Last Updated on January 19, 2023 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
The Graduate Diploma in Chemical Engineering allows you to learn about chemical and materials engineering and their applications. The chemical industry manufactures materials such as composites that reduce the amount of fuel aircrafts consume to lightweight batteries that reduce the size of your cell phone.
Need to know more about Post Graduate Diploma in Chemical Engineering in Canada, pg diploma courses in canada for chemical engineering, is post graduate diploma accepted in Canada, is post graduate diploma equivalent to masters in Canada, is post graduate diploma equivalent to masters degree in Canada, pg diploma engineering courses in Canada & which post graduate diploma is best in canada.
is post graduate diploma accepted in canada
We need skilled engineers to continue to find novel ways in which to solve problems that have significant impacts on everyday life. Our faculty members are experts in fields ranging from energy storage to nanomaterials, and place particular emphasis on developing sustainable solutions for the energy sector. Montreal offers unique opportunities to work in the chemical and pharmaceutical industries, oil refining, and companies supplying the aerospace and transportation sector. Working professionals make up a large proportion of the student body and enrich the collective experience of our classrooms.
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in engineering or the sciences with the Concordia equivalent of a GPA of at least 2.70 on a scale of 4.30.
Proficiency in English. Applicants whose primary language is not English must demonstrate that their knowledge of English is sufficient to pursue graduate studies in their chosen field. Please refer to the English language proficiency page for further information on requirements and exemptions.
Fully-qualified candidates are required to complete a minimum of 30 credits.
Please see the Engineering Courses page for course descriptions.
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma (30 credits)
|20||credits of Core Courses• CHME 6011 Advanced Transport Phenomena (4.00)• CHME 6021 Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics (4.00)• CHME 6031 Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Engineering (4.00)• CHME 6041 Chemical Engineering Process Dynamics and Control (4.00)• ENCS 6021 Engineering Analysis (4.00)|
|10||credits (minimum) chosen from the following elective courses:Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 1|
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 2
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 3Students may take an elective course outside the elective list with permission of the Graduate Program Director.
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 1
|• CHME 6061 Advanced Biochemical Engineering (4.00)• CHME 6081 Advanced Separation Processes (4.00)• CHME 6091 Statistics for Chemical Engineering (4.00)• CHME 6101 Advanced Battery Materials and Technologies (4.00)• CHME 6111 Polymer Chemistry and Engineering (4.00)• CHME 6131 Advanced Colloid and Interface Science and Engineering (4.00)• CHME 6911 Topics in Chemical Engineering I (4.00)• ENCS 6111 Numerical Methods (4.00)• ENGR 6201 Fluid Mechanics (4.00)• MECH 6131 Conduction and Radiation Heat Transfer (4.00)• MECH 6141 Heat Exchanger Design (4.00)• MECH 7101 Convection Heat Transfer (4.00)|
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 2
|• CHME 7911 Topics in Chemical Engineering II (4.00)• ENGR 6601 Principles of Solar Engineering (4.00)• MECH 6571 Corrosion and Oxidation of Metals (4.00)|
|Any courses listed in the following Topic Areas, not included in the Core Course list of the Chemical Engineering MASc or the Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 1 .E03 – Systems and ControlE07 – Energy Conversion E37 – Environmental EngineeringE52 – Thermodynamics and Heat TransferE57 – Composite Materials|
Chemical Engineering Graduate Diploma List 3
|Any course(s) listed in the following Topic Areas:E08 – Academic Communication SkillsE09 – Professional Leadership Skills|
1. Submit your application and pay a $100 CAD application fee. A student ID number will be issued.
2. Log on to MyConcordia.ca portal to upload documents.
3. A completed file that is ready to be assessed will include:
- Application form and Fee
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Three Letters of Reference and assessment form
- Statement of purpose
- Transcripts (with mark sheets if applicable) for all post-secondary institutions attended
- Proof of Canadian citizenship (if applicable)
- Applicants whose primary language is not English, are required to submit official language test scores, unless exempted.
For initial assessment purposes, scanned and uploaded copies of documents are accepted. To finalize a file, once admitted, Concordia University will require official documents.
Courses typically offered include:
- Advanced Transport Phenomena
- Engineering Analysis
- Advanced Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
- Chemical Kinetics and Reaction Engineering
Research-active faculty members have received the highest honours from the Canada Research Chairs Program and published their results in reputed international scientific journals, including Scientific Reports, Nature Communications, ACS Nano, and the Journal of Materials Chemistry A.
