe After MS

#1 Germany

Once you’ve graduated from a Masters programme in Germany, you can apply for a residence permit that grants you 18 months to search for a suitable job. All you need to apply for the application are the following documents:

  • Your passport
  • Your university (or a certified document from your university confirming that you’ve graduated)
  • A health insurance certificate
  • Proof that you can support yourself financially (or a declaration of commitment from a guarantor)

This permit will allow you to undertake any kind of paid employment while you find a job that suits your qualifications.

When you’ve received an employment offer that matches your career plans, you can apply to extend your residence permit. If you’ve been offered a salary of €50,800 or more, you can apply for an EU Blue Card that allows you to work and live across the EU.

Whichever route you take, you can usually apply for a permanent residence permit after two years.

#2 The Netherlands

In the Netherlands you can apply for an ‘orientation year’ (also known as zoekjaar in Dutch) that allows you to search for work for one year after graduating from your Masters at a Dutch university. Applying for the orientation year costs €171.

There aren’t any restrictions on the type of employment you can take up during this orientation year, but after a year you’ll need to apply for a residence permit with status of a highly-skilled migrant.

In order to qualify for this status, you need to be earning a gross salary of €2,364 per month (the amount changes from year to year). You’ll also need to pay an application fee of €285.

#3 Sweden

If you studied your Masters at a Swedish university, you can apply for a residence permit after graduating that allows you to seek employment in the country for up to six months. You’ll need a comprehensive healthcare insurance policy, a valid passport and proof that you have at least SEK 8,370 per month (€770) available to support yourself.

At the end of the initial six-month period, you can apply for a work permit if you’ve received a permanent job offer that fulfils the following conditions:

  • A gross monthly salary of SEK 13,000 (€1,197)
  • Terms of employment which are customary in the industry you’ll be working in
  • Health and life insurance
  • Employment and pension benefits

#4 Canada

International students in Canada can apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) after their studies have finished. The length of this permit depends on how long the Masters was:

  • If it was between eight and two years long, the PGWP will be valid for the length of your programme
  • If your course was two or more years long, the PGWP will be valid for three years

The PGWP allows you to undertake any form of employment. The experience you gain can help you qualify for the Canadian Experience Class, one of the routes to permanent residence in Canada.

#5 Australia

Australia’s Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485) allows international graduates to stay in the country for the following periods of time:

  • Two years after finishing a taught Masters
  • Three years after finishing a research Masters

The visa costs AUD $1,650 (USD $1,115) and allows you to live, work and study in Australia. In order to be eligible, you’ll need to:

  • Be under the age of 50
  • Satisfy English proficiency requirements (unless you have a passport from the UK, Ireland, USA, Canada or New Zealand)
  • Hold health insurance
  • Meet Australian health requirements
  • Sign the Australian values statement

Work Permit in Europe After Masters

After graduating from university, with a bachelors or masters diploma in your pocket, you may have grown to love the city you are living in and want to stay in Europe. Be aware that there are rules and regulations that apply to working in a European country. EU citizens can work in other EU countries without needing a visa or a work permit, but if they want to work in other European countries, visa and work permits are required. For non-EU citizens, a work visa or work permit is always required. It makes sense to find out about this before you decide where to study.

Many European countries are looking to attract international talent to diversify their economies. Most countries offer a specific visa for these talents to come (or stay) and work in their country. For instance, Italy offers a Startup Visa, to retain non-EU innovators that want to establish a start-up in Italy. Estonia and Finland offer something similar. The Netherlands and Germany offer specific visa for non-EU job seekers, allowing them to look for a job for a limited period of time. France has a special talent visa called “passeport talent”. But wherever you want to stay, there is always a visa or permit suited for your situation. Applying may turn out to be complicated, as rules differ per country. But don’t let it stop you from following your dreams.


