Last Updated on July 31, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Wharton is one of the most selective business schools in the US: only a meagre percentage of applicants are admitted each year. You may wonder if you have a shot at getting in and want to know what sets apart successful Wharton applicants from all the rest? The answer is a strong application essay during the important first round of admissions.
Right here on Collegelearners you can readily obtain top-notch information on Upenn Wharton acceptance rate 2026, Wharton undergrad acceptance rate 2025, Upenn Wharton acceptance rate 2021, and so much more. Take out time to visit our catalog for more information on related topics.
UPenn Acceptance Rate
Widely considered one of the very best business schools worldwide, the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania is an Ivy League powerhouse, having graduated some of today’s most prominent CEOs, executives, and politicians.
With over $1 billion in its endowment, Wharton is not only prestigious but incredibly well-funded for a business school. Alumni of the Wharton School include SpaceX founder Elon Musk, former President Donald Trump, and even the most successful living investor, Warren Buffett.
Wharton’s domination of most business school rankings lists hardly comes as a surprise, considering the school’s proclivity towards accepting only the most accomplished students in the world.
Not to mention UPenn itself is located in one of the most prominent cities in the United States; Philadelphia is a commerce center and a great place for students to network with like-minded business owners.
UPenn Wharton is both an undergraduate and graduate business school, awarding both Bachelor’s degrees and MBAs. Additionally, graduates of UPenn Wharton have some of the highest starting salaries in the country at nearly $160,000 a year!
UPenn Wharton Acceptance Rate
UPenn Wharton’s acceptance rate for undergraduate students is approximately 9%.
This is actually the same percentage as the admitted class of 2024 at the entire University of Pennsylvania, showing that UPenn Wharton’s acceptance rate is roughly the same as that of the whole school.
Depending on the year, the acceptance rate may fluctuate significantly. However, it rarely increases beyond 10% overall.
If UPenn Wharton is your top choice school, there is a method to increase your acceptance rate significantly. This method is applying via early decision.
Early decision is when a student applies to the school as a firm commitment – if accepted, an early decision applicant MUST enroll at the school.
Because of this extra layer of demonstrated interest and commitment, the University of Pennsylvania as a whole accepts nearly 1 in 5 early decision applicants. Wharton’s numbers are similar, where early decision applicants have a significantly better chance of acceptance into the program.
In the class of 2023, the acceptance rate was a little higher than usual. While 7,338 prospects applied, 897 ultimately enrolled in the school.
However, more than 897 were accepted because the concept of yield means that schools get more students than they believe will commit. Overall, the University of Pennsylvania yield is about 70%, meaning 70% of the accepted students commit to attending UPenn.
wharton mBA class profile
The Wharton School Notable Alumni
There may be no other business school in the world as impressive as UPenn Wharton in terms of graduated alumni. We’ve already mentioned business luminaries Elon Musk and Warren Buffett as two of the most influential graduates.
However, this only begins the list.
Other prominent alumni include household names in the world of business, technology, and commerce. Sundar Pichai, the CEO of Alphabet Inc., the parent company of Google, is a graduate of UPenn Wharton.
Speaking of Google, the current CFO of Alphabet Inc., Ruth Porat, is also a UPenn alum.
Media proprietor Mortimer Zuckerman, who is worth nearly 3 billion dollars according to Forbes Magazine, is a graduate of Wharton. He went on to own several important publications, including The Atlantic as well as the New York Daily News.
The former president of Pepsi, and former CEO of Apple, went to UPenn Wharton. Now into his 80s, John Sculley is one of the most important and influential businessmen of the 20th century.
Fund manager Peter Lynch additionally attended UPenn Wharton. He went on to manage the Magellan Fund at Fidelity Investments, which averaged a 29.2% annual return between 1977 and 1990. This is considerably larger than even the most reliable index funds, such as the S&P 500.
Other alumni include past and present CEOs of major companies, including General Electric, Oracle, and Comcast.
how to get into wharton undergrad
UPenn Wharton Requirements
At both the undergraduate and graduate levels, there are some requirements that UPenn Wharton may expect of a candidate.
On its website, Wharton gives some general advice, including demonstrating both leadership as well as interest in business.
It is true that, unlike in attending medical school, the requirements for business schools, in general, are more open. There are no required undergraduate classes, for example, that a student must complete to get accepted into UPenn Wharton.
That said, there are certainly some expectations an undergraduate or MBA applicant must meet.
As an Ivy League school, grades are critical when it comes to admission. The average GPA for an entering undergraduate student at UPenn Wharton is 3.9.
