Last Updated on July 31, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
University College London is one of the leading multidisciplinary institutes in London, United Kingdom that was the first university to offer admissions to women and candidates of all religions. It is one of the regarded UK universities for international students with more than 42,000 students and around 13,000 staff coming from 150 different nations across the world. The college has an acceptance rate of 63% and houses a significant percentage of international students as a part of its enrolled strength. An applicant who has secured an average GPA 3.0/3.7/4.0 (for certain courses) makes for an ideal candidate eligible for admission to the institute. Some salient points in regard to admissions at University College London are as listed below:
-Applicants should have at least four A-levels in addition to GCSE Mathematics and English Language with grades 7 or above 5 respectively or equivalent qualifications recognized as equivalent by UK NARIC (National Recognition Information Centre).
- The institute accepts applications via the online application portal of the University, i.e., UCL Apply Online system and through offline mode (paper-based) too.
- The university offers all courses in English language.
- The application deadline for Autumn term falls in the month of March; for Spring and Summer term, the deadline falls in the month of September.
- The application fee for 2020 entry is GBP 20 for one course and GBP 25 for more than one course.
- The application fee for graduate courses is GBP 80 for online applications.
- Candidates would be issued a provisional admission letter by the University College London on receipt of a completed application.
- International candidates are required to produce their provisional admission call letters to get immigration approvals.
- Candidates must ensure the availability of all the immigration-related documents at the time of making a visit to the University for admission.
COVID-19 Admission Updates
The university campus will be open for the next term and students are expected to come to the campus for learning but in case any student is unable to reach London due to travel restrictions, then they can access the learning material online.
|Application Portal||Online portal|
|Type of University||Public|
|Application Fee (Undergraduate)||Single course: GBP 20|
More than one course: GBP 25
|Application Fee (Graduate)||Online application: GBP 80|
Paper application: GBP 105
|Mode of Payment||Credit card/ Debit card|
|Total Number of Students Enrolled||42000|
|Percentage of International students||41%|
|Academic Calendar||Semester- based|
|Financial Aid||Scholarships/ Loans/ Grants/ Work- study|
|Work Experience||Required for some courses|
The institute offers an array of courses for international students, admission deadlines for which are as given below:
|2020 entry||October 15, 2019 (Medicine courses)|
January 15, 2020 (for full consideration)
|2021 entry||October 15, 2020 (Medicine courses)|
January 15, 2021 (for full consideration)
20 June is the last date for receiving applications by UCAS and any applications submitted after that are not forwarded to UCL by UCAS.
The application deadline for graduate courses is extended to August 28, 2020.
International Student Admissions
There are several additional requirements for the international students along with the general requirements which are the same as the applicants belonging to the United Kingdom.
Application Portal: Online applications can be submitted through UCL’s online application portal called ‘Portico’.
Application fee: 75 GBP (For Online application)/100 GBP(For Paper-based application)
Biasc Admission Requirements
- Official transcripts
- Personal statement
- English proficiency test scores are required for international applicants who do not have English as their first language.
- Financial statement and recent bank statement.
- Copy of passport.
- Some programs also require work experience
English Proficiency Test Score
All the international applicants who do not belong to the UK or do not belong to any English speaking nation need to prove their proficiency in English by submitting their IELTS/TOEFL or equivalent score. The minimum requirements levels of various acceptable tests for admission are given below.
|TOEFL- iBT||Standard level: 92|
Good level: 100
Advanced level: 109
|IELTS||Standard level: 6.5|
Good level: 7.0
Advanced level: 7.5
|CPE||Standard level: 176|
Good level: 185
Advanced level: 191
|CAE||Standard level: 176|
Good level: 185
Advanced level: 191
|Duolingo||Standard level: 115|
Good level: 125
Advanced level: 135
|Malaysian Certificate of Education English Language Communicational||Standard level: Grade 6 pass|
Good level: Grade 6 pass
Advanced level: Grade 4 pass
|Hong Kong Certificate of Education English Language||Standard level: Grade 3 pass|
Good level: Grade 3 pass
Advanced level: Grade 4 pass
Visa Process for International Students
The visa process for foreign students to obtain a tier 4 general student visa to study in the UK is given below:
- After being granted admission to the university, the international students will be required to apply for a student visa.
- The student visa required for a full time course is known as Tier 4 student visa from UK Visas and Immigration.
- GBP 348 fees have to be paid by the applicants for obtaining a student visa.
- Documents required to apply for the Tier 4 student visa:
- Offer letter from the University College London.
- 2 photographs
- Tuberculosis test
- Proof of financial support.
- Academic transcripts
- Schedule and attend a visa interview at the UK embassy in your home country.
University College London Undergraduate Admissions
University College London offers many undergraduate degrees. Some of the degrees offered are LLB, BSc, BA, BFA BEng, BASc etc. The basic requirements for all the courses are almost similar. However, there are some specific requirements which differ with course.
Where to Apply: Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS)
Application Fee: Single course: GBP 20
Up to 5 courses: GBP 25
Admission Requirements: The applicants will have to submit the given documents with the application and the application fee:
- Secondary school qualification
- Official Transcripts.
- Personal statement.
- Recommendation letters
- International students are required to prove that they are proficient in English language by submitting their English Language Proficiency Test scores.
- Some programs might have some additional requirements also.
University College London Graduate Admissions
UCL offers many graduate degrees. Some of the fields are Advanced Biomedical Imaging, Advanced Materials Science, Astrophysics, Bio-Integrated Design, Chemical Research etc. that are available for international applicants seeking to study in the UK. All courses have some specific admission requirements. The requirements for some of the courses offered by UCL are tabulated below:
Advanced Biomedical Imaging: Candidates should have a first-class Honours degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject such as medicine, pharmacy or biomedical engineering. A 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent qualification may be considered if it is accompanied by evidence of scientific excellence (e.g., publications in peer-reviewed journals).
Advanced Materials Science: Applicants must have a first-class Honours degree or equivalent qualification in Physics, Chemistry or Materials Science/Engineering on a three-year undergraduate course at an approved institution (see list on page 6). Alternatively candidates may hold a Master’s degree from an approved institution (see list on page 6) and have at least two years’ relevant experience.
Astrophysics: Candidates should normally hold a BSc/BA Honours Degree in Physics with Astrophysics as one option from an approved institution (see list on page 5).
|Requirements||Master of Business Administration||Brain Sciences MRes||Computer Science MSc||Advanced Audiology: Audiovestibular Medicine MSc||Master of Arts in Education (Science)|
|GRE or GMAT||Required GMAT score of 600 or more is recommended||Not required||Not required||Not required||Not required|
|Work experience||Required- At least 3 years||Not required||Not required||Required||Recommended and will be taken into consideration|
|English Language Requirements||Standard||Good||Good||Advanced||Good|
Around 41% of the students at the institute are international students. The university accepts students who are competitive and equal to the applicants from the UK. Admissions are very competitive and students are advised to apply early in order to increase their chance of getting accepted.
The admission committee of UCL aims to process the applications within a duration of 1.5 months. However, in certain cases, it may take longer if the supporting documents are not received within the set deadlines. Furthermore, there are other factors that govern the overall processing time as sometimes the admission committee decides to process the applications only after the expiry of the final deadline.