Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
University of Waikato (est.1964) is a public institute holding three crown accreditation- ACU, AACSB and EQUIS. It has over 12,000 students, with international students from over 70 countries pursuing higher education in New Zealand. University of Waikato’s 12 subject areas are ranked in the top 250 by QS World Rankings 2021. Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Faculty of Science and Engineering, and Waikato Pathways College are the schools of the university offering over 120 academic courses.
Applications through online mode or via agent are taken into consideration till October and November of Trimester C. An overall average of 80% in Senior School Certificate is essential for students from India. Valid student visa, proof of enough finances, and test score to study in New Zealand are examined by the admissions committee. The course fee of the university ranges from 20,692 NZD – 37,985 NZD. The university holds an average record of offering over 2000 industry placements and internships each year to its students. Jacinda Ardern (PM of New Zealand), Mark Wilson (Entrepreneur), Wayne Smith (Former Rugby Player) are some of the notable alumni of University of Waikato.
University of Waikato Rankings
In view of the quality of education and research inputs, rankings of University of Waikato by various world-renowned ranking agencies for 2021 are listed below:
- Ranked =373 in QS Global World Rankings 2022
- Ranked 151-200 for Communication and Media Studies by QS World University 2022
- Ranked 251-300 for Accounting and Finance by QS World University 2022
- Ranked at =375 out of the world’s best 1,000 universities by QS World Rankings 2021.
- Ranked among 501-600th by World University Rankings 2021
- Ranked among 101-200th overall by THE Impact Rankings 2021, and within the top 100 institutions in:
- Reduced Inequalities, rank: =57
- Decent Work and Economic Growth, rank: =62
|No. of Campuses
|Telephone: +64 7 838 4610
|Test score accepted
|SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS
|Mode of Program
University of Waikato Programs
University of Waikato offers undergraduate degrees, postgraduate diplomas, masters and higher degrees. The University of Waikato College also provides academic and English language route courses for overseas students who, following completion, can advance to degree-level study. The degrees offered are highly flexible in nature and allow the students to design their programs as per their interest and career objective.
The programs are offered through 9 faculties of Arts and Social Sciences, Computing and Mathematics. Health, Education, Law, Idegenious Studies, Science, Engineering and Management.
Top Courses at University of Waikato
|Master of Engineering [M.Eng] Mechanical Engineering
|Master Human Resource Management
|Master of Science [M.Sc] Information Technology
|Bachelor of Engineering [B.Eng] Software Engineering
|Bachelor of Science [B.Sc] Biochemistry
|Doctor of Philosophy [Ph.D] Engineering
University of Waikato Campus
University of Waikato has a total of three campuses in New Zealand located at different locations, namely Hamilton campus, Tauranga campus and Zhejiang University City College (ZUCC). All three campuses have the required facilities that the students need during the course of their study and stay in the campus.
- Hamilton campus This campus offers a range of cafes, on-campus accommodation and innovative learning facilities.
- Tauranga campus. Tauranga campus in the heart of the CBD, combines a relaxed lifestyle and world-class university study.
- Zhejiang University City College (ZUCC). This campus of University of Waikato helps to gain a qualification while studying in China.
University of Waikato Accommodations
The university provides on campus accommodation options to the students looking for residential options in New Zealand. The cost of each accommodation varies as per the type of hall students prefer to choose. Below are the details of the types of residential halls in the campus.
- Hamilton Accommodation. It comprises three halls of residence, apartments, cottages, studios and units including Bryant Hall, College Hall, Student Village, Silverdale Road Apartments, Orchard Park, and Bleakley Place Units.
- Tauranga Accommodation. Students have the option of staying in Durham Mews, university affiliated accommodation.
- Summer Accommodation. Three different summer residences are available for students.
- Homestay. Homestay allows students to stay with a New Zealand family. The family can help a student learn about local culture and life and provide support and necessary guidance to study in New Zealand. The student will get a room, bed, desk/table, and a place to store belongings. Three meals will also be available seven days a week.
University of Waikato Admission Process
Admission at University of Waikato takes place three times a year. Students from India seeking to apply need to have a good academic record. Applications are open till October and November for UG and PG, respectively. Below are details of the admission process and the major requirements by the university from enrolling students.
Application Portal: International students can apply via an agent or through direct application.
General Requirements: Original academic transcripts/mark sheets, official program completion certificate/Degree/Diploma, IELTS scores.
|Semester start date
Additional requirements: Passport issued by official authorities, Birth certificate, valid student Visa to study in New Zealand, signed a confidential statement of finances.
