Last Updated on December 22, 2022 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
Northeastern University’s Computer Science department is consistently ranked one of the top 10 in the country by U.S. News and World Report, and is among the most selective of all computer science departments in the United States.
What makes Northeastern University’s computer science program one of the best? A highly selective admissions process that admits fewer than 10 percent of applicants; a top-notch research faculty; high-tech labs; and fascinating projects such as mobile health and big data.
You can find details regarding Northeastern University computer science ranking U S news, Northeastern University ranking, Northeastern University world ranking. Just keep on reading to receive the most updated information.
You will also discover related posts on Northwestern University computer science ranking, Northeastern University data science ranking, Northeastern University acceptance rate on Collegelearners.
Northeastern University Computer Science Overview
Graduates with a degree in computer science can pursue careers as computer and information research scientists, computer network architects, and computer system analysts. As the demand for new and better technologies increases, the need for highly skilled computer science professionals is also expected to increase.
Science in Computer Science
Fall & Spring (Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley, Align only – San Francisco)Application Deadlines:Domestic Students:
Fall 2020: August 15; Spring 2021: December 15
MSCS – Fall: August 15MSCS – Spring: December 15Align – Fall: August 15Align – Spring: November 15 (Boston, Seattle, Silicon Valley)Align – Spring: January 1 (San Francisco)
Fall 2020: April 15; Spring 2021: October 26MSCS – Fall: April 15MSCS – Spring: October 15Align – Fall (Boston & Seattle): May 1
Align – Fall (Silicon Valley): June 1Align – Spring: October 15
Credits Required for Graduation
32 Semester Hours
Northeastern University World Ranking
Northeastern University’s Master of Science in Computer Science, offered by the Khoury College of Computer Sciences, is designed to prepare students for a variety of careers in computer science. The program combines both computing and important application domains and is designed for experienced professionals seeking to enhance their knowledge and expand their technology leadership responsibilities in organizations that design, develop, market, or utilize computing systems.
- #16 in Regional Universities West
- #3 in Best Undergraduate Teaching
- #40 in Best Value Schools
- #5 in Most Innovative Schools
- #9 in Top Performers on Social Mobility
- #4 in Top Public Schools
- Business Programs
- #33 in Best Undergraduate Engineering Programs (tie)At schools where doctorate not offered
- #7 in Civil (tie)At schools where doctorate not offered
- #3 in ComputerAt schools where doctorate not offered
- #12 in Electrical / Electronic / Communications (tie)At schools where doctorate not offered
- Mechanical At schools where doctorate not offered
What makes Northeastern’s MS in Computer Science unique?
- Our program is fully customizable: The MS in Computer Science program is designed for working professionals and allows you to tailor your academic journey to fit your professional goals and needs. Choose to take our program online, on-ground, in a hybrid format (a mix of online and on-ground), full-time, or part-time. You can also choose from 11 concentrations ensuring that your education is aligned with your specific area of interest. Concentrations include:
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Science
- Game Design
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Programming Language
- Software Engineering
- Our network of corporate partners and alumni span the globe: Our alumni work at companies that include Amazon, Microsoft, Deloitte, Cartera Commerce, Inc. and more.
- Northeastern’s signature co-op program: You’ll have an opportunity to not only gain real-world experience in the computer science industry, but to also earn some of your tuition back through our experiential learning offerings.
Are you looking to break into tech but lack computer science experience?
The Northeastern University Align program provides a direct path to a Master of Science in Computer Science for non-computer science majors without programming experience.
As a CS Align student, you’ll take advantage of rigorous academic bridge courses that prepare you for master’s level coursework. You’ll also gain real-world work experience through a co-op or internship at one of our many industry partners—including firms like Amazon, Google, and Zillow.
You’ll have the unique opportunity to:
- Leverage academic bridge courses to link your undergraduate experience to your computer science concentration, without earning a second bachelor’s degree.
- Get a head start on your career and gain real-world work experience through experiential learning opportunities like our graduate co-op.
- Choose the flexible learning model that fits your needs at one of our graduate campuses in Boston, Charlotte, Silicon Valley, San Francisco, or Seattle.
- Forge connections with an extensive global alumni network in companies ranging from startups to Google, Microsoft, Amazon, and PayPal.
- Benefit from career counseling services that are consistently ranked by the Princeton Review as being among the best in the country.
northeastern university khoury college of computer science ranking
The Khoury College of Computer Sciences is one of the nine colleges of Northeastern University in Boston, Massachusetts. It specializes in computer science, data science and cybersecurity. Prior to December 16, 2018, Khoury College was known as the College of Computer and Information Science.
