Montgomery College International Student

Last Updated on September 8, 2022 by Alvina Ibe

International Students at Montgomery College

Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the application options may change. Please contact us by email about your application process during this time. More COVID-19 pandemic information for international students. College is the most diverse community college in the continental US. We participated in the #YouAreWelcomeHere campaign to affirm that we welcome students from all backgrounds.

MC is proud to welcome students from 160 different countries around the world. 

Located on three suburban campuses near Washington, DC, Montgomery College (MC) is a welcoming, diverse site of learning for almost 60,000 students each year.  MC offers a variety of credit and noncredit courses and programs for students whose first language is not English.

Do You Need a Student Visa? 

If you do not live in the United States and do not have a visa that allows you to study in the US, you must apply for a form I-20 to obtain a student visa (F-1 or M-1) before enrolling at Montgomery College. 

Permanent Resident/Green Card and Immigrant Visa students must review additional information and then apply. 

DACA and Dreamer students can find more information here, and then apply.

Non-Immigrant Visa students (categories A, E, G, H I, J, K, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, and V ) should apply here.  But please note: if this status is ending (dependents turning 21 years old, or persons ending the employment which gave them a non-immigrant status, etc.) within the next 9 to 12 months, see the MC International Coordinator’s Office to apply for a form I-20 to get F-1 or M-1 status. 

Non-Immigrants in B, C, D, F-2, or ESTA/WT status should learn more about student visa types and when to consider changing to a student visa/status.

International Students: Getting Started

In this section you’ll find helpful direction and information for beginning your education at Montgomery College.Skip sectionTypes of Student Visas

Find out how to apply for a new I-20 from outside the US, from inside the US, and how to transfer an I-20.

If you are outside of the US, you are required to take a standardized exam to demonstrate your level of English proficiency.
Selecting an Academic Program

Student visas require students to choose a degree program or ESL program. MC also offers certificates and letters of recognition students may complete during their degree studies. The General Education program is part of of every degree program at Montgomery College.Credit students are working towards either a career/technical certificate or a degree program at MC, or are taking courses that will be eligible to transfer to a program at another college or university. In some cases, students take courses that are offered for credit for personal reasons or skills updating, even if they do not need the college credit. Credit students pay application fees, take assessment tests, and complete the placement processes.

Look for classes and programs in the credit course catalog.Noncredit or WDCE students are taking courses for personal or professional interest. These courses do not offer college credit, but in some cases WDCE students can earn continuing education units, certification or other evidence of class completion to meet personal or professional requirements. Noncredit courses are often co-listed side-by-side with credit courses.

Look for classes and programs in the noncredit course catalog.

International Studies

International Studies Program

Administered by the History and Political Science Department, you can pursue an international studies concentration within the arts and sciences associate of arts degree. It is a multidisciplinary degree that encompasses more than 10 disciplines.

The international studies degree concentration is designed for students who envision a career in the international arena and plan to transfer into the upper division of another college or university with the intention of continuing their studies in such areas as international relations or area studies, and subsequently working in this field, be it in government, international organizations, trade, finances, business, or related areas.

International Studies Degree

Learn more about program outcomes, required courses, transfer opportunities, and career information.Associate of Arts

  • International Studies AA Degree

Related Programs and Courses

General Studies Degree

Students who major in general studies explore personal, professional, and academic areas of interest within a flexible framework supporting transfer.

Workforce Development and Continuing Education

MC offers a wide variety of noncredit classes. These courses are designed to help you upgrade your skills, pursue career training, or learn something new.

Financial Information

Evidence of Financial Support

For current students needing to change their sponsor or provide new sponsor documents to extend their I-20, please review Evidence of Financial Support.

Wire Transfer Information – International Payments

Montgomery College has partnered with Flywire for international payments.

This services provides students and their families a cost effective and convenient method of making payments to Montgomery College in foreign currencies.