Given below are the requirements for Indian students seeking admission at University of Waikato:
- The students should achieve an overall average of 75% in the Indian School Certificate (ISC) OR
- the All-India Senior School Certificate (AISSC), with a minimum of 70% in English OR
- An overall average of 80% in Senior School Certificate awarded from one of the following three Indian State Board year 12 qualifications: (i) Tamil Nadu Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), (ii) Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Higher (Secondary) School Certificate
University of Waikato English Proficiency Test Requirements
It is imperative for international students to submit English Language Test scores if their native language is not English and prove their proficiency in the language. The test accepted by the university are:
|English Language Test
|6.0 overall (no band less than 5.5)
|6.5 overall (no band less than 6.0)
|80 with a score of 21 in writing
|90 with a score of 21 in writing
University of Waikato Cost of Attendance
The international students need to get prepared beforehand, the expenses to be incurred while studying and staying in New Zealand. You can get an idea of the cost of living in New Zealand through the below table:
The tuition fee varies depending on the subject a student is looking to apply for. Below are the top courses of the university and their annual fees:
|Tuition Fee (NZD)
|BA in Economics
|BA in Screen and Media Studies
|Bachelor of Digital Business
|Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
|Master of Arts (Chinese)
|Master of Cyber Security (MCS)
|Master of Engineering (MEng)
|Master of Laws (LLM)
University of Waikato Financial Aid
University of Waikato offers scholarships and bursaries to international students looking for financial aid. Though some scholarships need an application while others can be applied automatically. Some Below are the details of few scholarships in New Zealand offered to international students:
- University of Waikato International Excellence – NZ School Leavers Scholarship: NZD 10,000
Deadline: At any time of the year.
Criteria: For international students completing Year 13 at a NZ high school in 2021 and intending to enrol full time in an undergraduate degree in Trimester A 2022. Applicants must achieve at least NCEA Level 2 with Merit (or equivalent).
- University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship: NZD 10,000
Deadline: August 31, 2021
Criteria: For talented international students from selected countries who demonstrate excellent academic achievement. Applicants must be intending to enrol for the first time in either an undergraduate or postgraduate (not doctoral) degree.
|Master of Applied Finance International Bursary
|Master of Applied Finance course
|Tauranga Campus International Bursary
|First-time students at the Tauranga campus
|The High Achievement Bursary for International Students
|Full-time undergraduate students with a B+ grade average
|Te Kura Huanui International High Achiever Progression Bursary
|Full-time UG student who has done a course before in the last 12 months
|The New Zealand NCUK University of Waikato Bursary
|Students who have done a year of study in NZ
|The International Bursary for Vietnamese Students
|For full-time UG and PG students
University of Waikato Alumni
University of Waikato Alumni Association is a great opportunity for all the students to meet, socialise and interact with the graduates who belong to different parts of the world. All the graduates from the University of Waikato are considered as members of the Alumni & Friends community and can enjoy these advantages:
- Alumni & Friends E-Newsletters
- Careers and employment advice
- Access to library services
- Alumni Representatives around the world
- Invitations to alumni events in your region
- World-class postgraduate study
Some of the notable alumni produced by the University of Waikato are:
- Wayne Smith, rugby player;
- Dr Andrew Smith, CEO of Prolife Foods
- Vittoria Shortt, CEO of ASB Bank.
University of Waikato Placements
University of Waikato degrees include opportunities for work placements or projects with businesses and community organisations. It works as a valuable experience that leads to jobs after graduation in New Zealand. There is many support by the university in the team of career counselling and advice which makes the student industry ready professionally.
- Career Development Services at University of Waikato provide free advice and support to current students and recent graduates to look and apply for work in New Zealand. It helps with career planning, writing job applications and interview preparation.
- CDS also helps in developing connections with employers through career fairs, employer campus visits and promotion of graduate opportunities.
- MyCareer is an online system at University of Wakato which helps students to analyse their career development.
- University of Waikato offers over 2000 industry placements and internships for students enrolling in an undergraduate or postgraduate program.
University of Waikato delives excellent education and research opportunities, along with smaller class sizes, affordable accommodation facilities, a wide range of student clubs and services. It offers a broad range of subjects which are ranked highly in the 2021 QS World University Subject Rankings. It also provides hundreds of scholarships for its international students each year to help them fund study-related expenses.