Last Updated on December 26, 2022 by Fola Shade
acceptance rate of 85%
One of the eight Ohio campuses, Kent State University is a public institute in the USA. The university currently ranks among the nation’s top 77 public research institutes by the Carnegie Foundation. With around 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students, and more than 2,57,000 alumni worldwide, the organization is one of the renowned names in the US Education System.
The university offers more than 200 education abroad programs in more than 60 countries overall. An average of over 70 faculties at the institute has the highest degree in whichever field they teach. The university also has 166 active patents for research and has many programs under special accreditation.
The institute is home to approximately 2,500 international students seeking to study in the USA who come from nearly 100 countries. It is located in the Great Lakes region of the nation with a high density of Fortune 500 companies located within 48 kilometers of the campus that offer students internship opportunities to enhance their learning. Admissions at Kent State University are available in 2 intakes of Fall and Spring with an acceptance rate of 85% and thus is a coveted organization with a moderately selective approach towards admissions.
Kent State University Rankings
Universities are ranked as per their performance and calculated multiple indicators. Here are the rankings of Kent State University: As per the US News and World Report 2021:
|Top Public Schools||#109|
|Top Performers in Social Mobility||#174|
As per the Times Higher Education (THE) 2021 Rankings:
|World Universities Ranking||#801-1000|
|Arts and Humanities||#401-500|
|Clinical, pre-clinical, and health||#601|
|Engineering and Technology||#201-250|
|Business and Economics||#601|
As per the QS 2021:
|Global MBA Program||#201|
|Total enrolment (full time)||38,000 approximately|
|Registration fee (for international students)||USD 70|
|English proficiency test scores accepted||IELTS/ TOEFL/ Cambridge English Test/ PTE/ Duo Lingo Test|
|Financial aid||Scholarships, Assistantships, Grants, Loans|
Kent State University Programs, Campus and Accommodation
- Kent State University has 8 campuses all across the USA and the entire world. The campus is spread across 950 acres of beautiful land.
- The university serves more than 38,000 students across its 8 campuses. Kent State university is also famous for serving its students in the country’s first gluten-free dining hall.
- The institute was ranked the safest big college campus in Ohio and the 25th safest in the country, according to the National Council for Home Safety and Security in 2018.
- A full-time, certified police force of more than 30 sworn officers protect the university campus and are on duty 24/7 in support of students, staff, faculty, and visitors.
- With a total of around 131 buildings, the focal point of the university is the University Center with its spacious Risman Plaza, flanked by both the 12-story library and the Kent Student Center.
- Kent State University offers 24 residence halls to its students along with 13 living-learning programs.
- The university also has more than 15 cafes, restaurants, dining halls and coffee carts at the campuses.
- The institute has 11 residential learning communities and more than 20 dining areas for students with proper staff, security and services.
- Applicants can apply for the residence at the campus online.
- Applicants need to submit an application fee of USD 40 and a pre-housing payment of USD 200 before occupying the rooms at the residence halls.
The various residence halls at the university include:
- Twin Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two sleeping rooms, a living area and a bathroom that are shared with another suite. Beall Hall and McDowell Hall are a part of the Twin Towers housing around 500 sophomores, juniors, seniors and graduate students.
- Tri-Towers houses over 13,000 students including incoming freshman students, first-year to upper-class students in single and double rooms. The Tri- Towers comprises Koonce Hall, Korb Hall, Leebrick Hall and the Wright Hall.
- Eastway comprises the Allyn Hall, Clark Hall, Fletcher Hall and the Manchester Hall. These residence halls house only first-year students and comprise mostly double rooms.
- Centennial Court comprises five different residences that house all kinds of students in single, double, triple or suite-style rooms.
- The Quad houses first to upper-year students and the Honors College students in double and triple rooms. The Quad consists of the Johnson hall, lake Hall, Olson Hall, and the Stopher Hall.
Kent State University Courses
- There are more than 300 degree courses at udnergdaute and graduate level available at Kent State University to choose from.
- The university also offers online degrees and certificates.
- Other interdisciplinary programs are also offered like biomedical sciences and design innovation.
- The university also offers graduate programs along with research and sponsored programs.
- KSU’s College of Business Administration ranked in the top tier “Best Undergraduate Business Programs’ ‘ according to US News and World Report’s.
