Last Updated on January 24, 2023 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
Get more information regarding University Of Westminster Ranking Qs, westminster university uk ranking, university of westminster location, university of Westminster fees, university of Westminster courses, university of westminster campus & university of westminster acceptance rate.
University Of Westminster QS Ranking 2021
University of Westminster is ranked 651 in QS World University Rankings by TopUniversities and has an overall score of 4.2 stars, according to student reviews on Studyportals, the best place to find out how students rate their study and living experience at universities from all over the world.
On this page you can see how the university is ranked on international rankings and find out what students are saying about their study experience.
The University of Westminster is a London-based public institution that counts fashion designer Vivienne Westwood, Burberry’s chief executive officer Christopher Bailey, and Pink Floyd co-founder Roger Waters, among its former students.
The university dates back to 1838, when the English engineer and aeronautics expert Sir George Cayley, founded the Polytechnic Institution at Regent Street. It was the first polytechnic in the UK and became the University of Westminster in 1992.
The university prides itself on its pioneering ethos and has been home to a number of notable moments in history. For example, in 1841 it opened the first public photographic portrait studio in Europe and hosted the first UK public moving picture display, organised by the Lumiere brothers, in 1896. More recently, it became the first UK partner university for UN Habitat, the agency dealing with human settlement and development.
With a strong emphasis on internationalisation, the university today opens its doors to over 22,000 students, hailing from every continent.
It is arranged across four campuses, three in central London (Cavendish, Marylebone and Regent Street) and one (Harrow) in north-west London, and comprises five faculties: the Faculty of Architecture and the Built Environment, the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities, Westminster Business School, Westminster Law School, and Westminster School of Media, Arts and Design.
The university’s central London location benefits from nearby access to the city’s many cultural attractions, while a recent £20m investment in its facilities has resulted in Westminster being able to offer fully-equipped sports facilities to students, as well as specialist resources, such as the purpose-built Financial Markets Suite.
It also has its own gallery spaces for the display of contemporary art and architecture, where exhibitions, events and public talks regularly take place.
Top Reasons to Study in the University of Westminster
The University Of Westminster is a member of associations like the Association of Commonwealth Universities, Association of MBAs, EQUIS, Universities UK, and European University Association. Based in the heart of London and home to global opportunities, the University of Westminster is where the students can feel safe to explore and be themselves. The practical and professional courses delivered by educators will give the students the technical and transferable skills that the students need to progress and succeed.
- Studying at the University will be a life-changing experience, personally and professionally. The students can enhance their academic development, make friends with students and have the chance to enjoy a new range of social, sporting, and cultural activities. The students can feel at home wherever they students come. The University has an experienced international student support team, an international student welcome program, and various activities to help students develop during their studies.
- London is where things happen first, from business and finance to fashion, art, cinema, and sport. Studying at the University means that the classroom goes beyond the walls of the University and everything that London offers is on the doorstep. London is also ideal for students to explore the rest of the UK and Europe. The courses are designed to provide education that is professionally oriented. The University uses the central London location significantly and has links with businesses and professional organizations across the UK. Most of the courses have professional accreditations, and practitioners teach the programs.
- The University of Westminster world ranking in 2022 is such that it ranks at #701-750th category in the QS World University Rankings.
- The University of Westminster rankings is at #801-1000th position in 2022, whereas, according to U.S. News, it ranks at #1306 position in the global universities category.
- University Of Westminster scholarships include Brittan Scholarship, Brian Large Bursary Fund, and Westheimer Health and Social Care Scholarship.
University Of Westminster Ranking
Since its inception as The Polytechnic institution in 1838, the University of Westminster is known to provide academic excellence to its students. If we consider the University of Westminster ranking in UK, then it ranks at 111th position in 2023 and 114th position in 2022 according to The Complete University Guide. As per The Guardian, the University of Westminster ranks at #110 in 2022. In 2021, The Guardian placed the university at #117 position. This shows that there has been an improvement in the rankings of the university as specified by The Guardian.
If we talk about the University of Westminster ranking in the world, then it ranks at #801-1000th position according to the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings 2022. In the year 2021, it was at the same position i.e. 801-1000 as per THE. The University of Westminster world ranking according to U.S. News & World Report is #1306 in 2022 for the best global universities category. Read: University of Westminster Admissions 2022
The University of Westminster QS ranking in 2023 and 2022, is #701-750. However, if we consider the past two years’ rankings of the university, then there has been a decline as per QS World University Rankings. In 2020 and 2021, the University of Westminster QS world ranking was #651-700.
University Of Westminster Acceptance Rate
What are the chances to get into this university?
According to data published by UCAS on January 30, 2020, the current acceptance rate at the university is 17.24%. While this is general acceptance rate, some courses have an even lower rate of acceptance. Therefore, to be accepted at the University of Westminster is a challenge and a matter of great pride.
How many international students are studying at the university?
Students from over 160 nations join university every year to complete their undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral studies. University has over 900 alumni based in India and worldwide. It has even launched the Westminster India Alumni Network, to connect graduating students from the university with alumni back in India for placement, internship, and mentoring opportunities.