Areas of faculty research expertise include:
- kinetics and catalysis
- transport phenomena
- polymer engineering and polymer reactor engineering
- nanotechnology and nanocomposites
- electrical energy storage materials
- electrochemical engineering
- microreactor engineering
The Engineering and Computer Science Graduate Association (ECSGA) represents all the graduate students in the Gina Cody School of Engineering and Computer Science at Concordia University. In addition to organizing social activities, the ECSGA also offers workshops and networking events for its members.
Our alumni can be found working in consulting, government and the chemical industry. Recent graduates have also developed highly successful careers at insurance companies and banks.
- Language Proficiency Requirements: Proof of English proficiency may be required for international applicants and for applicants whose first language is not English.
- a cumulative weighted average of at least a 65% (U of S grade system equivalent) in the last two years of study (i.e. 60 credit units)
- a four-year honours degree, or equivalent, from a recognized college or university in an academic discipline relevant to the proposed field of study
For more information on language proficiency requirements, see the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies Academic Policies for more information.
Before registering in any of the following courses, students are advised to contact the head of the department for a list and timetable of courses to be offered in the current academic year.
- GPS 960.0 Introduction to Ethics and Integrity
- GPS 961.0 Ethics and Integrity in Human Research, if research involves human subjects
- GPS 962.0 Ethics and Integrity in Animal Research, if research involves animal subjects
- a minimum of 30 credit units
is post graduate diploma equivalent to masters degree in canada
A Master’s degree and Postgraduate diploma are two of the most popular options available for students looking to further their education in Canada after their undergraduate studies. While students know this, not many have a good grasp of how they work and what differentiates them. Most of the resources online focus more on Master’s Degree and PhD, so the former seems like the only natural step after undergraduate studies.
But each student’s situation and goals call for a different approach, and a postgraduate diploma can also serve a need. It is an option for an individual who doesn’t want something time-intensive or research-focused. Those whose situation changed halfway through their Master’s Degree can find a postgraduate diploma helpful. Instead of simply dropping out altogether, they can recourse to a post-graduate diploma. The same thing applies to anyone who finds out halfway through their Master’s Degree that dissertation isn’t their thing.
What Is the Difference Between a Postgraduate and Master’s Degree?
Below are some of the differences between a Master’s Degree and a Postgraduate Diploma.
A Masters Degree is a Longer Qualification
Though a Masters Degree and a Postgraduate Diploma are on the same academic level, the former is a more extended qualification. When studying full-time, a Masters degree takes one year to complete, the modules worth 180 credits. In contrast, a postgraduate diploma takes two terms, with modules worth 120 credits. Postgraduate certificates last just one term, with modules worth 60 credits only. Each surpasses the next with modules worth 60 credits.
Postgraduate Diplomas are Vocational
Postgraduate diplomas are vocational. This means postgraduate diplomas focus on helping students acquire practical skills and specific skills in their chosen field. While a Masters degree involves completing a series of modules and writing a dissertation. You may be better off with a postgraduate diploma if you’re looking to go into journalism or law. Usually, postgraduate diplomas give you access to work programs that allow you to gain some experience while studying. But if you’re looking to become a professor or a researcher, a masters degree aligns better with your goals.
A Master’s Degree Requires an Undergraduate Degree
You can’t go for a masters degree without having an undergraduate degree or equivalent title. It’s different with a postgraduate diploma. Some programs grant admission to students without an undergraduate degree as long as they have professional experience in their chosen fields. Additionally, a masters degree can be specific to a university. But all graduate diplomas are always university-specific.
Master’s Degrees are More Expensive
Importantly, money is another significant differentiator. A masters degree is quite expensive compared to a postgraduate diploma. Many people find a postgraduate diploma more affordable. Individuals enrolled in a postgraduate diploma can easily take career breaks because of their length. If they wish, postgraduate diploma students can also combine their academic pursuit with their current job.