- It’s College of Public Health is the first public health institute in Ohio and one of the largest in the USA offering a bachelor’s degree
- Kent State also offers Ohio’s only accredited Master of Library and Information Science program which ranked among the top 20 graduate schools in the field by U.S. News and World Report
- The College of Aeronautics and Engineering offers the largest flight-training program in Ohio and is recognized by major airlines and the U.S. military as one of the top flight schools and best university aviation programs in America.
|Course||1st Year Tuition Fee|
|MS Computer Science||INR 13.6 Lakh|
|MBA||INR 15.1 Lakh|
|BBA||INR 15.1 Lakh|
|BS Architecture||INR 15.1 Lakh|
|MA Applied Mathematics||INR 13.6 Lakh|
Kent State University Application Process
The college welcomes students from all around the globe, students can get the application requirements for every program individually at the website itself, the process is quite simple and can be done easily. Some programs are considered to be competitive and may require additional requirements apart from the general ones, and can be checked online. These programs may require additional admission criteria which may include: resumes, references, interviews and others.
How to apply?
Application Portal: All students are required to fill the online application form through the official website of the university.
Application Fee: USD 70 non-refundable
Basic Admission Requirements:
- Complete university transcript of record
- Financial support evidence
- International students are required to demonstrate proficiency in the English language by submitting TOEFL, IELTS or Cambridge english test certificate/PTE or duolingo test
- Program-specific requirements.
- High school recommendations
- SAT/ ACT scores optional
Here are the application deadlines for International Freshmen Applicants:
|Undergraduate Programs||Deadline to Apply|
Proof of English language proficiency
Application Deadlines: The preferred application deadlines for undergraduate admissions to KSU are October 1 for Spring Semester and June 1 for the Fall Semester. The application for the graduate program differs therefore applicants must look for the details on the university website.
Kent State University Costs of Attendance
The distribution of expenses in the form of an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US is as mentioned below.
|Type of Fee||International Undergraduate (12-18 credits) (Full time for immigration purposes)||International Graduate (calculated at 9 credits) (Full time for immigration purposes)||ESL|
|Tuition and Fees (1 year, two semesters) – out of state tuition cost) *||USD 21,400||USD 18,957||USD 14,295|
|Living Expenses (estimated)||USD 13,064||USD 13,064||USD 13,064|
|Other Costs:”Medical Insurance and Books/Supplies”(estimated)||USD 5,238||USD 5,238||USD 3,524|
|Total||USD 39,702||USD 37,259||USD 30,883|
Kent State University Scholarships/Financial Aid
- Majority of the students at Kent State University receive some kind of financial aid like awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA.
- Freshmen applicants can apply for the international freshmen scholarship, international civic engagement scholarship and others.
- International graduate applicants can apply for the graduate assistance.
- Students can also visit the Education USA to check more applicable scholarships.
However, international students are not eligible for federal financial aid and grants but can apply for various international scholarships offered by the university. A few of the scholarships offered by KSU are:
- #YouAreWelcomeHere Scholarship
- Incoming undergraduate freshmen students for fall semester
- Minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on the US 4.0 scale
- Completion of a scholarship application and a 500-1000 word essay
- Renewable award ranges from 8,000 USD- 9,000 USD per year
- Graduate Assistantship
- These include fellowships or one of three types of graduate assistantships: administrative, teaching or research
- The student will receive a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend in return for up to 20 hours of work per week during the academic year
- A scholarship that may require external funding or a competition
Here are the scholarships available for international students:
|Scholarship||Amount||Type of Scholarship||Deadline|
|Global Scholarship- For Undergraduate Students||USD 4,000||Available to all incoming undergraduates||Rolling|
|International Freshmen Scholarship||USD 20,000||Merit-based||December 15|
Students can look for external international scholarships to study in the USA that are awarded by various private agencies and organizations. Another financial aid option for international students can include education loans. Students can contact private banks or private lenders based on the terms and conditions involved.
- International students are not eligible for to work off-campus without prior approval
- They can apply for various assistantships and other campus jobs
- Can work a maximum of 20 hours a week.
Kent State University Alumni Network
The institute provides a range of benefits to its alumni. Some of the notable alumni at Kent State University include Steve Harvey, Joshua Cribbs, Jeff Richmond, Julian Edelman, Michael Keaton and many more.
Kent State University Placements
It has been seen that around 92% of students at Kent State University are employed or continue their education within six months of their graduation. Students are employed with more than 1000 employers who offer placements to them. Students graduating from the Kent are even employed across 16 countries all over the world.
Here is a list of salaries offered to alumni of Kent State University as per different courses:
|Bachelor of Science||USD 73,000|
|Master of Science||USD 110,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||USD 47,000|