The College offers Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Master of Science (M.S.), and doctoral degrees in computer science, as well as undergraduate and graduate degrees in interdisciplinary, computer-related fields. Some 1000 masters and 133 doctoral candidates are enrolled in the College.
Northeastern University Acceptance Rate
Northeastern University/Acceptance rate 18.1%
Northeastern admissions is very selective with an acceptance rate of 18%. Students that get into Northeastern have an average SAT score between 1390-1540 or an average ACT score of 32-35. The regular admissions application deadline for Northeastern is January 1.
is northeastern university good for computer science
In addition to a traditional computer science curriculum, Khoury College offers numerous other information science programs at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
The computer science program at Khoury College focuses on the fundamentals of computer program design, software design, computer networking, computation theory, and other technical computer-related subjects.
The CS program offers both Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Arts degrees. While both require a core curriculum of computer science, mathematics, science, and humanities coursework, the B.A. candidates are required to take more humanities coursework than B.S. candidates. The B.S. is thus the more technical of the two degrees, with the B.A. aimed at giving students a social science context with which to frame their understanding of computer science. Khoury College offers the following degrees:
- B.S. in Computer Science
- B.S. in Cybersecurity
- B.A. in Computer Science
- B.S. in Information Science
- B.S. in Data Science
Khoury College offers multiple combined major degree options within its own programs:
- B.S. in Computer Science and Information Science
- B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science
The combined B.S. and M.S. in Computer Science substitutes four master-level courses for their undergraduate equivalents. Students then have only to take four master-level electives to complete the program. This allows a student to graduate with both degrees on either a five-year track, or a six-year track with an additional co-op experience.
In addition, the College partners with other colleges at Northeastern to offer several joint degrees, such as combining Computer Science with Journalism, Game Design or Interactive Media.
Information science—the interdisciplinary study of how humans use information technology—combines a technical understanding of computer science and system design with the behavior context of the social sciences. Coursework covers the fields of information architecture, information system design and development, programming design, database design, and social informatics, among others. A two-semester senior capstone project, designed to integrate the many skill sets developed in the program, is required. Currently, only the B.S. of Information Science is offered, though it may be offered in conjunction with another degree.
Khoury College offers both Master of Science and doctoral degrees. In 2018, Khoury College’s graduate program in computer science was ranked 49th in the list of the “Best Computer Science Graduate Schools.” The publication also ranked the graduate program 12th on its list of “Best Programming Language Programs.”
Khoury College offers the following master’s degrees:
- MS in Computer Science
- Align MS in Computer Science (for people who did not study computer science as undergrads)
- MS in Cybersecurity
- MS in Data Science
- MS in Artificial Intelligence
- MS in Robotics
- MS in Health Informatics
- MS in Health Data Analytics
- MS in Game Science and Design
Candidates for the MS in Computer Science can choose from the following concentrations:
- Artificial intelligence
- Human–computer interaction
- Database management
- Information security
- Programming languages
- Software engineering
Khoury College began offering the M.S. in Information Assurance (now the MS in Cybersecurity) in 2006, for which it has gained recognition by the National Security Agency as both a National Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Education and Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance Research. Masters candidates take coursework addressing the various technical, policy, and criminal justice-related issues involved in information assurance, preparing them for careers as corporate and government information executives. Full-time candidates for the M.S. in Cybersecurity typically finish the program in two years, with 32 semester hours required to earn the degree.
The PhD program prepares students for research careers in government, industry, or academia. Candidates are required to take coursework in computer systems, principles of programming languages, advanced algorithms, and computation theory. Electives in these and other subjects are also available. Candidates are given a maximum of five years to complete this coursework and their doctoral thesis. Khoury College offers four PhD programs:
- PhD in Computer Science
- PhD in Network Science
- PhD in Information Assurance
- PhD in Personal Health Informatics
In the 2011–2012 school year, the information assurance program began offering the Ph.D in Information Assurance, designed to be an interdisciplinary program with a focus on information assurance policy and research. Candidates for this doctoral degree take a core curriculum of computer networking, network security, hardware and software security, information security risk management, and information assurance policy. Elective coursework is then taken in one of three areas of concentration (or “tracks”), namely:
- Network/Communication Security
- System Security
Candidates for the PhD in Information Assurance have a maximum of five years to complete their required coursework and doctoral thesis.
The PhD in Personal Health Informatics is an interdisciplinary Doctoral Program in Personal Health Informatics prepares researchers to design and evaluate technologies that improve health and wellness with the potential to transform healthcare. The joint degree program combines a strong curriculum in human-computer interface technology and experimental design in health sciences.