Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
University of Melbourne Law School Popular Programs
- The Melbourne JD: It is 3 year law degree program offered by University of Melbourne Law School; The JD course comprises 24 subjects, including 16 compulsory subjects with 300 credit points. The Melbourne JD leads to admission to the legal profession in all Australian jurisdictions, and can be used as a basis for seeking admission in many overseas jurisdictions. The 3 years degree program tuition fee is $33,369 per year that is $126,907 for international students.
- Masters of Law: The University of Melbourne Law School offers masters degrees, graduate diplomas and single subjects across specialist legal areas to deepen knowledge and understanding in a general or specialized area of law. All areas are led by an expert in the field and many areas are linked with a research center or institute, which are a valuable academic resource for students. The LL.M program has 19 different subjects as well.
- The LL.M Program: There are two Masters of Laws, LL.M programs besides the specialist programs. The two programs are:
- The Master of Law: The course requires satisfactory completion of eight coursework subjects from those available in the Melbourne Law Master. Besides that, The Master of Laws includes a Minor Thesis option. In order to take this option students complete four subjects drawn from the subjects prescribed by the Law School as part of the coursework program and a minor thesis (50 points of study) on a topic approved by the Law School. The total fee for this degree is $42,688.
- The Master of Law (Consumers Law and Global Competition) Online Program: The Global Competition and Consumer Law program is one of only a handful of comprehensive programs in competition and consumer law in the world. It is designed to gives you the in-depth knowledge and ensures you will be at the forefront of the unique challenges. This The LL.M will challenge and stimulate you with its rigorous approach to learning. You will develop advanced expertise and practical skills in the complex interdisciplinary body of knowledge relevant to the field. The total fee for this degree is $42,688.
- Master of Banking and Finance Law
- Master of Commercial Law
- Master of Construction Law
- Master of Employment and Labour Relations Law
- Master of Energy and Resources Law
- Master of Environmental Law
- Master of Global Competition and Consumer Law (online study options)
- Master of Health and Medical Law
- Master of Human Rights Law
- Master of Intellectual Property Law
- Master of International Tax
- Master of Law and Development
- Master of Private Law
- Master of Public and International Law
- Master of Tax
Other Research Law Degrees Offered: One of the top law schools in Australia, Melbourne Law School offers 3 research law degrees programs. These degree programs are:
- MPhil in Law
- PhD in Law
- LL.D in Law
- Mphil in Law (Masters Of Philosophy)
The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is an internationally recognized research master’s degree of the University. In order to get the degree, A candidate for the MPhil is normally required to have achieved an overall H1 (80–100%) or H2A (75–79%) in a relevant degree or a qualification or combination of qualifications considered to be equivalent. Preparation of a thesis of 40,000–50,000 words, under supervision, on a topic approved by Melbourne Law School. Well, it is 2 years full time program and 4 years part time program.
- PhD in Law (Doctor of Philosophy)
For this degree, students need the preparation of a thesis of 80,000-100,000 words, under supervision, representing an original and substantial contribution to the knowledge of law. it is 4 years degree program in full time and a8 years for part time.
- Doctor of Laws (LLD)
The degree of Doctor of Laws (LLD) is the highest qualification available by examination within University of Melbourne Law School . The work submitted for examination must be of such a standard that it makes “…a substantial and original contribution to legal scholarship and is of such standard as to give the candidate authoritative standing in the field of the candidate’s study.
2021 Admission Intake?
University of Melbourne has two intake sessions, Semester 1 and Semester 2. Of the two Semesters, 1 is the main intake session. Semester 1 deadline for UG courses is November 30 and PG courses are June 12 (unless specified). Applications for UG courses are currently closed. Check: University of Melbourne Admissions requirement.
