Last Updated on January 18, 2023 by Team College Learners
- The exam for PhD English Literature consists of syllabus of English only except for GATE. GATE consists of questions from the science section.
- Important areas of study are – romantic period, Victorian period, Modern period, Contemporary period, Modern British Literature, Indian writing in English, History of Indian language and all those topics that you have studied during graduation and post graduation.
- Divide the syllabus into your strong and weak areas.
- Prepare flowcharts, use different color pens to memorize stuff.
- Practice previous year question papers and revise.
PhD or Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature is a doctorate level course spread over a span of minimum 3 years and maximum 5 years. This course is ideal for students who are interested in studying literature written in English language.
The course includes studying literature from different time periods, exploring the language, its history and a scope to add something of your own to the language.
- Full-Form: Doctor of Philosophy in English Literature
- Duration: 2 to 5 years
- Eligibility: Post Graduation in English or in any other related field.
- Admission Process: Entrance based and personal interview
- Entrance exams: UGC NET, JNUEE, GATE, etc.
- Top Colleges: Andhra University, Loyola College, Chennai, IIT Kanpur, English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad, etc.
- Average course fees: INR 30,000 to INR 1.3 Lakh per year
- Distance education: Available
- Distance education fees: INR 10,000 to 1 Lakh
- Job Options: English Professor, English Teacher, Editor, Journalist, Critic Writer, Technical Writer, Public Relation Officer, Translator
- Average Salary Package: INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs
- Top Recruiting Areas: Power plants, manufacturing areas, chemical plants, steel plants, educational institutes.
- Top Recruiting Companies: Media Houses, Education Institutions, Publishing Houses, Translation Houses, etc.
The candidates who have completed their master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% of marks are eligible to apply for this course.
Admission to PhD English Literature programme is generally entrance based followed by personal interview. However, some colleges may accept admission on merit basis also.
The average fee charged by colleges or universities for this course varies from INR 30,000 to 1.3 Lakhs. The fee is subject to vary as per the type of the institution.
The average starting salary that a PhD English Literature degree holder can earn ranges between INR 4.5 to 6 Lakhs. The salary offered is directly proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary increases with an increase in the experience in the field.
PhD English Literature professionals find jobs as a English Professor, English Teacher, Editor, Journalist, Critic Writer, Technical Writer, Public Relation Officer, Translator, etc. Some top recruiting areas for such professionals are Media Houses, Education Institutions, Publishing Houses, Translation Houses, etc.PhD English Literature Admission Process
PhD English Literature Admission Process
The admission to PhD in English Literature course is generally on the basis of entrance test which is followed by a personal interview round conducted at the university or the college. However, some colleges or universities may offer admission on a merit basis.
Some colleges also ask for M.Phil as a requirement for PhD admissions. In such cases, selected candidates will be required to appear for only a personal interview round.
ALERT: As of now, most of the admission process including the entrance exams has been postponed due to the ongoing pandemic.
The DUET Exam conducted by Delhi university has been postponed for the time being. New dates regarding the same will be notified on the official website.
Merit Based admission process
- Candidates need to apply at the official website of the college/university they want to take admission in.
- They need to fill the application form and submit the required documents.
- After successful registration, colleges release their merit list of selected candidates.
- In case of some colleges or universities, selected candidates may be required to go through a personal interview round.
- Selection in this case is done on the basis of performance in the personal interview round.
Entrance Based admission process
- It is advisable for candidates to visit the official website of the college or university they want to apply in to check whether they meet the eligibility criteria and what entrance test is required for admission.
- Then, candidates must register themselves for the entrance test on the official website of the conducting body.
- Those candidates who clear the cut off of entrance examination are then called for a personal interview round.
- Final selection is made on the basis of performance in the Personal Interview round.
Candidates who wish to apply for a PhD English Literature programme must meet the eligibility criteria mentioned below. The general eligibility criteria is:
- Candidates must have completed their Master’s degree in English language with minimum 55% marks from a recognised University.
- There may be a relaxation of 5% marks for reserved category students.
- Candidates need to have valid marks in the entrance examination as required by the college or university.
- In some colleges, M.Phil is a prerequisite for PhD English Literature admission. In Such cases, selected candidates will be required to appear only for a personal interview round.
- The eligibility criteria may vary from college to college.
PhD English Literature Entrance Exams
The widely accepted entrance exam for PhD English Literature admissions is the UGC NET exam. However, some universities or colleges may conduct their own entrance examinations for PHD admissions at their own level.
- UGC NET: National Eligibility Test (NET) is conducted by University Grants Commission of India (UGC). There are two sections in this examination consisting of 50 and 100 multiple choice questions respectively. The total duration of the exam is 180 minutes. It is conducted twice a year, once in June and once in December.
- GATE: GATE examination is jointly conducted by IISC and 7 IITs. A valid score in GATE is considered as a basis by IITs for PHD Admissions. It is a 180 minute examination that consists of MCQs and NAT.
- JNUEE: It is a national level entrance examination conducted by NTA for M.Phil/ PhD admissions.
- DUET: It is conducted by NTA for admission in PHD courses in Delhi University. It is a 2 hour examination.