Last Updated on February 4, 2023 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
Choosing a major is a big decision, and it’s not always easy to know which one will be the best fit. At UCSB, though, there’s only one way to get into the school: by transferring from another UC campus.
If you’re looking for information on UCSB transfer acceptance rate by major, you’ve come to the right place. We’ve assembled eight major categories and hundreds of majors within these categories for an overview of what you can expect when applying for admission at UCSB.
UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate
Our UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate By Major page provides an overview of the transfer acceptance rate for each major at UCSB. The transfer acceptance rates are based on the most recent three years of admission statistics, are reported by major, and were verified for accuracy by UC Santa Barbara on May 2, 2014. If you would like to see more detailed data on specific majors, please contact us.
College is an exciting time for students, but it can also be a stressful time.
When you’re choosing which major to pursue, there are many factors to consider. You’ll want to find a college that has the major you want, as well as a good GPA and transfer acceptance rate for that major. The UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate by major allows students to decide if they want to be a pre-med or some other major. UCSB, and any college has much more to offer besides their medical program. Finding out which college major is easiest to get into is made easy on our dedicated blog. College learners go through many steps when choosing which college major is the best choice for them. They need to research the colleges with that major, check the average GPA for current students, and compare it to their own GPA. Based on this, many students change their majors or schools, or fail classes because they were easier classes for other students. We try to make this process as easy as possible so that you can make the right decision for your future
UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate: 59.2%
If you want to get in, the first thing to look at is the acceptance rate. This tells you how competitive the school is and how serious their requirements are.
The acceptance rate at UCSB is 32.2%. For every 100 applicants, 32 are admitted.
Many schools specify a minimum GPA requirement, but this is often just the bare minimum to submit an application without immediately getting rejected.
UC Junior-Level Transfer Eligibility Requirements
The GPA requirement that really matters is the GPA you need for a real chance of getting in. For this, we look at the school’s average GPA for its current students.
Complete 60 semester or 90 quarter units of UC-transferable college credit with a grade
point average of at least 2.4 for California residents (2.8 for non-residents). No more than
14 semester or 21 quarter units may be taken Pass/No Pass.
Complete the following seven-course pattern requirement, earning a grade of C or better in
a. Two courses in English composition (UC-E)
b. One course in mathematics beyond intermediate algebra, such as college algebra,
precalculus or statistics (UC-M)
c. Four courses from at least two of the following areas:
Arts and humanities (UC-H)
Behavioral and social sciences (UC-B)
Biological and physical sciences (UC-S)
Complete required major preparation courses.
UCSB Transfer Selection
Admitted transfer students typically meet and exceed the UC minimum requirements for
admission. All applicants are encouraged to complete preparation in their intended major, and
some majors require this preparation prior to transfer. See the Transfer Major Preparation Guide
for details at admissions.ucsb.edu/apply/transfer/selective-majors.
UCSB Transfer Average GPA: 3.64
The average GPA at UCSB is 3.64.
Many schools say they have no SAT score cutoff, but the truth is that there is a hidden SAT requirement. This is based on the school’s average score.
UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate By Major
If you’re a student looking to transfer from a community college or other institution, you’ll want to get the most out of your education. You may have already heard about the UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate By Major page, which provides an overview of the transfer acceptance rate for each major at UCSB. The transfer acceptance rates are based on the most recent three years of admission statistics, are reported by major, and were verified for accuracy by UC Santa Barbara on May 2, 2014. If you would like to see more detailed data on specific majors, please contact us.
If you’re lucky enough to be heading to one of the best schools in the nation and want a little more information about what will happen next, make sure you talk to counselors and professors at your UCSB transfer school about credits for specific majors. Find out which class level you should be choosing. Also, make sure you talk to your current school’s counselor about your path. It’s better to know now than during the first week of college! You have a lot of work ahead of you… don’t let it get any harder than it needs to be!
UC Santa Barbara Facts & Figures
UCSB Office of Admissions
1210 Cheadle Hall, Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2014
admissions.ucsb.edu | 805-893-2881
Join our mailing list: admissions.ucsb.edu/mailing-list
Visit campus: admissions.ucsb.edu/visit-ucsb/tours
Transfer Class 2020
Transfer Class 2020
applicants — 18,984
admitted —- 59%
size of class (estimated) —- 2,410
average GPA, admitted transfers —– 3.62
UCSB Transfer Acceptance Rate: 59.2%
Chicano/ Latino —— 29%
Asian/ Pacific Islander —— 28%
American Indian/ Alaskan — 1%
Other/ Unknown —– 2%
White —– —– 35%
Black/African American 5%
College of Letters & Science
College of Creative Studies Art, B.A.
