Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Western Michigan University is a public research university that was established in 1903 by Dwight B. Waldo as Western State Normal School. It’s aviation program is ranked within the top 5 aviation programs in the US Education System which makes it one of the coveted institutes nationally.
The university offers 147 programs at the undergraduate level, 73 programs at the masters level and 30 programs at the doctoral level. The university consists of seven colleges that offer a wide range of diverse courses for international students. With a student-faculty ratio of 16:1, the institute ensures quality education and opportunity for growth for all its students and is indeed a favored institute aiming international aspirants to study in USA.
Western Michigan University admissions are provided on a rolling basis around the year. The institute, however, does observe certain early and regular admission deadlines of November 15 and January 15, respectively, and encourages all its students to apply for admission at the earliest in order to enhance their chances at enrollment. It is one of the lightly selective institutes in the country with a high acceptance rate of around 81%.
Western Michigan University Rankings
- On the national level, the university has been ranked at 1176th position by US News and World Report.
- Forbes magazine places the institute at 564th place in the US.
- Times/WSJ ranks Western Michigan University in the 401-500 band in the US.
- Washington Monthly ranks it at 199th place in the US.
Western Michigan University Highlights
|Annual Endowment||405.2 million USD|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Cost of Attendance||28,195 USD|
|Campus Housing Capacity||28%|
|Application Deadline (Regular)||January 15|
|Application Fee||65 USD|
|English language proficiency score||TOEFL or equivalent|
|Financial Aid||Available as Scholarships and Awards|
Western Michigan University Programs
The university offers a plethora of courses for international students at the ranging level of undergraduate, graduate and doctoral. Undergraduate programs provided are more than 147 and include BBA, BA, BS, BSE, BFA, BSW and certificate courses.
There are 73 Masters programs that include MS, MSA, MFA, Accelerated MA etc plus more than 30 Doctoral programs that include Applied Economics, Biological Sciences, Civil Engineering, etc. All the courses provided by the institute are offered across its 7 colleges.
Popular majors available at the institute are – Business, Management, Marketing; Health Professions; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies; Engineering; and Visual and Performing Arts.
Western Michigan University Campus
- Western Michigan University Campus is spread across 1200 acres and it has over 150 buildings. The campus is divided into 5 parts.
- It is located in Kalamazoo which is located between Chicago and Detroit.
- The West Campus is the major campus and is the largest of the five. It hosts the majority of the academic and administrative buildings of the university.
- The East Campus is the original campus that was established in 1903. This campus has the historical buildings of the university such as the East Hall, West Hall, Walwood Hall which was renovated in 1992 and hosts the Graduate College. The campus also hosts the Medieval Institute, and the WMU Office of Research.
- The college has 17936 undergraduate students and 4933 post-graduate students and an academic staff of 864.
Western Michigan University Housing facilities/Residence
The university provides on-campus accommodation for its students across its four major residential neighborhoods. These neighborhoods include a variety of housing and dining options. The Resident Hall can accommodate up to 28% of the student population or around 5,000 students and they provide activity halls, dining centres and 24-hour staff.
Western Heights is the newest addition to the campus and is focused on housing the freshmen year students. The Spindler Hall is the oldest residence hall and provides 80 furnished rooms with community bathrooms, kitchens and laundry facilities.
The university apartments are located close to the campus and the rent includes utilities as well as cable TV. These apartments are available either furnished or unfurnished.
Western Michigan University Application Procedure
How to apply?
Application Portal: Apply online at the official website of West Michigan University.
Application Fee: A fee of 65 USD must be submitted while applying at the college.
Basic Admission Requirements
- The college requires students to possess a diploma from and certification by an accredited secondary school.
- These academic programs should have a minimum of 16 units and include English (four years), Foreign Language (three years), Laboratory Science (two years), Algebra and Geometry (two years and one year respectively), and History (two years).
- The college requires a candidate to submit their SAT or ACT score. The applications go through rigorous review before a candidate is selected.
- The international applicants need to appear for either TOEFL or IELTS if they come from a non-English speaking background.