Overall, being research-based, a masters degree allows you to contribute knowledge to the world through your research, insights, and discoveries. In addition, you can pursue further education like a PHD with your Master’s degree. Your chances of gaining recognition and applause are high. While a postgraduate diploma enables you to acquire a qualification that can quickly enhance your career in any particular field.
which post graduate diploma is best in canada
PG Diploma in Canada is a career-oriented course that provides hands-on experience in a particular field. It is a shorter version of a postgraduate degree that is usually offered at community colleges and SPP colleges in Canada. A postgraduate diploma in Canada has become extremely popular among international students due to the low investment and shorter course duration.
A PG Diploma in the universities of Canada is a 1-2 year program offering students a choice to combine 2 one-year courses and gain specialization in the field of choice. In order to complete the PG Diploma courses in Canada, students must obtain certain set grades (vary depending on the college) and work on industry projects as a part of the study. The cost of studying PG diploma courses in Canada ranges from 7 to 15 lakh INR.
A PG Diploma courses in Canada can be undertaken after completion of undergraduate courses and can help in enhancing your chances of finding high-paying jobs in Canada. Depending on the industry/sector of choice you can make around 30,000 to 60,00 CAD a year after completion of your PG Diploma from Canadian Colleges.
If the PG diploma course is full-time, students will also be eligible for a post-study work visa for one year’s stay back. Another opportunity that opens its door for international applicants pursuing two-year PG diploma courses is immigrating to Canada. Attaining a PR for Canada after completing your 2-year PG diploma and getting placed can earn your extra CRS points.
Best Colleges in Canada for PG Diploma
A number of private and independent colleges in Canada offer PG Diploma courses. Some of the popular PG Diploma colleges in Canada among international students are:
One or Two-year PG Diploma in Canada?
One-year PG Diploma course in Canada: One-year graduate diplomas including 2-3 semesters that cost around 6.18-9.28 lakhs. One-year PG Diploma courses in Canada provide you with essential skills to enhance your employability chances in the chosen field.
Two-Year PG Diploma in Canada: Comprising 4-6 semesters, a two-year PG Diploma program in Canada can cost around 7-11 lakhs INR. You can also combine two one-year PGDMs and make your own two-year PG Diploma program. The major advantage of opting for a 2-year PG Diploma course in Canada is that two-year study courses provide you with a three-year work stay-back option.
Best Universities for PG Diploma in Canada
|S. No.||Universities||Fees (INR)|
|1||University of Winnipeg||10.1 Lakhs/Yr|
|2||Thompson Rivers University||4.2 – 14.2 Lakhs/Yr|
|3||Royal Roads University||10.7 Lakhs/Yr|
|4||Carleton University||10.4 – 14.4 Lakhs/Yr|
|5||Concordia University||18.2 – 21.8 Lakhs/Yr|
|6||McMaster University||9.3 – 9.7 Lakhs/Yr|
|7||Simon Fraser University||1.1 Lakhs/Yr (Per Term)|
Best PG Diploma Courses in Canada
Some of the most popular PG Diploma courses in Canada among the international student population are:
- Operation management: Available as a one-year course costing around 10 lakhs or more. The program concentrates on techno-managerial requirements of the manufacturing and services sector.
- Business analytics: The interdisciplinary program focuses on technology and business. This costs around 8 lakhs or more. This is a lot lesser than the cost of pursuing masters in business analytics in Canada.
- Supply chain management: Understanding the flow of production can be learned through PG Diploma in SCM. The program costs around 9 lakhs.
- Finance: Diploma in finance covers the fundamentals of business and financial planning. The program costs around 13 lakhs.
- Project management: There is a wide range of project management courses in Canada. PG Diploma in project management from Canada costs around 10 lakhs.
- Global business management: Costing around 9 lakhs, global/international business management courses in some of the Canadian colleges are exclusively available only for international students.
- Marketing: PG diploma in marketing focuses on market research skills and offers opportunities to work in the corporate world. The program costs around 9 lakhs.
- Human Resource Management: Unlike MBA in Canada (HR specialization), PG Diploma in HRM trains you to handle resources and develop a symbiotic work environment.
