Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
According to a 2016 report by the McKinsey Global Institute, the volume of data doubles every three years. As data-driven business models change the face of industry, developing the ability to capitalize upon this valuable resource is compulsory.
In a recent analysis, PwC determined that 67 percent of job openings requiring data science and analytics competencies are for “analytics-enabled” roles, such as chief executive officer, chief data officer, director of IT, human resources manager, financial manager, and marketing manager. While the jobs are there, there is a shortage of analytics-enabled personnel who combine expertise in their industry with the ability to understand and leverage big data to engage in predictive analytics or make data-informed business decisions.
To help close this skills gap, Boston University’s Metropolitan College offers an online Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics Management degree program. Students have the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with a variety of analytical models and decision-support tools, which they can apply to interlinked data-inputs and large data sets in the areas of marketing, operations, product and technology innovations, financial services, and others. Boston University’s applied business analytics curriculum covers advanced software tools and functions, such as descriptive, predictive, and prescriptive modeling; text and data mining; visual analytics; and business simulations. Graduates of the program will be able to analyze data-driven business processes, select appropriate analytical methods to monitor and identify performance issues, prescribe possible outcomes, and propose optimal data-based solutions.
Students who complete the master’s degree in Applied Business Analytics will be able to demonstrate:
- The knowledge and skills necessary to better utilize available information in operational, tactical, and strategic decision-making in organizations.
- Experience with various powerful emerging technologies and techniques for increasing the value of both in-house and third-party data sets.
- An understanding of how organizations are using interlinked data-inputs, analytics models, and decision-support tools to better understand their operations, customers, and markets.
- Expertise in web analytics and metrics, and the ability to procure and process unstructured text, and delve into hidden patterns within data sets.
- The ability to facilitate knowledge discovery using data-mining and visualization techniques over vast amounts of data.
Why Choose BU’s Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics?
- The Applied Business Analytics program offers the flexibility of online or on-campus study formats, ensuring that students can earn their degree the way that suits them the best.
- In 2021, Metropolitan College’s online master’s degrees in management were ranked #6 among the Best Online Master’s in Business Programs (Excluding MBA) by U.S. News & World Report.
- Boston University is an accredited member of AACSB International―The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
- Learning from expert faculty from MET’s Department of Administrative Sciences, students benefit from our unique combination of dynamic academic curriculum, the latest educational technologies, flexible delivery modes, advanced pedagogy, and professional contacts within the business analytics industry.
14%increase in jobs through 2026
$82,450median annual pay in 2017
11%increase in jobs through 2026
$84,300median annual pay in 2017
Market Research Analysts
23%increase in jobs through 2026
$63,230median annual pay in 2017
Mathematicians and Statisticians
33%increase in jobs through 2026
$84,760median annual pay in 2017
Operations Research Analysts
27%increase in jobs through 2026
$81,390median annual pay in 2017
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2017-18 Edition
By 2018, the United States alone could face a shortage of 140,000 to 190,000 people with deep analytical skills as well as 1.5 million managers and analysts with the know-how to use the analysis of big data to make effective decisions.
The online Master of Science in Applied Business Analytics consists of 10 required courses (40 credits).*
Students who already hold the Graduate Certificate in Applied Business Analytics may waive the four specialization courses.
*Degree requirements may vary for those students transferring credits from previous coursework at Boston University or receiving course waivers due to professional designations.
Students must complete the degree core courses, specialization courses, and electives as indicated.
As a prerequisite to the course MET AD 571 Business Analytics Foundations, students are required to complete MET AD 100 Pre-Analytics Laboratory. Some courses may have additional prerequisites.
Degree Core Courses
(Four courses/16 credits)
METAD571 Business Analytics Foundations
METAD605 Operations Management: Business Process Fundamentals
METAD632 Financial Concepts
METAD715 Quantitative and Qualitative Decision-Making
(Four courses/16 credits)
METAD616 Enterprise Risk Analytics
METAD654 Marketing Analytics
METAD688 Web Analytics for Business
METAD699 Data Mining for Business Analytics
(Two courses/8 credits)
Choose two additional Administrative Sciences graduate-level courses, with the advice of the Administrative Sciences department coordinator.
The following courses offered by other Metropolitan College departments are allowed with advisor approval:
METCS634 Agile Software Development
METCS684 Enterprise Cybersecurity Management
METCS688 Web Analytics and Mining