Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Chemistry and Chemical Biology majors must satisfy the foreign language requirement by one of the following methods by the time they complete 90 semester units:
- A letter grade of C- or higher in the third year of a high school foreign language;
- Demonstrated proficiency in a foreign language by SAT Subject Test, AP, IB or GCE A level examination;
- Grade of at least C- in the third quarter or second semester of foreign language, comparable to an equivalent course taught at UC Berkeley.
Junior transfer students must fulfill the foreign language requirement before admission. Students may satisfy the foreign language requirement in any of the following ways:
- Receiving a grade of C- or higher in high school courses comparable to the third year level of any language other than the language of high school instruction.
- For many students who attended high school outside of the United States, where English is not the language of instruction, then English may be your foreign language. (For example, if you went to high school in China where the language of instruction was Mandarin and took the 3rd level of English, then English is considered your foreign language).
- Passing a college course comparable to the second semester of a foreign language as taught at UC Berkeley. This course may be taken for a letter grade or P/NP. You must earn at least a C- or a P.
- Achieving a score of 590 or better on the SAT II Foreign Language Subject Exam.
- Achieving a score of 3 or better on any AP Exam in a language other than English.
- Achieving a score of 5 or better on any IB Higher Level Exam in a language other than English.
- Obtaining a grade of C or better on the General Certificate “A” or “O” Level, HKCEE or HKALE Exams in a language other than English.
College of Letters and Science
All students applying to the College of Letters and Science must satisfy the Language other than English requirement by completing either a full UC IGETC, or satisfying the L&S Essential Skills.
Ways to satisfy the foreign language portion of the L&S Essential Skills:
- Completion of the second level course of a foreign language (other than English) at an accredited college with a grade of C- or higher
- Completion of a high school foreign language (other than English) course through the third year of instruction
- Score of 3 or higher in an AP Exam in a foreign language (other than English)
- Score of a 5 or higher on an IB Higher Level Exam in a foreign language (other than English)
- Score of 590 or higher on a SAT subject test in a foreign language (other than English)
- Grade of A, B, or C (or 1, 2, or 3) on an GSE A-Level or IGCSE O-Level exam
- Score of 1-5 on the Foreign Service Institute (FSI) or Defense Language Institute (DLI) exam