Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
The Sigmund Freud University Vienna is an integral part of this valuable educational network, with branches in Paris, Ljubljana, Berlin, Milan and Linz and more than 3.000 students.
- PrivateInstitution Type
Social Sciences (1)
In 1999, the Private University Act passed the Austrian Parliament, making it possible to found a university in Austria. As defined by this law, the wording must include “private” university, thus differentiating private universities from state institutions. An extensive and strict accreditation procedure is in place and must be repeated every few years to meet the required quality standards. The Austrian authorities exclusively use foreign assessments for this procedure.Show less
People are attracted by better job opportunities, a wide range of cultural activities – which, however, are increasingly available in rural areas as well – and especially by better educational opportunities. These advantages outweigh the often architecturally forbidding urban areas in which people have to live. Hence, the outstanding educational institutions in Vienna which are sites of reflection, ambition and innovation, come as no surprise. Vienna is the second biggest university city in the German-speaking areas, offering a wide range of educational and vocational training opportunities at public and private universities and universities of applied sciences.Show less
The SFU’s research profile is characterized by two unique features:
- SFU branches in several countries enable research projects from a cooperative international perspective.
- The SFU as a center of excellence offers the framework for cross-faculty interdisciplinary research.
This requires a close cooperation of faculties and branches in the field of research in order to benefit from synergies arising from the scientific staff’s individual research expertise.
Good examples are research in psychosomatics where the Faculty of Human Medicine closely cooperates with the Institute of Psychosomatics of the Faculty of Psychotherapy Science, and the psychotherapy training research conducted by SFU Vienna and SFU Ljubljana.Show less
To show you exactly what we mean, we are providing some 149 apartments in 12 different categories, allowing you to rent the type that suits you. From single to double studios, both available in XS and XXL sizes, these living spaces are not only right on the WU campus but are also equipped with all the important details that really matter to students.
All our studios are equipped with the following:
- entrance hall with wardrobe
- kitchenette with fridge, ceramic hob, microwave, sink
- XL bed (XS–M studio: width 100 cm, L–XXL: width 140 cm)
- large desk
- flatscreen TV
- generous storage space and shelves
- ethernet and TV wall sockets
The SFU Vienna library is a reference library open to SFU students and researchers. You may use available items inside the library only – you cannot check out any media. The total library stock includes over 35,000 items, consisting mainly of books and journals in German.
Campus Studios is part of a unique campus in Vienna, comprising the Vienna University of Economics and Business (WU) and the Sigmund Freud University, where every part of student life is concentrated in one place.The best thing about shared living is of course the communal aspect. To ensure that all the hard work does not get in the way of your social life, there are a number of communal spaces available to residentsShow less
- To make sure you get enough exercise while you study, Campus Studios has an exclusive gym on the premises.
- The building has its own sauna, ensuring that relaxation is on the doorstep of every student. After a hard workout, a tiring day at uni or if you simply wish to chill out in the evenings, everyone who wants to can come and work up a sweat.
- Vienna is ideal for travelling from A to B by bike. To ensure bikes are kept safe at night, there is a lockable bike storage room to protect your bike from wind, bad weather and theft.
SaunaBike storage roomShow less
Sigmund Freud University is an accredited private university under Austrian law. It offers study programmes in Vienna and at the locations in Linz, Berlin, Ljubljana, Milan and Paris. The academic degrees awarded in the individual programmes are Austrian degrees which are recognized in the European Higher Education Area.
Sigmund Freud University Acceptance Rate
|#2944 of 14,160
|In the World
|#864 of 2,789
|#18 of 71
|#7 of 23
|#1571 of 1,586
|#3337 of 4,839
* Sigmund Freud Private University Vienna is among the institutions that don’t provide data on acceptance rates. This might happen because a university has programs where an applicant only needs to meet admission requirements to enroll and doesn’t necessarily competes with others.
We estimate the above acceptance rate based on admission statistics of closely-ranked nearby universities with similar research profiles that do publish such data
Acceptance rate & Admissions
|secondary school certificate (Matura), vocational certificate (Berufsreifeprüfung), or foreign equivalent. Two admission interviews. Entrance examination subject to program requisites.
|September to July; (September – January; February – July)
|Full time employee
Publications & Citations
Sigmund Freud Private University Vienna majors
by publication & citation count
|367 / 3,155
|Liberal Arts & Social Sciences
|78 / 428
|64 / 764
|58 / 1,026
|58 / 596
|Obstetrics and Gynecology (OB-GYN)
|43 / 216