Flywire allows you to:

  • Pay from any country and any bank
  • Save money on bank fees and ensure your payment is received in full
  • Obtain excellent foreign exchange rates with a best rate guarantee
  • Receive a piece of mind with 24×7 multilingual customer support
  • Track your payment from start to finish

 Need to make an international payment?PAY NOW WITH FLYWIRE

For questions about making a payment with Flywire, you can email [email protected] ​

Financial Help for International Students

The Term “Financial Aid” usually applies to the program funded by the United States government to assist US Citizens and Permanent Residents with college costs.  The College office that has information about this program, scholarship programs, and loans is named The Financial Aid Office at Montgomery College.

Montgomery College does not have specific scholarships for International Students, although F-1 students are eligible to apply for some Scholarship programs at the College.

Students born outside the United States, scholarships can be an invaluable help toward achieving that dream. Whether you’re a new immigrant, a student going on to graduate school, or a learner returning to college, there’s international scholarship assistance out there for your studies in the United States. For more information please visit An International Student’s Guide to U.S. Scholarshipsnew window.

I. MC Scholarships

Many organizations, businesses, and individuals make generous gifts to the Montgomery College Foundation, which fund the scholarships that help Montgomery College students achieve their educational goals. Scholarships are available for Montgomery College students who are in good academic standing and have financial need. In addition, applicants must be enrolled for at least six credit hours and ideally be U.S. citizens or permanent residents. Limited assistance is available for non-citizens. If selected for a scholarship, recipients must agree to:

  • Write an undated letter of thanks to the scholarship sponsor(s). (If selected for a scholarship, the Scholarship Office will provide you with the information.)
  • Attend a meeting of the sponsoring club or organization, if requested, and if your class and work schedule allows.
  • Attend the Montgomery College scholarship recognition event to thank donors and promote the scholarship program, if your class and work schedule allows.

To apply for these scholarships, you must sign in here. If you have any questions, e-mail Patricia Lopez. Keep in mind that even if you apply, you may not receive an award.

II. Other Scholarships for Students

Most scholarships are designed for students who have already been at the College for a term.  Look in our Paying for College section under Institutional and Outside grants, as the others include government money so can only go to Citizens and Permanent residents.

The College Board of Trustee Scholarships and other programs that are NOT supported by United States government funding are open to all students to apply for.

III. Honors Programs

International Students are eligible to apply Honors Programs, such as STEM Scholars Program and Renaissance Scholars. Some Honors Programs offer financial assistance. Enrolling in Honors Programs may help with future scholarship applications.

See details about our Honors Programsnew window.

IV. Financial Alternatives

International Students MAY be able to take out private loans, through banks or other lending institutions.  Most of these loans will require a “Co-signer” (a person with a good, credit history that can be checked inside the United States and who will promise to pay the loan if the student cannot).

There are a lot of private scholarships available for students who are not U.S. citizens. Visit College Scholarships for International Students and Non-Citizensnew window for more information.

Below is other information on types of financial assistance available to international students that the International Coordinators Office has received information about. The Student must check to be sure of the current situation with any of this information. The International Coordinator’s Office does not have any responsibility for the information below or any further information than what is listed here.Apply for Interest-Free Educational Loans

The Rowe Fund Loan Program of the Organization of American States provides interest-free loans to international students from Latin America and the Caribbean. Eligibility requirements and application forms can be found herenew window. 

Deadline: Applications reviewed year-round.

V. Transfer Institutions offering International Students Scholarships

There are several institutions that offer international student scholarships. We are always updating with new information .

  • Unity College Transfer Scholarshipsnew window: Unity College offer new and transfer international students a generous financial help, reducing tuition by up to 50%! They also offer 16 environmentally and wildlife focused baccalaureate programs.  
  • Goucher Collegenew window
  • West Chester University information (PDF, )  
  • West Chester Program (PDF, )  
  • International Student Transfer Fact Sheet (PDF, )  
  • Towson University Merit Scholarship (PDF, )  
  • Make your move to Towson! (PDF, )  
  • Wilson Presidential Scholarship, University of Baltimorenew window