Whether you decide to find a job back home or apply for a job in Europe: remember that your diploma and your soft skills are valuable assets. Another useful thing to have is a professional network. Your network can provide you with job vacancies and tips for employment. Especially if you decide to stay abroad, a network can provide you with insights about the local work culture. Don’t be afraid to ask (local) friends to review your CV and motivation letters. Or link up to your university’s alumni network to meet people in the field. Many of the soft skills you develop during your studies abroad are really useful for your job search. Take initiative, be confident and you’ll stand a strong chance of finding a job that you love.

countries with job opportunities for foreigners

While the language aspect is important, what’s perhaps more important is to select countries that have good job prospects in general. You’ll want to find the country that has a work culture that matches your own style as well as your schedule as a student.

Based on data provided by both Eurostat and the OECD, Glassdoor ranked these 5 countries as best to get a job:

  • Estonia – perfect scores for temporary employment, temporary youth employment, and part-time work.
  • Norway – considered ideal for think-thank jobs, Norway has a very high employment rate, not to mention it’s one of the wealthiest countries in the world.
  • The UK – while part-time work does not have a high score in the UK, the country still ranks third because of low unemployment rates.
  • Austria – one of few countries to have more people in employment than prior to the economic crisis.
  • Denmark – has one of the lowest youth unemployment rates.

While these countries have a very appealing job market, you should also consider that most of them are pretty expensive to live in.  Additionally, because they are so alluring there’s probably a tougher competition for jobs.

Job Opportunities In Europe for International Students

Since your main reason for going to a European country is to study, you should consider aiming for countries that not only have good job prospects, but also a good work-life balance. This balance will be essential if you want to both work and complete your Master’s degree successfully. Remember that graduate studies will probably require at least 40 hours per week of course work, reading, labs, etc.

According to OECD, the cherry picks in terms of work-life balance are:

  • Netherlands – more hours of leisure per day then of work? We want that!
  • Denmark – support for working parents is impressive!
  • France – a law that specifically says you have the right to disconnect from after-hours work e-mails sounds just fine for us!
  • Spain – siestas make all the difference!
  • Belgium – a country that totally says yes to family time over work time!

And here are some other universities you can check out in these countries:

  • University of Twente (UT), in the Netherlands
  • University of Liege, in Belgium
  • Barcelona School of Management, in Spain

An infographic cited by Forbes Magazine in 2017 confirms that Europe is the main choice for American International students, with the UK being a favourite destination because of the lack of language barriers, followed by Italy and Spain which are attractive because of the warm climate.  But now you also know the best country options for you to work during your studies. Make your pick, find the right universities and programmes and start applying!

job opportunities in UK after MS Soft Skills

When looking for a job, soft skills are almost as important as knowledge, experience and study background. Luckily, as an international student, you have (unconsciously) been working on those during your stay abroad. To name but a few:

  • Intercultural communication: when moving to another country, you will find that communication works in a different way from what you’re used to. People may be more direct, or more ‘polite’. This may lead to challenging situations, but these situations help you adapt to a new culture and learn to communicate in a culture-sensitive way. This is an important skill to have, especially when you want to work in an international environment.
  • Adaptability: Living in a new country, you will have to adapt to this country’s ways. You’ll eat new foods and have to deal with different weather: your reactions to these are just two examples of how you can deal with changes to your environment. Knowing how to adapt will also prove very valuable when you start a new job.
  • Problem-solving: Life is full of challenges, so practise how to manage change when you’re in a familiar setting. This will make easier to tackle change at a time when you feel less comfortable. Outside your comfort zone you will also learn how to be resourceful and creative as you come up with solutions.
  • Self-reliance: the journey of studying abroad will mostly a solo one. You are going to another country on your own, and will have to find your own way. This means it is up to you to create a new comfort zone for yourself. Be ready for this, and get used to relying on yourself, your skills and your decisions. Self-reliance brings more self-confidence and a greater feeling of independence too.
  • Initiative: for most people, things do not simply fall into their laps. You have to work for them, be outgoing and proactive. Without your usual network around you, taking initiative is absolutely essential to make new friends, achieve your goals and adapt to a new country. And by the way, a clear sense of initiative is probably the main thing that employers are looking for.

And it is not only these five skills. To cut a long story short: studying abroad will change your life and yourself. And it may well give you a head start over the other people applying for that job.

Join the conversation

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *