Last Updated on August 23, 2022 by Ngefechukwu Maduka
Students opting for Masters in Biotechnology in Germany can pursue the degree at a cost as low as 103 Eur a year. Some German Universities do not charge any tuition fees at all for higher education. You get a wide band of specialization including MSc. in Biotechnology, MSc. in Molecular Biotechnology, MSc. in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology and MSc. in Food Biotechnology.
- Courses offered by the German Institutes in Masters in Biotechnology extend up to 1.5-2 years.
- Most of the German Institutes do not charge any tuition fees but the overall tuition fees vary from 103 EUR a year to 3000 EUR a year, which are charged by some of the institutes.
- The average starting salary of a Biotechnology graduate varies from 76,000 EUR/year to 103,000 EUR/year.
MS in Biotechnology is a field of science and biology which deals with innovation based on biology. Biotechnology tackles cell and biomolecular procedures to create advancements and items that help in improving our lives and the wellbeing of our planet.
Are you interested in obtaining valuable information on biotechnology masters in Germany in English, salary of biotechnology in Germany, best universities in Germany for masters in biotechnology, DAAD biotechnology, amongst others? Collegelearners is the right stop for you. Be sure to visit our catalog for more information on related topics.
masters in biotechnology in germany
- According to QS, German medical universities along with its technical schools are among the top 5% universities in the world.
- German Universities charge low tuition fees or none at all, which makes it a prime destination for international students to pursue master’s degrees.
- DAAD and Deutschlandstipendium are the generic scholarship providers, which provides up to 50% of the scholarships on tuition fees and accommodation.
- Based on the recent study by ICEF Monitor( Market Intelligence for International Students Recruitment), over 300,000 students have chosen Germany as their study destination.
- With an unemployment rate of only 3.1%, Germany provides an average salary of 76,000-103,000 EUR/Year to the master graduates.
One might think why not study masters in biotechnology from USA and why Germany, well the answer to this is that Germay lacks no where with its technical competence which goes hand in hand with good deal of pharmaceutical and chemical companies. Some of these are Bayer, BASF, and Evonik.Additional added advantage of studying in Germany over USA is the cheaper cost which makes it an affordable international study destination.
Masters in Biotechnology in Germany: Top Universities
Mentioned below are the top colleges providing Masters Degree in Biotechnology in Germany. The table below will make you familiar with the tuition fees, duration of the program and the application deadlines.
|University||CWUR Ranking||Tuition Fees in EUR (Yearly)||Name of the course||Duration and Deadline Month|
|Masters in Biotechnology|
|Saarland University||#494||0 EUR||MSc. in Biotechnology||2 Years|
|University of Applied Sciences Hochschule Mannheim||#979||3000 EUR||MSc. in Biotechnology||1.5 Years|
|Brandenburg University of Technology||#1122||312 EUR||MSc. in Biotechnology||2 Years|
July 15, 2020
|Specializations in Biotechnology|
|University of Heidelberg||#72||3000 EUR||MSc. in Molecular Biotechnology||2 Years|
|Technical University Munich||#112||103 EUR||MSc. in Molecular Biotechnology||2 Years|
|University of Bonn||#115||0 EUR||Msc. in Molecular Biotechnology and Biotech||2 Years|
|Hamburg University of Applied Sciences||#125||0 EUR||MSc. in Pharmaceutical Biotechnology||2 Years|
|Goethe University of Frankfurt||#149||0 EUR||MSc. in Molecular Biotechnology||2 Years|
|University of Leipzig||#316||0 EUR||Msc. in Chemistry and Biotechnology||1.5 Years|
|Justus Liebig University Gissen GieBen||#370||0 EUR||MSc. in Agro-Biotech|
MSc. in Insect Biotech & Bioresources
|University of Hohenheim||#779||3000 EUR||MSc. in Food Biotechnology||2 Years|
pharmaceutical biotechnology course
|Courses Available||MS in Biotechnology, Agro-Biotechnology, Insect Bio-Technology, Pharmaceutical Biotechnology, Food Biotechnology, Chemistry and Biotechnology, Molecular Biotechnology|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant subject|
For Indian students, some universities also require GATE scores.
|Entrance Exams and their average cut-offs||GRE- 300-310|
IELTS-6-7 German Language requirement- Partially required.
GOETHE Certificate- Accepted
|Course Duration||1.5-2 Years|
|Course Type||Full Time|
|Average Tuition Fees||0-3000 EUR/Year|
|Top Recruiters||Siemens AG, Phaidon International, Clariant North America, KWS Group, LI-COR|
|Average Salary||76000-103000 EUR/annum|
Masters in Biotechnology in Germany: Admission Process
Students need to have an equivalent 4 years of bachelor’s degree in the relevant subject with an average score of 300-310 in GRE for applying for the master’s degree in biotechnology in Germany.It is important for students to note that eligibility may or may note vary depending on the university offering MS in Biotechnology in Germany:
Eligibility Criteria for Masters in Biotechbology in Germany
- Equivalent 4 years of Bachelor’s degree in the relevant subject with a minimum cut off of 7.0 GPA on the 10.0 scale or equivalent 70%.
- Depending on the university norms some institutes might also look for a valid GATE score for the Indian students.
University wise Cut-off for the Entrance Exams
|University Name||Entrance Exams Cut-offs|
|University of Applied Sciences Hochschule Mannheim||GRE: Accepted|
|Brandenburg University of Technology||IELTS:6.0|
|University of Heidelberg||GRE:Accepted|
|Technical University Munich||GRE:310|
|University of Bonn||GRE:200+|
|Hamburg University of Applied Sciences||IELTS:6.5|
|Goethe University of Frankfurt||GRE:Accepted|
|University of Leipzig||IELTS:6|
|Justus Liebig University Gissen GieBen||GRE:320|
|University of Hohenheim||IELTS:6.5|
- German Language requirement is partially required for the MS in Biotechnology in Germany, as most of the master’s courses in German are taught in English.
- Some of the German Proficiency exams are DAAD, TESTDaf, DSH, etc. DSH level II is usually required for oursuing masters in Germany or B2 level of German language proficiency must be attained.
- Update Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
- Letter of Recommendation from the respective University.
German Student Visa
Students planning to join German institutes for pursuing their masters in biotechnology from Germany need to have a student’s visa, which is categorized into two parts:
- Schengen VISA: Permits you to stay and avail of a course in Germany for 90 days only. The visa fees is 60 EUR
- National VISA: Permits you to stay in Germany for more than 90 days, along with this you also need to have a resident permit. The visa fees is 75 EUR
Students from EU countries like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland do need VISA to study in Germany. Students from the US, Canada, Australia, New-Zealand, Japan, South Korea too do not require to have students VISA to study in Germany, though they need a residence permit within 2 weeks of their arrival to the country.