University of Melbourne Top Courses: Fees & Deadlines
|Program||Fees Per Annum||Application Deadline|
|M.B.A||$34,010||Round 1: Aug 31;|
Round 2: Nov 30;
Round 3: April 30
|Master of Computer Science||$33,999||Semester 1: Nov 30;|
Semester 2: April 30
|Masters in Information Systems||$30,867||November 30|
|Masters in Applied Econometrics||$31,160||October 31|
|Masters in Applied Analytics||$11,184||Term 1: Jan 4;|
Term 2: June 21
|Masters in Data Science||$33,634||October 31|
|M.Sc BioSciences||$28,262||Semester 1: Nov 30;|
Semester 2: April 30
|Master of International Business||$31,508||Round 1: Oct 31;|
Round 2: April 30
|M.Eng Mechatronics||$12,130||Semester 1: Nov 30;|
Semester 2: April 30
|Masters in Banking and Finance Law||$30,145||Round 1: Oct 31;|
Round 2: June 12
|Masters in Business Analytics||$41,800||Round 1: March 31;|
Round 2: May 31;
Round 3: Oct 15;
Round 4: Dec 15
|M.Eng Civil with Business||$30,867||Semester 1: Nov 30;|
Semester 2: April 30
|M.Eng Electrical with Business||$30,867||Semester 1: Nov 30;|
Semester 2: April 30
|Bachelor of Science||$34,917||November 30|
|Bachelor of Commerce||$29,180||November 30|
University of Melbourne Ranking
It is among one of the highest-ranking universities not only in Australia but across the world. Some of the noteworthy ones are:
- Ranked at #41 place as per QS News World University Ranking 2021.
- According to THE World Ranking 2021, it is ranked at #31.
- World Reputation Ranking 2019 of this university is 44.
- According to FT rankings, University of Melbourne’s MBA program ranked at #80 place across the world.
- Graduate Employability Ranking of 2020 placed the university at #7.
|Areas of Study||100+|
|No. of Campuses||7|
|No. of Residential Halls||10+|
|Acceptance Rate||70% – 80%|
|Helpline No.||+61 3 9035 5511|
University of Melbourne Campus
- Started as a mere cluster of buildings in a large park of Parkville, the University of Melbourne now has six more specificialist campuses: Southbank, Burnley, Hawthorn, Creswick, Dookie, Shepparton, and Werribee. Explore the University of Melbourne Campus.
- In addition to campuses, the university connects with three urban innovation precincts, namely Melbourne Biomedical Precinct, Melbourne Arts Precinct, and Melbourne Connect.
- The campus has 11 libraries, 12 museums & galleries, and 38 cultural collections. Students are provided options of exploring a wide range of cultural activities via 200 affiliated clubs and societies.
University of Melbourne Accommodations
International students, enrolled in a full-time course, have the option of choosing between university accommodation (owned by the University of Melbourne) and residential houses.
- Students have to submit a separate application to apply for accommodation.
- You have the option of selecting 3 to 5 accommodation preferences.
- No application fee is charged as of now.
- Once allocated a room, you are required to confirm about the same within 48 hours.
- Weekly rental charges for University of Melbourne accommodation ranges between 200 AUD to 800 AUD.
Those who are not allotted university accommodation can contact Student Housing Service. It provides assistance in finding alternative housing options such as private rental market, homestay, regional accommodation etc. Read more: University of Melbourne Accommodation Expenses
University of Melbourne Admission Process
The admission process for University of Melbourne is well-established and specified. To apply for UG & PG courses, international students need to follow the steps given below:
- Step 1: Choose a course
- Step 2: Verify course eligibility & fees. Checkout University of Melbourne UG & PG requirements.
- Step 3: Apply directly via online application form or VTAC.
- Deadlines: Semester 1: November 30; Semester 2: June 12
- Step 4: Upload Student supporting documentation.
- Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation
- Resume (for PG courses)
- Academic Transcripts
- IELTS/TOEFL Score
- GRE/GMAT Score (for PG courses)
- Step 5: Submit the application and pay the application processing fee of 100 AUD (5,577 INR)
When will you get an admission decision?
The University of Melbourne application outcome is released with 4-8 weeks for degree by coursework programs and 8-12 weeks for degree by research programs.
University of Melbourne Cost
Fees charged from international students are comparatively higher than what is charged from domestic students. The table given below provides an estimate of fees charged for the entire duration of some of the popular programs:
|Program||Total Program Fees (in AUD)|
|Bachelor of Arts||106,656 – 121,608|
|Bachelor of Commerce||131,952 – 141,152|
|Bachelor of Science||132,772 – 170,600|
|Master of Engineering||141,030|
|Master of Arts||77,802|
|Master of Commerce||93,939|
|Master of Science (CS)||91,709|
Cost of Living? Students have to pay other expenses such as accommodation, travel, food, etc. Estimated cost of living while studying at University of Melbourne is around 24,500 AUD to 46,500 AUD per annum.