- Accounting: PG Diploma in Accounting costs around 10 lakhs and the eligibility requirements are less stringent than MAcc in Canada
Top Colleges for Popular PG Diploma Courses in Canada
|Program||Popular College||Fees (INR)|
|PG Diploma in Finance||Lambton College||15.63 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Marketing||Centennial College||10 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Human Resources||Seneca College||9.65 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Business Analytics||Seneca College||9.38 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in International Business Management||Algonquin College||10.32 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Supply Chain Management||Humber College||10.85 lakhs|
|Pg Diploma in Accounting||Douglas College||11.85 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Project Management||Douglas College||11.85 lakhs|
|PG Diploma in Data Science||University of Calgary||37.89 lakhs|
Value of PG Diploma in Canada
Short courses in Canada, like PG Diplomas, certificates, etc allow students to experience industry exposure while studying. Some of the major reasons to consider pursuing PG Diploma program from Canada are:
- PG Diplomas are more job-oriented programs and focus on helping students with the attainment of skills required within the industry and businesses.
- PG Diploma courses in Canada allow you to intern while studying and you can avail of subsequent job offers.
- PG Diploma colleges in Canada are much cheaper than in universities. Affordable education abroad is one of the biggest advantages of PG Diploma courses.
- PGDM Programs focus on more career-oriented education than research-based.
Studying in Canada also ensures that the students are exposed to high-quality educational amenities in a multicultural, welcoming, and diverse environment. Canada is a land of immigrants, your chances of staying back and getting a PR in Canada are the highest when compared with other popular study destinations.
Admission to PG Diploma in Canada
You should start preparing your applications to get into PG diploma colleges in Canada by the month of January end. The 2022 application deadlines to get into some of these top colleges in Canada are tabulated below:
|Algonquin College||Fall- Oct 1 to Feb 1|
(upcoming session Winter 2022- Jan 10)
|Centennial College||Offers are sent out in Feb, Applicants are suggested to apply early|
|Durham College||Fall: Feb 1|
Winter: Oct 1
|Lambton College||Feb 1|
|Humber College||Feb 1|
|Douglas College||Fall: May 31|
Winter: Sep 30
|Fanshawe College||Mid Oct- Feb 1|
Eligibility for PG Diploma in Canada
Getting admissions to a PG Diploma course in Canada does not require international students to fulfill complex requirements. Unlike masters in Canada, you can apply for a diploma course even after a three-year bachelor’s degree. Some of the important eligibility requirements for pursuing PG Diploma course in Canada are:
- An undergraduate degree in a relevant subject with at least 65% or more aggregate marks.
- Some courses in business administration, management, marketing, etc may require you to have work experience of 2 years.
- English Language Proficiency: International applicants must have IELTS/TOEFL.
The admission process for diploma programs in Canada is highly flexible. The documents required for getting into P Diploma programs are:
- Transcripts of previous education
- Study permit
- SOP for PG diploma courses Canada
- Proof of finances
Student Visa for Canada
To get a study permit for Canada, you must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be enrolled at a designated learning institute (DLI).
- Applicants must have proof of sufficient funds to finance the Tuition fees, Living expenses for themselves, and Return transportation expenses.
- An eligible applicant must be a law-abiding citizen with no criminal history and must not be a threat to the security of Canada. Students might also have to provide a police certificate.
- It is important for applicants to be in good health and may require to submit a valid medical certificate if required.
- Applicants must prove to an immigration officer that he/she will leave Canada at the end of their authorized duration of stay.
- Documents Required: Proof of acceptance, proof of identity, proof of financial support, letter of explanation, SOP for the student visa.
PG Diploma in Canada Costs
When planning to study abroad, international students spend a humongous sum of money. Planning ahead of these expenses allows students to remain within the budget and understand the sum required. Let us dive into the detailed bifurcation of the cost involved in for studying a PG Diploma course in Canada.
The amount of money spent on application fees, visa fees, fees for English language tests required, and other such expenses that you will make before leaving the home country. The details of the same are:
