Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Florida State University is a public university which was established in 1851. Today, it is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida with an aim to preserve, expand, and disseminate education in Arts, Science, Technology, Profession, etc. The university is one of the moderately selective institutes for studying in the USA and observes an acceptance rate of nearly 37%. The university has been accredited by Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) to award Associate’s, Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degrees.
Programs at Florida State University include 104 Bachelor’s Degrees, 111 Master’s Degrees, 11 specialized degrees, 67 Doctoral degrees, and 2 professional degrees. It has over 47,000 students from the state of Florida and 131 countries. With a student-faculty ratio of 21:1, students are provided with the best in class facilities and innovation opportunities, making it one of the most popular universities to study in the US.
Florida State University Rankings
Various ranking agencies have ranked FSU across the set of indicators of academic excellence. Latest rankings of FSU are as follows:
|QS Ranking||World University ranking||#456|
|US News and World report||National University ranking||#58|
|US News and World report||Most innovative schools||#80|
|US News and World report||Top Public school||#19|
|THE ranking||World university ranking||#251-300|
|ARWU ranking||World university ranking||#201-300|
|CWUR||World university ranking||#274|
|CWUR||National University ranking||#92|
|University Type||Public University|
|Accreditation||Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS)|
|Number of Undergraduate Programs||104|
|Number of Graduate Programs||111|
|Campus area||1,428 acres|
|No. of residence halls||18|
|Types of residence||Suite-style and apartment-style|
|Graduate retention rate||83%|
|Minimum Graduate GPA required||3.0 overall|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships and grants available|
Florida State University Campus
- The city life of Tallahassee provides many learning opportunities and sources of recreation for students.
- The main campus of Florida State University is located in Tallahassee but they have marked their presence in Panama, London, Italy, Europe, Latin America, Asia and Spain as well.
- With over 1,428 acres of campus area, Florida State University provides a number of campus services and spaces for students to engage in.
- Florida state university provides a number of athletic services like recreational center, intramural sports, sports club, bowling arena, and a variety of outdoor opportunities.
- The FSU library is open for all students to get free membership. They have shifted it online after the advent of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Students are also provided with high-speed internet, free VPNs, and IT services throughout the campus.
- The newly established innovation hub is equipped with the latest cutting edge technologies and 3-D printers to allow students to engage in their creative side.
- In 2015, of the 41,000 students enrolled at the university, 78% were undergraduates, 18% of graduates, and 2% unclassified. Women account for 55% of the total enrolment whereas minorities made up 32%.
Florida State University Residence
- Florida State University offers over 18 halls of residence for on-campus residency.
- These halls are classified and charged on the bases of either suite-style hall; 2-4 roommates with one bathroom, or apartment-style halls; 2-4 roommates with a common kitchen and living room.
- Residents are provided with basic furniture, Wifi services, and free repair services.
- They are also enrolled in the Living-learning community which helps in forming bonds and learning skills at the same time.
- Students are required to pay rent every semester and can apply for residency at a hall right after they have confirmed their admission to the university.
- Prior application is required for getting the residence facilities and a non-refundable deposit of 300 USD has to be given.
Florida State University Programs
- Florida State University has over 18 schools and colleges providing specializations in Arts, Sciences, Applied Sciences, Engineering, Education, Law, Business, Music, Nursing, Social work, and many more.
- The graduate school provides various specializations for graduate students looking to gain more knowledge and research activity in their choice of subject.
- The university also offers specialized programs like joint graduate programs, dual degree programs, graduate certificate programs, and Combined and Direct-Entry pathway programs.
- The most popular programs at Florida State University are in th
- e fields of Psychology, General; Finance, General; Criminal Justice/Safety Studies; Marketing/Marketing Management, General; and English Language and Literature, General.
- Prospective students can also opt for various online programs provided by the institute to complete their degrees online.
- The Center for Undergraduate Research and Academic Engagement allows undergraduate students to take up multiple research opportunities and acquire essential knowledge required in the industry.
Top Programs in Florida State University
|Programs||Fees per Annum|
|M.Sc Computer Science||$19,994|
|M.Sc Mechanical Engineering||$33,322|
|B.Sc Information Technology||$15,143|
Florida State University Application Process
Every year the university admits 1,700 international students, mostly for graduate courses, but they actively encourage international students in undergraduate courses as well. There are many additional requirements for international students who are interested in admission to Florida State University. The application process is briefly mentioned below:
- Application Portal: Online, Common/Coalition Application
- Application Fee: 30 USD
- Documents Required:
- Academic Transcripts
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE Test Scores
- International Transfer Credit
- Valid Passport
- Certificate of Financial Responsibility
- Graduate admissions are Online as well and it is recommended by the university that prospective students should complete the admission form twelve months prior to the proposed session of enrolment.