Chemistry/Biochemistry, B.A., B.S.
Mathematics, B.A., B.S.
Music Composition, B.A.
Physics, B.A., B.S.
Writing and Literature, B.A.
College of Engineering Chemical Engineering, B.S.
Computer Engineering, B.S.
Computer Science, B.S.
Electrical Engineering, B.S.
Mechanical Engineering, B.S.
Computer Science, B.S./Computer
Computer Engineering, B.S./
Computer Science, M.S.
or Electrical and Computer
Electrical Engineering, B.S./Electrical
and Computer Engineering, M.S.
Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical
Engineering, B.S./Materials, M.S.
Mechanical Engineering, B.S./
Mechanical Engineering, M.S.
Additional Minors American Indian and Indigenous
Architecture and Urban History
Astronomy and Planetary Science
Language and Speech Technologies
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender
and Queer Studies
Mathematics for High School
Poverty, Inequality and Social Justice
Science and Mathematics Education
Speech-Language Sciences and
Teaching English to Speakers of
Theater Production and Design
Women, Culture and Development
Why Study in University of California-Santa Barbara?
- Programs: University of California-Santa Barbara offers admission around 200 majors including over 90 undergraduate programs, 54 graduate programs and a couple of certificate courses.
- Admission Requirements: For admission to University of California-Santa Barbara, students need academic transcripts, proof of financial availability, SOP for USA, resume, standardized test scores (based on program type) and English proficiency test scores.
- Application Deadlines: The official application deadline of UC-Santa Barbara is on November 30, 2022.
- Cost of Attendance: International students require approximately 62,000-67,000 USD (~46-50 lakh INR) to study in UC Santa Barbara. This cost includes tuition, living and miscellaneous expenses.
- Scholarships: Around 58% of the students receive some kind of financial aid from the university. The average scholarship amount awarded to the international students is over 20,000 USD (~15 lakh INR) per annum.
- Placements: The university has an excellent placement record with Executive Management and Change being the highest paying sector demonstrating an average annual salary of 153,000 USD. Financial Services is the second highest paying sector with an average salary of 150,000 per annum.
Check: High paying jobs in USA for international students
University of California—Santa Barbara Rankings
- #146 in QS World University Rankings, 2022
- #68 in World University Rankings by Times Higher Education, 2022
- #76 in US COllege Rankings by Times Higher Education, 2022
- #28 in National Universities by US News and World Report, 2022
- #184 in Best Value Schools by US News and World Report, 2022
|Endowment||403.8 Million USD|
|Attendance Fee||Tuition Fee: 12,750 USD Adding other expenses can extend up to 66,000 USD for some students|
|Total Students||Total enrolment : 26,314|
|Type of Programs||Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD|
|Mode of Program||Full time; Part time; online|
|Housing Capacity||Residence Halls: Total at 9 locations (Capacity: 5425)|
Student Apartments: Total at 8 locations (Apartments:1291)
|Financial Aid||Available via Grants, Loans and scholarships.|
|Total alumnus||Around 2,20,000|
|Admission Helpdesk||[email protected];|
University of California—Santa Barbara Campus
- UC-Santa Barbara campus is huge and offers various amazing campus life with over 500 student organizations and amazing facilities.
- The campus has amazing recreation venues like Multi-Cultural Centre, Pollock Theatre, and the Art, Design & Architecture Museum.
- From tennis to swimming, basketball to baseball to the track and back, UCSB has amazing athletics facilities.
- Situated very close to the Pacific residence halls have ocean, lagoon, and mountain views.
University of California—Santa Barbara Student Housing
- UC Santa Barbara provides residence facilities to students both on and off the campus, the on-campus residence facilities are capable to provide room for about 38% of the total students.
- The university provides residence facilities for students in Residence halls, apartments and student family homes.
- 1291 apartments for graduate and undergraduate students and residence halls that can incorporate around 5500 students.
- There are a number of off-campus housing entities available to UC Santa Barbara students, located throughout Isla Vista, and are available only to the UCSB affiliated populations.
- It provides more than 800 student jobs and leadership positions, most of which go to residents.
- Rates for housing facilities: Various options are available that can be selected as per the financial situation of students. Rooms are viable starting USD 667 per month.