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Work Experience and Interview (additional, may be required for certain courses)
- The 4-year graduation rate of students is 54%.
The admissions are done in three phases that are Early Decision I where you need to apply before 15th November. Early Decision II phase has a deadline of 1st January, and the Regular Decision phase ends on 15th January.
Western Michigan University Cost of Attendance
Since it is highly encouraged that prospective international candidates of the university hoping to study in the USA must plan their finances well in advance prior to applying for admissions, an estimated cost of living for international students to study in US has been compiled for the ease of the students as follows:
|Expense||Cost in USD|
|Tuition and Fees||30,349|
|Housing and Meals||9,894|
Note that on the basis of average annual income of the family, a student needs to spend around 11473 USD (average income less than 30000 USD), 13512 USD (income between 30000 and 48000 USD), 17626 USD (income between 48000 and 75000) USD, 20400 (income between 75000 and 110000 USD) and if the income is more than 110000 USD the average fees rises to about 21800 USD.
Western Michigan University Scholarships/Financial Aids for International Students
- The university offers various forms of financial aid like awards and scholarships for international students to study in USA
- Around 45% of students receive some form of financial aid from the university.
- The average need-based scholarships offered are USD 5,320.
- To be eligible for financial aid, a student must be enrolled in a degree-seeking course.
- International students get the Diether H. Haenicke Scholarship which is a merit-based scholarship.
- The scholarship amount ranges between 5,000 to 15,000 USD depending on the GPA of the student.
Western Michigan University Alumni Network
More than 250,000 alumni are associated with Western Michigan University and are offered benefits like financial services, career services, travel and hotel discounts, library access, etc.
Some of the notable alumni of the university are as follows:
- Tim Allen, the actor is an alumnus of West Michigan University.
- Terry Crew, the actor, and the host is also an alumnus of West Michigan University.
- Rashida Tlaib, congresswoman and former Michigan state representative
- Homer Stryker, the founder of Stryker Corporation, a Fortune 500 company.
- Richelle Mead, #1 New York Times Bestselling author.
Western Michigan University Placements
The median salary of university graduates is around 47,000 USD based on over 1400 reported salaries. With the 25th percentile of undergraduates and graduates having a salary of around 30,000 USD and 40,000 USD, respectively, and 50th percentile with an average salary of 47,000 and 53,000 USD, respectively, the institute guarantees great opportunities and a stable future for its students..
As per the organization’s annual reports, 75% of the university pass-outs are employed full-time. While 73% of the students manage to land a job within Michigan, around 93% of students get a job related to their field of study out of which 90% of students reported that they are satisfied with their jobs.
Western Michigan University FAQs
Ques: What are application requirements at Western Michigan University?
Ans: Western Michigan University asks all students to complete an online application. International applicants will need the following to successfully complete this application:
- Copy of passport identification page
- Proof of English language proficiency*
- Transcripts from all secondary and post-secondary schools attended or are attending, including diplomas, examination results, mark sheets, and certificates*
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- Proof of sufficient funds for the first academic year of study at WMU according to the estimated cost of attendance
Ques: Do I need an SAT or ACT score for Admission to WMU?
Ans: SAT and ACT scores are not required of international applicants for admission consideration. SAT and ACT scores can be useful for placement in mathematics courses and an automatic invitation to join the WMU Lee Honors College. Students should request that official scores be provided to Western Michigan University using the following institutional codes: 2066 for ACT and 1902 for SAT
Ques: Are my official transcripts or degree certificates required for admission?
Ans: Degree certificates, final and/or official transcripts are not generally required as a pre-condition of admission to WMU, and admission decisions will be processed prior to receipt of these documents. They should be submitted to our office as they become available or upon your arrival at WMU. Please note that official transcripts are original transcripts delivered directly from the institution in a sealed envelope.
Ques: What are undergraduate application deadlines for Western Michigan University?
Ans: Fall: June 15
Spring: October 15
Summer: March 15
Ques: What are graduate application deadlines for Western Michigan University?
Ans: Fall: April 1
Spring: August 1
Summmer: Jaunary 15