Last Updated on January 15, 2023 by Team College Learners
Athabasca University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104. You can rest assured that your AU experience represents a rigorous, high quality university education. University of Athabasca is a respected and recognized university with a proven track record.
You may find it hard to access the right information on the internet, so we are here to help you in the following article, providing the best and updated information on architecture masters and masters in architecture. Read on to learn more.
I would recommend you save time and effort by visiting our catalog right here on Collegelearners as soon as possible for the answer to masters of health studies Athabasca, master of nursing, and so much more.
Located in Canada, Athabasca University is an open university founded in 1970 with the motive to remove barriers on access to education for adult learners around the world. It provides high-quality post-secondary education to over 40,000 students through more than 850 courses with 55 undergraduate and graduate programs. It is also one of the 4 public comprehensive universities in Alberta and is one of the reputedly ranked higher education institutes of Canada.
Over the years, the institute has entered more than 350 agreements to collaborate with other Canadian and international post-secondary institutions and employers. With a total student enrollment of over 40,000 that includes international candidates from over 87 countries around the world, the institute is undoubtedly a site of diversity and inclusion in the country.
Admission at Athabasca University is available in multiple intakes round the year and requires a nonrefundable application fee of 118 CAD. The institute observes a moderate acceptance rate and a high rate of employment which is nearly 93%. This ensures that the university not only guarantees quality education for all but also can help its candidates land some of the high-paying jobs in Canada.
Master of Health Administration
Welcome to the Master of Health Studies program, a 33-credit degree that is open to all health professionals with an undergraduate degree in a health field. This program will provide you with competencies to discern emerging trends and to anticipate future directions in health care; to provide leadership in health service planning implementation and evaluation; to manage change; to critique and develop health and social policy; and to develop successful research and project proposals.
MHS programs are a great option if you’re interested a career in public health and you want to focus on a specific area, especially one that emphasizes science. These programs can be research-oriented or designed for active professionals who want to move up to mid or advanced-level positions.
An MHS can open up career opportunities for working professionals who already have a bachelor’s degree, and improve the prospects for mid-level entry into the professional workforce for those going directly from the undergraduate to graduate level.
Masters of Public Health
By the application deadline, applicants for admission to the MHS program must possess a four-year health-related Canadian (or equivalent) baccalaureate degree program from an accredited/recognized university, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 (B) in the final 30 credits of graduate or undergraduate study. Admission will be considered for applicants who possess a four-year (or equivalent) non health-related credential, but have relevant work experience in the health care field.
Non-Program Admission Requirements
To be successful in graduate courses, non-program learners should have attained a minimum GPA of 3.0 undergraduate or graduate course work.
Non-program students must meet the following application requirements:
- A four-year health-related baccalaureate degree from an accredited university.
- Learners seeking to refresh their practice as a Nurse Practitioner must hold a Master of Nursing and have graduated from a recognized Nurse Practitioner Education program.
- Learners seeking to add a Family All Ages designation to their Nurse Practitioner license must hold a Master of Nursing and an active Nurse Practitioner license.
Faculty of Health Disciplines
Graduate programs include:
- Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- Master of Counselling
- Master of Health Studies
- Master of Nursing: Generalist
- Master of Nursing: Nurse Practitioner
- Post-Masters Certificate in Counselling
- Post-Masters Diploma: Nurse Practitioner
Athabasca University Campus and Accommodation
- Athabasca University laid its foundation in 1970. Initially, AU’s main campus was located in Edmonton which was later moved to Athabasca in 1984.
- The campus is majorly online and has both rural and urban set up on campus.
- AU’s Athabasca University is the main campus operating along with others in Edmonton, Calgary, and Center for Innovative Management and AU Learning Link.
- Being an online university, the campus for distance learners is wherever they are learning from around the world.
- The institute is a non-residential campus which means there is no on-campus housing opportunity for students.
Athabasca University Courses
- There are limited classroom programs for international students at AU.
- AU is an online university offering a plethora of courses for international students including undergraduate courses and short-term visa graduate courses related to arts, science and professional studies.
- Some of the undergraduate programs offered include Bachelor of Arts, Commerce, General Studies, Health Administration, Professional Arts, Management, Science, etc.
- Some of the graduate programs offered include courses in fields like Arts, Business Administration, Education, Health Studies, Nursing, Information Systems, etc.
- They also have more than 850 courses available that can work as a pathway to a bachelor’s or master’s degree. These include Accounting, Finance, Nursing, Science, Business, etc.
- Graduate programs such as Master of Counseling and Master of Nursing are offered with study permits issued only for the duration the student is required to be in Canada.
- International students have the opportunity to study at other institutions in Canada while taking online courses from AU and transfer the credits.
Athabasca University Application Process
How to Apply?
- Online application portal – ApplyAlberta
- UG applicants: Undergraduate General Application
- PG applicants: Graduate Application Form
Application Fee: 89 USD (118 CAD)
The institute provides various awards and scholarships in Canada for international students. Candidates willing to avail financial aid must firstly apply for student financial assistance following which they must submit the course registration plan. The institute offers 55 scholarships to its students based on the level of study, residency, and various other factors.