|Type of Expense||Cost (INR)|
|Program Application Fees||4,600-6,200|
|Study Permit Application Fees||14,545**|
|Health Insurance||8.04 lakhs|
*Depends on the university
**150 CAD for a study permit and 85 CAD is biometric fees.
Tuition Fees for PG Diploma in Canada
The tuition fees for PG Diploma courses in Canada for Indian students is as follows:
|College||Avg. Fees (INR)|
|Algonquin College||8.8 lakhs|
|Centennial College||8.0 lakhs|
|Durham College||7.4 lakhs|
|Fanshawe College||4.18 lakhs|
|Fleming College||10 lakhs|
|George Brown College||2.73 lakhs|
|Humber College||9.48 lakhs|
|The Sheridan College||10.5 lakhs|
|Sault College||8.86 lakhs|
|Mohawk College||9.83 lakhs|
|St. Stephens College||5.57 lakhs|
|North Island College||8.92 lakhs|
|Luther College||11.60 lakhs|
|St. Lawrence College||4.76 lakhs|
|Niagara College||8.22 lakhs|
Cost of Living in Canada
The cost of living in Canada depends on various factors. Some of the decisive factors include the province of study, accommodation type, lifestyle, etc. Given below is a table detailing the expense of living in Canada:
|Type of Expense (Monthly CAD)|
The above-mentioned expenses are monthly costs in Canadian Dollars. The cost may vary depending upon your choice of accommodation and lifestyle. An additional 10,000 CAD (annually) must be available with an international student living outside the province of Quebec.
PG Diploma in Canada with Scholarships
Some of the colleges offering PG Diploma courses in Canada also offer scholarships to international students. Listed below are popular scholarships to study in Canada while pursuing PG Diploma courses:
- International in Canada Scholarship offered by Niagara College to international students holding a study permit admitting with one of their courses. It awards 2000 CAD to the students.
- Paul Foundation Scholarships: Paul Foundation scholarships are available to all Indian students planning to study abroad. The recipients are offered financial assistance of around 26,900 CAD.
- Forktip Women Innovation Scholarships: Offered to women who wish to study abroad. The grant offers 2000 CAD.
- Brokerfish International Student Scholarships: These are awarded to help students cover their health insurance expenses. The award amount is 1300 CAD.
Jobs after PG Diploma in Canada
As PG Diploma courses in Canada are highly career-oriented, it can be assured that finding a job after PG Diploma courses in Canada is not difficult. PG Diplomas in Canada not only prepare you for the jobs within the country but also ensure that you are ready to work with the global marketplace.
Depending on the course you opt for you can get into the relative fields and earn handsome salaries. Based on the sector and job role acquired by a student, the salaries for a fresher after PG Diploma can range from 35,000 CAD to 50,000 CAD.
Salary after PG Diploma in Canada
Here are some of the popular job roles acquired by students after completing their PG Diploma course in Canada along with the salaries offered to them:
|Job Role||Avg. Salaries (CAD/year)|
|Project Manager (IT)||94,000|
Once you gain experience of 2-3 years, you can also apply for PR and settle within the country. If you wish to move back to your home country, the job opportunities for a foreign graduate with some experience are humongous in the Indian market.
ROI of PG Diploma Colleges in Canada
The basic salaries offered to graduates of some of the top college offering PG Diploma courses in Canada are tabulated below:
|George Brown College||57,000|
Aspirants for PG Diploma in Canada must note that these salaries can vary depending on the course they opt for.
How is PG Diploma in Canada different from MS in Canada?
One of the major questions that arise among students who wish to pursue PG Diploma courses in Canada is how is the course different from a master’s degree and how helpful is it when compared to a degree program. Let us find out:
PG Diploma vs Masters in Canada
|Duration||1 to 2 years||1 to 2 years|
Mostly 1.5 to 2 years
|Fees||8,000 to 20,000 CAD||15,000-60,000 CAD|
|Post-Study Work Visa||On 1 years of study 1 years of work visa||On 2 years of study, 3 years of work visa|
|UG degree Requirements||3 or 4 years UG degree||4 years UG degree|
|IELTS Requirements||6.0 to 6.5||6.5 to 7.5|
|Other tests required||None||GRE/GMAT|
(depending on course/institute)
|Fresher Salaries||35,000 to 90,000 CAD||50,000 to 130,000 CAD|
PGDM vs MBA in Canada
|Duration||1 to 2 years||1.5 to 2 years|
|Fees||8,000 to 20,000 CAD||16,000-80,000 CAD|
|Post-Study Work Visa||On 1 years of study 1 years of work visa||On 2 years of study, 3 years of work visa|
|UG degree Requirements||3 or 4 years UG degree||4 years UG degree|
|IELTS Requirements||6.0||7.0 or more|
|Other tests required||None||GMAT|
|Fresher Salaries||50,000 to 90,000 CAD||80,000 to 200,000 CAD|
A PG Diploma from Canada prepares you for the job-oriented cutthroat marketplace by offering you an opportunity to understand the industry while studying. Hence, it is one of the most popular short-term courses in Canada pursued by international students.