- Various amenities are available in UCSB residence like:
- High speed wireless internet.
- Furnished stay apartments.
- 24 hours housekeeping.
- Live-in staff for student help and guidance.
University of California—Santa Barbara Programs
- International students can choose from an array of courses to study in UC-Santa Barbara including over 90 undergraduate and 50 graduate majors through 5 schools and colleges.
- The most popular majors are – Social Sciences; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; Multi/Interdisciplinary Studies; Psychology; and Communication, Journalism.
- The institute provides a specaual California State University Program for Education and Research in Biotechnology (CSUPERB) which aims at creating a professional biotechnology workforce in the country.
- The university also provides over 30 online courses that can be accessed online across its 23 campuses by all its candidates enrolled at any campus.
- It also offers several pre-doctoral and professional master’s courses in the field of science.
University of California Santa Barbara Application Process
The institute only accepts applications in the fall quarter and is closed for winter and spring admission. Applications from first-time freshman and junior-level transfer students are accepted except for College of Creative Studies, it accepts applications for senior-level transfer.
How to apply?
Application process for the university has following steps:
- Fill online application form.
- Complete the eligibility criteria for university applications.
- Select the courses and the schools you want to apply for
- Students can apply for fee waiver depending on financial condition in such case application for 4 UC campus is free after that USD 70 for each application is charged
- Submit the fee as per requirement.
Following are some key points for UCSB admissions:
- Selection Criteria: 50% academic & 50% non-academic
- Test Scores Required: SAT/ACT/GRE/GMAT as per program requirement
- English Proficiency Tests: IELTS, TOEFL, Duolingo and equivalents
- Additional Requirements:
- Academic transcripts
- Financial statement.
English Proficiency Requirements
International students need the following English proficiency test scores for admission to University of California Santa Barbara.
|Exams||Minimum Scores Required|
|SAT||31 or higher in writing with essay|
|ACT||24 or higher|
University of California Santa Barbara Cost of Attendance
Cost of attendance may vary according to living choices and type of programs of the aspirant enrolled at the institute. The distribution of expenses in the form of an estimated cost of living in USA is provided below.
|Expense Type||Cost in USD|
|Campus based fees||$1,821|
|Books and supplies||$1,260|
|Health care allowance||$3,537|
|Roam and Board||$6,633 / $15,039|
|Telephone/ Cell Phone||$276 / $351|
|Transportation||$933 / $573|
|Personal Expenses||$1545 / $1,371|
|Non-Resident Tuition fee||$29,754|
|Total||$62,232 / $66,372|
For undergraduate students who are not California Residents:
- University Apartments: 62,232 USD
- University Residence Halls: 66,372 USD.
For Graduate students
For graduate students the tuition fee is the same USD 12,570 but the total fee may vary upon choice of residence and other choices.
University of California—Santa Barbara Scholarships
The university provides financial aid like awards and scholarships for international students in USA. Financial aid is also available for international or undocumented students via the Dream Act application (CADAA). Applicants are advised to submit applications before March 2.
Students receive over USD 2.2 million in scholarships per year. Over 58% of students are provided with financial aid yearly. The average annual need-based scholarships awarded is 20,029 USD.
Awards available for international candidates include Beinecke, Rhodes, Marshall, Mitchell, Goldwater, Truman, and Udall Scholarships etc. However, these are campus specific scholarships and just be applied for through the Division of Undergraduate Education as per deadlines declared by the campus.
Financial aid is provided in forms of Work Study: Student work to earn paycheque to fund their education.
University of California—Santa Barbara Alumni Network
UC Santa Barbara has a great Alumni base with over 2,20,000 alumnus who receive lifelong benefits, like access to university publications and resources, vacation and hotel discounts also the alumnus empower students to reach their academic goals by awarding numerous annual scholarships in recognition of achievement and potential.
University of California—Santa Barbara Placements
The students at the university reflect impressive salary trends. The average salaries across various degrees offered by UC Santa Barbara are tabulated below.
|Programs||Salaries in USD|
|Masters in Science||154,000|
|Bachelor of Science||107,000|
|Bachelor of Arts||105,000|
University of California—Santa Barbara admissions are also provided to Transfer Students who have begun their undergraduate program from a different college and wish to complete the rest of the course from University of California—Santa Barbara. Financial Aids provided to fresh admissions and eligible existing students attracts international students to avail the opportunity to study their desired program in a reputed institute of USA.