The following table gives details of various scholarships, eligibility criteria and the amount awarded to international students:
|Scholarship Name||Eligibility Criteria||Amount Awarded|
|Athabasca University Institutional Leadership Scholarship||Enrolled in undergraduate or graduate program at AU; Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher||1000 USD|
|AU Academic Leadership Scholarship||Enrolled to an undergraduate degree program at AU; Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher||1500 USD|
|AU PLAR Scholarship||Enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at AU; Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher; S|
submit an essay within 1000 words explaining the role of PLAR in their success and future goals.
|Dominique Abrioux Graduate Scholarship||Enrolled to master’s degree program at AU; Completed at least 12 credits since July 1 of the previous year;|
Minimum GPA of 3.6 or higher; Not be enrolled for a doctoral program
|AU Graduate Student Scholarship||Enrolled to a graduate program at AU; Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.60 or higher.||1500 USD|
|Walker Family – Master of Counseling Scholarship||Enrolled as a full-time AU Master of Counseling student; Must be in the third year of the program;|
Minimum GPA of 3.8 or higher must be achieved in the program; Must be in a practicum placement.
Master of Health Studies Jobs
1. Health Informatics Specialist – 62,600 USD/year
Employers: food and drug administration clinics, clinical biostatistics organisations, local governments, and other public health organisations.
As a health informatics specialist or biostatistician, you will analyse various types of healthcare data and apply statistical principles to public health and medical research. You will deal with clinical trials, genome projects and identify population health trends. The work of a biostatistician may also include experimental treatments for diseases or finding connections between lifestyles and public health issues.
Main duties of a health informatics specialist:
- Develop efficient statistical protocols
- Analyze and monitor databases and data analysis software
- Use statistics, mathematics and Computer Science skills for collecting data reports
2. Healthcare Administrator – 65,500 USD/year
Employers: hospitals, clinics, healthcare facilities, wellness centres.
A healthcare administrator oversees all the activities required to run a healthcare institution. Your focus will be to organise your staff, delegate tasks, and make sure the institution has all the necessary resources and inventory.. As a healthcare administrator you will:
- Coordinate and manage health services provided to clients, health programs, staff and budgets
- Keep contact with various organizations such as health equipment suppliers
- Get involved in public healthcare policies, improving or solving certain issues of the healthcare system
3. Epidemiologist – 62,900 USD/year
Employers: health institutes, local and national public health departments, private companies (pharmaceutical companies).
Epidemiologists evaluate and monitor the spread of diseases, work to understand their causes and develop solutions and possible treatments. An epidemiologist’s work is similar to the one of a scientist and combines knowledge from Biology, Statistics and Maths by also taking into consideration various socio-economic factors. Some of your responsibilities will be:
- Train and educate policymakers about diseases and infections
- Monitor epidemics and provide extensive reports with all the data you collect
- Evaluate local and government health agencies
4. Public Health Project Manager – 75,400 USD/year
Employers: NGOs, social work associations, government agencies, research institutions.
The main goal of public health managers is developing and overseeing the implementation of public health projects that improve the wellbeing of communities. Some of the main challenges are managing budgets, overcoming unexpected difficulties, and achieving the initial objectives of the project without major delays.
The main responsibilities of a public health project manager include:
- Manage staff members and assign tasks
- Evaluate how projects progress and find ways to improve the overall efficiency
- Offer periodic updates to staff, document project activities and write reports
5. Health and Safety Engineer – 76,000 USD/year
Employers: government, construction companies, technology companies.
Health and safety engineers design machinery, equipment and various systems which improve human health or prevent diseases. The main duties of a health engineer are to make sure various products (equipment and machines used in factories, buildings, etc.) are safe to use; they identify potential hazards, evaluate health and safety regulations and programmes, and also investigate accidents.
Common tasks of health and safety engineers are:
- Check plans for new machinery and equipment to make sure they meet safety requirements
- Identify potential hazards in facilities, machinery, and safety equipment
- Install safety devices on machinery
- Verify employee safety programmes and suggest improvements
6. Public Health Educator – 45,800 USD/year
Employers: government agencies, public and private organisations, NGOs
Public health educators inform people about health and safety concerns and teach them how to take care of themselves and the people around them. For example, a typical lecture or presentation might focus on HIV/AIDS. Public health educators offer all the information necessary, share flyers and brochures and encourage people to be proactive and go for regular health check-ups.
Here are other common responsibilities for a public health educator:
- Develop lectures and workshop that are flexible and can be adapted to different communities
- Create informational materials and share them during the presentations/meetings
- Answer questions coming from the public and offer them relevant suggestions
7. Healthcare Consultant – 76,900 USD/year
Employers: usually large private healthcare organisations
Healthcare consultants evaluate the activities and management of a healthcare facility to identify major problems and ways to solve them and improve efficiency. You will compare different options, write reports, and participate in meetings with your clients, where you will propose the best solutions.
Other typical tasks for healthcare consultants are:
- Creating manuals and other informational documents that help staff members improve individual and overall efficiency
- Designing, evaluating, and suggesting ways to implement healthcare procedures and technologies