Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Journalism and Mass Media Research Topics for your Dissertation
Journalism is basically getting information and distributing it to various media channels such as TV, Radio, newspaper, and social media. This is the reason why journalism is quite a wide field. This means that when you are looking for a journalism research topic for your undergraduate projects, master’s thesis or a dissertation, you have access to a limitless list. However, it is important not to choose a very broad subject as it may lead to confusion. When considering a dissertation topic, narrow it down to a specific question. This will give you more focus and an easier time when carrying out the research. Ensure your research topic is also not very narrow as that would give you a hard time looking for relevant information.
Research topics in journalism/news
News is the most common aspect of journalism. This is basically the most straight-forward aspect of journalism. News journalists basically have to distribute facts just the way they are. There are several research topics that can be very appropriate for this journalism aspect:
1. The future of journalism. Is true journalism dead? Is social media, paparazzi, blogging the future of journalism?
2. Propaganda models. Which propaganda models do the media houses follow? How do different countries differ in how they practice journalism?
3. Privacy and journalism. A look at the relationship between British journalism and royal family. How has journalism contributed to Henry and Meghan’s change of lifestyle?
4. Journalism and business. Where do media people draw the line? Is the main goal to inform the public or to make money? How do different media houses compromise (in terms of quality) in a bid to attract and keep investors (advertisers).
5. Political instability in African countries. How has journalism contributed to political turmoil in Kenya?
6. Women journalists in media. How are women journalists treated in the world? What are the limitations faced by women journalists? Are there places that women journalists shouldn’t be sent to?
Dissertation topics on political and investigative reporting
Investigative journalism is an aspect of journalism that aims at uncovering the truth concerning an issue, an event, or even a person. For investigative and political journalism to be effective, information distributed must be factual.
1. Media and image. How does media help establish a country’s image? How can media help change Afghanistan’s negative image in the eyes of the world?
2. Media and power hungry politicians. What role does the media play in ensuring that such politicians are kept in check?
3. Dangers of investigative journalism. A look at several journalists who have suffered while doing investigative journalism. What steps can media houses take to keep their investigative journalists safe?
4. Media in the developing countries. How have politics shaped the developing countries? Why do politicians in developing countries keep giving empty promises that are never fulfilled?
5. What has made USA to be the superpower that it is? The competition between USA and China for the top seat, what role does the media play in this?
6. Corruption and politics. A look at Kenyan government and corruption. Why do the two co-exist so efficiently? How has corruption wounded Kenyan economy?
You may also like: The little secret why your friends are earning better grades
Dissertation topics on film and animation
Film and animation involves concepts such as film making, screen writing, editing, and camera work. Film and animation is very broad and often studied separate from journalism. Here are several topics you can choose from:
1. Role of race and religion in Hollywood. How are Arabic men depicted in Hollywood cinema?
2. Hollywood and Bollywood. How can the two be compared? How have they affected the world economy? How have they changed cultures in the world?
3. Place of Nollywood on the film market. How can Nollywood filmmakers improve their industry?
4. Bollywood. How has Bollywood grown over time? How has its growth affected Indian economy?
5. Hollywood and violence. Has Hollywood led to increased cases of violence especially among the youths?
6. Television or cinema? Is television becoming more popular than cinema?
Dissertation topics on advertising/corporate communication
Corporate communication is an important aspect of mass media. Every organization needs a communication department to help in managing all communications in and out of the organization. Corporate communication helps make efficient communication between an organization with its suppliers, investors, customers, employees among others.
Advertising on the other hand involves promoting a product or a service using the known media channels. It is very popular with big corporations since it is one way you’re assured that your message will reach your audience.
So what can you cover on your dissertation?
7. What is the importance of advertising on the media? Can media exist without advertising?
8. Media is highly dependent on advertising as a means of earning an income. Does this compromise its standards?
9. Can large corporations that are doing perfectly well stay without advertising?
Research topics on business reporting
Business reporting helps analyze and report commercial activities that affect the economy. Business reporting is usually more detailed than some other aspects. It is also very factual, and requires the business reporters to make complex business reports simple for everyone to understand. There are lots of topics you can choose from when it comes to business reporting. They include:
1. Pandemics and economy. A look at different pandemics that have happened worldwide and their effect on the economy. What is the impact of Coronavirus on economy? How is it likely to cause the greatest recession to have ever been experienced?
2. Chinese economy. How has Chinese economy risen so steadily over the years? Will Covid-19 cause a halt on this steady rise?
3. Economy and social networking. How has social networking changed the way business is done? Is ecommerce the future of business?
Research topics on developmental journalism
Development is an essential part of our world. Development journalism deals with ideologies, policies, or events that help improve life. Development journalism is quite wide since it covers almost everything and anything that is meant to improve human life. Here are some topics you can choose from if you want to do a dissertation of developmental journalism:
1. Education still a distant dream for most children in poor countries. How can media handle the rising cases of illiteracy in undeveloped and developing countries?
2. FGM, rape and defilement, and domestic violence cases are still on the rise in many countries. How can media help in reducing these cases?
3. Poverty levels still alarming in developing countries. How can the media help in coming up with solutions for this?
Writing a dissertation on a journalism subject can be quite interesting. However, it is important to understand the nature of journalistic writing. Journalistic writing requires a more practical approach as compared to other fields. It is therefore important to use interviews, surveys, and other practical methods to collect data.
20 INTERESTING DISSERTATION TOPICS IN JOURNALISM AND MASS COMMUNICATION
If you are studying media studies, journalism, or even English then you may be required to write a dissertation that is in some way related to journalism and/or mass communication. It is a very interesting topic to study, and has evolved considerably over the past few centuries.
In fact, the way in which mass communication exists in the present day is very different to how was just a few decades ago.
Ultimately, prior to inventions such as the printing press, mass communication didn’t really exist in the same way. In order to announce news to big groups of people, the only options were either very time-consuming or could only reach relatively small groups of people. These days though, particularly with social media, large numbers of people can be informed about events almost the moment that they happen.
With such a wide ranging subject to write about, you have a wide choice of different topics to base your dissertation on. Some of the ideas that you may wish to consider at been listed below.
- A comparison of social media and traditional media in terms of how people find out about the news
- How powerful are mass media companies?
- What role does journalism have in forming and toppling governments?
- A history of mass communication in the 20th century
- How does North Korea control mass communication?
- Should governments interfere in journalism?
- What regulations should journalists follow?
- Do newspapers do enough to ensure that journalists abide by ethical codes?
- How has technology changed the way in which mass communication reaches the public?
- Is the Internet more important in terms of mass communication than the invention of the printing press?
- What is the future of newspapers?
- Will journalism become a largely freelance industry in the near future?
- Should journalists be able to hide behind confidentiality agreements?
- How reliable are newspapers as a source of information?
- How do governments use mass communication to manipulate the public?
- How important is social media as a tool for mass communication in oppressed societies?
- How dangerous is misinformation provided by media companies?
- Is the nightly news relevant?
- How has rolling news coverage affected the quality of journalism?
- How important is it to have a degree in journalism for those who want to build a career in newspaper industry?