- Graduate students are required to submit transcripts of a Bachelor’s Degree with a minimum GPA of 3.0, as well as GMAT/GRE test scores.
- The College of Medicine and College of Law have separate entry-level requirements and admission criteria that students are requested to check before applying.
- The retention rate for full-time undergraduate students was 93% and for graduates was 83%.
- Students are required to submit all transcripts to the following address
Florida State University
Office of Admissions
A2500 University Center
282 Champions Way
Tallahassee FL 32306-2400
Florida State University Application Deadlines
All the applicants must adhere to the following deadlines and submit the required documents to the office of admission on time.
Undergraduate Application Deadlines
|Application Procedure||Admission Decision|
|Priority deadline: Dec 1, 2020||Feb 18, 2021|
|Final deadline: Dec 1, 2020||Rolling basis starting in March|
Graduate Application Deadlines
|Spring||Nov 1, 2021|
|Summer||March 1, 2021|
|Fall||July 1, 2021|
Florida State University Cost of Attendance
- Students can check the approximate cost calculator on the official website of the University.
- While submitting proof of financial stability, students are required to keep the following cost to study in US:
|Tuition Fee||18,799 USD for 26 credits||20,043 USD for 18 credits|
|Living expenses||14,004 USD||16,890 USD|
|Books and Supplies||1000 USD||1000 USD|
|Health Insurance||2606 USD||2606 USD|
|Total||36,409 USD||40,539 USD|
Financial Aid for International Students at Florida State University
- The institute offers various financial aid worth 550,000 USD per year along with scholarships for international students to study in the USA.
- Keep in mind that US Federal grants and loans are not available for international students.
- International students can apply for the Out-of-state tuition waiver scholarship which is based on academic merit.
- International students can also apply for athletic scholarships if they represent the university in any intercollegiate sports.
- Grants and Loans are made available by the federal government regularly for students to avail.
- Talent scholarships for Music, Art and Dance are granted by various departments which students can learn more about by contacting the department itself.
|National Merit finalist||80,000 USD|
|Presidential scholarship programs||31,200|
|University freshman scholarship||9,600 USD|
|Partner promise scholarship||12,000 USD|
|Out-of-state tuition waiver scholarships||14,444 USD|
- Some notable alumni from Florida State University include
- Burt Reynolds; American actor, director and producer
- Lee Corso; American Sports broadcaster and football analyst
- Jim Morrison; Singer, songwriter and poet
- Cheryl Hines; Actor, comedian and director
- The FSU Alumni Association helps alumni to stay connected and find college mates in their respective fields.
- Membership of the Alumni Association also grants many perks like discounts and FSU merchandise.
Florida State University Placements
- The career center staff at FSU helps and assists students at every stage of their career development process.
- They organize individual career advising and counseling, various career fairs, networking events, etc for the students and alumni of FSU.
- They help them to explore a different potential career that aligns with their values, interests, and skills.
- SDS 3340 is a career development class conducted to inculcate necessary skills for their career.
- Students can also use the Individual Career Learning Plan (ILP) to organize their career decisions into small, manageable steps.
- The average graduate employability rate of FSU is 73%.
- According to payscale, the average salary of an FSU graduate is 63,570 USD.
Salaries of FSU graduates and alumni-By Degree:
|Masters in Finance||133,000 USD|
|Masters in Science||100,000 USD|
|Bachelor of Science||95,000 USD|
|Bachelor of Arts||72,000 USD|
Ques. What is the acceptance rate of Florida State University?
Ans. The acceptance rate of FSU is 36% making it a selective University.
Ques. Is Florida State University prestigious?
Ans. FSU has been ranked at #456 in World University ranking by QS ranking and at #58 in Nation by US News and World report.
Ques. What is the GPA requirement for admission in an undergraduate course at FSU?
Ans. Average GPA required is 4.1-4.5 for admission to FSU.
Ques. What are the application deadlines for undergraduate admission to FSU?
Ans. DECEMBER 1 2020 is the application deadline for ug admission.
Ques. Does FSU provide scholarships to international students?
Ans. Yes, various scholarships are offered to international students at FSU like National Merit finalist, Presidential scholarship program, Out-of-state tuition waiver scholarships, etc.
Ques. What is the average cost of attendance for undergraduate students at FSU?
Ans. The average cost of attendance for undergraduate students is 36,409 USD and for graduate students is 40,539 USD.
Ques. Which is the highest-paid degree offered at FSU?
Ans. Masters in Finance is the highest-paid degree offered at FSU.
Ques. What is the average graduate employability rate of FSU?
Ans. The average graduate employability rate at FSU is 73%.
Ques. What is the minimum SAT/ACT score required for admission to FSU?
Ans. The average SAT score required is 1290-1410 and the average ACT score is 29-32.