Admissions at The University of Westminster
£20 – £200
How to Apply at University of Westminster
- The students can apply online.
- Fill out the application form.
- Enter all the relevant details.
- Pay the University Of Westminster fees.
Note: University Of Westminster application fee is GBP 20 ( INR 1,879).
Documents Required to Apply to University of Westminster
The requirements for admission diff according to the different departments, all University Of Westminster international students must submit the following documents:
- A statement of purpose is not required.
- A letter of recommendation is needed for all courses.
- Essays are necessary for a few classes.
- CV is not required.
- Additional documents are required.
Exams Accepted By the University
For admission, You must meet the specific University Of Westminster admission requirements:
English Proficiency Requirements
Students seeking University Of Westminster Eligibility Requirements must score the following marks on the English Proficiency Test:
|English Proficiency Tests||Score|
The University of Westminster is a public university based in London, United Kingdom. Founded in 1838 as the Royal Polytechnic Institution, it was the first polytechnic to open in London. The Polytechnic formally received a Royal charter in August 1839, and became the University of Westminster in 1992.
Westminster has its main campus in Regent Street in central London, with additional campuses in Fitzrovia, Marylebone and Harrow. It also operates the Westminster International University in Tashkent in Uzbekistan. The university is organised into three colleges and 12 schools, within which there are around 65 departments and centres, including the Communication and Media Research Institute (CAMRI) and the Centre for the Study of Democracy. It also has its Policy Studies Institute, Business School and Law School. Westminster had an income of £205.1 million for 2017–2018, of which £22 million was from funding grants, research grants and contracts. The university is a member of the Association of Commonwealth Universities, the Association of MBAs, EFMD, EQUIS, and the European University Association.
Westminster’s alumni include a Nobel laureate in Medicine, the inventor of cordite, heads of state, politicians and mayors, Olympians, scientists, BAFTA– and Oscar-winning filmmakers, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, Grammy Award-winning musicians, journalists, and poets.
Why Choose University of Westminster?
- Programs: University of Westminster offers admission in more than 350 undergraduate and around 240 postgraduate courses. Prospective students can choose programs from 24 different subject areas.
- Acceptance Rate: University of Westminster exhibits a highly selective admission policy with an overall acceptance rate of 15-18% only.
- Admission Requirements: For admission to the undergraduate programs, international students need 58-80% scores in Class XII of various Indian boards of education. To get into any postgraduate program in the university, a good honours degree is required from a recognized institute. IELTS, TOEFL, PTE and a few equivalent English proficiency test scores are required for admission to both UG and PG courses. Indian students can display 70% and above in Class XII English as an alternative.
- Application Deadline: The university accepts applications till May 1 for the September semester and June or July semester. Another intake takes place on October 15 for the January semester.
- Cost of Attendance: The university charges international students 14,400 GBP (~14.43 lakh INR) per year as an international tuition fee.
- Campus and Accommodation: The university campus hosts 19,000 international students hailing from 169 nations. The university has its own cinema, it has produced a number of oscar-winning film directors. The university takes pride in being the alma mater of Pink Floyd. Staying on-campus in the university halls will cost you around 180-290 GBP per week (~18,000-29,000 INR).
- Scholarships: University of Westminster arranges a generous scholarship scheme of a one-off amount of 2000 GBP (~2 lakh INR) for the overseas postgraduate students. Furthermore, you can opt for external scholarships like Chevening Scholarships, Marshall Scholarships, Fullbright Awards and others.
- Placements: University of Westminster maintains partnerships with 183 industry partners. Students pursuing doctoral programs at University of Westminster earn an average annual salary of 99,000 GBP. Executive MBA graduates of the university pocket an average salary of 78,000 GBP per annum.
University of Westminster Rankings
The University of Westminster is ranked
- #651 to 700 in QS World University ranking
- #801 to 1000 by Times Higher Education
|Application Portal||UCAS or School Application Portal|
|Application Fee||20-30 GBP|
|Mode of Payment||International bank transfers|
|Intake Seasons||Autumn and Spring|
|Work Experience||Optional for various graduate courses|
|Financial aid||Discounts, scholarships, and waivers|
University of Westminster Campus
- University of Westminster is nestled in four campuses across London and a range of strategic venues including cinema, sports facilities, gallery spaces, etc.
- Three of the four campuses are in central London while the remaining one is in Harrow
- The campus in central London and Harrow is home of foundation program, short courses, bachelor, master and Ph.D. programs through its seven academic schools
- The University of Westminster records a presence of research facilities, accommodation facilities, sporting facilities, etc., on campus.
University of Westminster Residence
- All international students offered admission on campus are eligible to apply for housing on-campus.
- Accommodation contract usually span for 38 weeks for a fee ranging from 4,989 GBP to 10,380 GBP; and it includes all bills and utilities associated with the rooms.
- Facilities and services available on-campus residence halls include Campus restaurant, Card-operated laundry, 24-hour staff on-site, common room, car park, bicycle storage, shared kitchens, Wi-Fi, etc.
- The campus accommodation facilities were specially designed for easy access to students with physical disabilities.
|Options||Amount (per week)|
|Alexander Fleming||192.15 – 262.85 GBP|
|Harrow hall||181.23 – 209.02 GBP|
|Marylebone hall||230.16 – 286.09 GBP|
University of Westminster Courses
- University of Westminster offers various programs at the undergraduate, postgraduate level, along with many professional and short courses across several fields..
- Study mode include full-time, part-time, part-time day release, sandwich, and open/distance learning
- Start dates for courses at the school in September and January
- The University of Westminster also offers English language support program and international summer school to support those who do not have sufficient English requirements or who wants to improve their command of English
University of Westminster Application Process
Application Portal: Undergraduate application is online via the school application portal or UCAS, while Postgraduate is via the School Application Portal
Application Fees: 25 GBP by UCAS for an undergraduate application while Postgraduate application is free for all courses.
Entry Requirements for University of Westminster Admissions are as follows :
- Tamil Nadu, CBSE, Kolkata, ICSE boards with 70% or above
- West Bengal board with 58% or above
- Gujarat or Maharashtra boards with 75% or above
- Overall average of 80%+ or above
- A recognized IFC Course from a UK or Indian institution following grades between 60% – 65%
- Postgraduate: Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 2nd Class Honors.
- Note: Some courses may require additional requirements like an interview, a written assignment or portfolio, or a test.
- The official deadline set by UCAS for most courses is 30th June. For Medicine or Dentistry program application, the deadline is 15th October before entry/resumption in September the following year
- Postgraduate: July 1st for September intake and December 1st for January intake
- Academic transcripts
- A reference letter
- Personal Statement
- English Language Test Scores
- Copy of current passport
- Program-specific requirement
English Language Requirements
- High X and XII scores in English are accepted from ICSE, CBSE, and Maharashtra boards.
- IELTS Indicator is accepted at the moment. Other scorecards valid for the university admissions include the usual IELTS, TOEFL and PTE scores. Students who could not meet the minimum course English language requirements can enrol in a pre-sessional English program
University of Westminster Cost of Attendance
The average estimated annual cost for 2020/2021 session is presented on the table below:
|Fees||Foundation (GBP)||Undergraduate (GBP)||Postgraduate (GBP)|
|Accommodation||4,989 – 7,748||7,220 – 10,830||7,220 – 10,830|
|Others||1,278 – 1,542||4,047 – 4,662.5||2,556 – 2,982.5|
|Total||15,517 – 18,540||26,267 – 30,042.5||28,776 – 32,362.5|
Note: A tuition deposit of 4,000 GBP is required from all applicants who receive an offer of study from the school.
University of Westminster Scholarships
- Applicants may get funding opportunities from various sources not limited to international organizations, host countries, individuals and even the school
- Scholarships awarded by the school are usually based on three criteria: development potential, academic excellence, and financial need
- Examples of scholarships awarded by the school include:
- Westminster International Postgraduate Full Scholarship worth full tuition fee, living expenses, accommodation, and flights fees
- Westminster Undergraduate High Achiever Awards worth 1,500 GBP per academic year (for a maximum of three years) for living expenses or tuition fees
- Westminster Undergraduate Full Scholarship worth Full tuition fee, living expenses, accommodation, and flights tickets to and from London
- Westminster Postgraduate Part Fee Scholarship worth 3,000 GBP tuition fee awards for the first year only.
- Short course – Nutrition in Emergencies scholarship worth full tuition fee only
- Other external scholarships available to international students include:
- Chevening Scholarship: Chevening Scholarship is funded by the UK Government to award international postgraduate students to develop global leaders. The amount covers full Scholarship which includes flights, accommodation, and course fees
- Queen Elizabeth Commonwealth Scholarships: These scholarships are awarded to international masters students from the commonwealth nations. The amount varies
- Commonwealth Open Awards: This scholarship is offered to students coming from low-income Commonwealth countries.
University of Westminster Alumni
Benefits for University of Westminster Alumni include the following:
- Discount for further studies
- Discounted gym and cinema membership
- Free pass at exclusive networking events
- Discounted tickets fee for Regent Street Cinema
- Alexander Fleming – Physician and Discoverer of Penicillin
- Christopher Bailey – Former president and CCO of Burberry
- Vivienne Westwood – Fashion Designer
University of Westminster Placement
- Notable University of Westminster graduate destinations are BBC, Barclays, NHS, Harrods, etc.
- Through the partnership with organizations across several industries, students have the chance to work and learn from top global employers
- The average annual salary of the University of Westminster graduates as reported by PayScale is 31,376 GBP
- According to emolument, the average salary according to degree for the University can be seen as:-
|Executive MBA||78,000 GBP|
|Masters in Science||57,000 GBP|
|Masters in Finance||54,000 GBP|
University of Westminster is one of the oldest research-based universities of London, which offers over 700 courses in form of undergraduate, graduate and short courses. Most of the courses are accredited by international agencies and are available for international students aspiring to study at London campus. Providing various accommodation options at reasonable cost along with a chance to study in London, UK; University of Westminster stands out to be the best choice for students.