Additionally, the average SAT score for an entering student is between 1470 – 1550, and the ACT is between 34-36. For context, a 36 on the ACT is a perfect score.
The average GPA for an MBA candidate is 3.5. Additionally, the GMAT score average is 733, which is considered very high and comparable to other top MBA programs.
On top of the GMAT, students applying will also have to take the GRE, an abbreviation for the Graduate Record Exam. The average score for the GRE at UPenn Wharton is 162.
Besides test scores, another essential requirement is essays.
The UPenn Wharton MBA applicant has to compose two essays for consideration in the school. Both essays are short, meaning every single word and sentence counts tremendously.
The first prompt asks what a Wharton MBA will do for your future professional career. The second prompt asks how you will contribute to the Wharton community.
Combined, these essays are less than 1,000 total words, or about 3-4 double-spaced pages.
The Wharton School is the business school of University of Pennsylvania and was established as the first collegiate business school in 1881. This prestigious business school in US has played an important role in transforming the study of business from a trade to an intense and respected profession. The Wharton School programs are offered in 20 disciplines split into undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs. Students can choose from over 19 undergraduate concentrations, 19 MBA majors, and 9 doctoral programs. The school has awarded more than 200,000 certificates from Wharton Online, till date. This business school currently houses approximately 5,000 students from all across the world and has an international population of over 30% in Wharton School MBA course.
Wharton School admissions are available in 3 rounds throughout the year and have different deadlines for its varying range of courses. All the applicants are charged a nonrefundable application fee of 275 USD (for MBA). Wharton School is highly selective with an acceptance rate of merely 12%. Prospective students for Wharton MBA need to submit a GPA of 3.7+/4 (92%+) and a GMAT score of 733 or higher.
The Wharton School cost for studying for international students can go up to 94 lakhs per year including tuition fees and living expenses. The living cost can go up to 27 lakhs per year. To cut down the costs, there are a few Wharton School scholarships for international students granting up to 14 lakhs. Along with that, the school records a 96.8% employment rate in the MBA program. Average salary for Wharton graduates tends to be around 59.43 lakhs per year.’
The Wharton School Rankings
- #1 in Best Business Schools by U.S. News in 2023.
- #2 for Executive MBA in Business School Speaciality rankings by U.S. News in 2023.
- #1 in MBA schools by Financial Times in 2022
The Wharton School Programs
- The school offers an array of courses for international students including undergraduate programs in over 19 disciplines, 19 MBA majors and a total of 9 doctoral programs. Explore: The Wharton School Courses!
- This deemed business school conducts special orientation seminars for students enrolled in any of the programs offered by this college.
- The institute provides 2 types of MBA courses including an MBA for full-time students and an MBA for executives.
- It also offers various dual-degree programs with various other renowned schools of University of Pennsylvania.
- It provides its students with a variety of Interdisciplinary programs– MA lauder or joint degrees.
- The school is also a member of Wharton-INSEAD Alliance which allows its candidates to cover one part of their education abroad at the partner university.
- Some of the popular majors at the institute include accounting, actuarial science, business analytics, business economics, business administration and public policy
The Wharton School Top Programs
|Total Fee per Year
|Master of Science [M.S], Engineering – Systems Engineering
|Master of Business Administration [M.B.A]/Master of Arts [M.A]
|Master of Business Administration [M.B.A]
|Master of Business Administration [M.B.A], Finance
The Wharton School Campus
Wharton School campus in Philadelphia is right on Locust Walk, the brick-lined pedestrian thoroughfare at the heart of the University of Pennsylvania. The Wharton school campus is also known for building close interactions across its numerous centers and is pretty large enough to offer world class facilities.
- There are over 100 student-run clubs and organizations which include concerts, academic honor societies and special interest groups on college campuses.
- The school launched the Student Life Space in Philadelphia’s central business district which is a 20,000 square foot land comprising conference rooms, meeting rooms and over 20 group study rooms.
- Office of Student Like comprises various teams, whose aim is to look after the basic needs of the students including leadership development, housing options, public service, career exploration and community engagement and numerous others.
The Wharton School Accommodation
- The Wharton School provides students with several housing options in its residence halls. However, students can also opt for housing options outside the college campus.
- This Business School comprises 9 residence halls and various apartment communities.
- The Residence life offered by the college aims at encouraging personal development of students through in-hall programs offered by the college, academic and social activities and is also responsible for ensuring that students will get a perfect learning atmosphere.
- A large number of facilities such as laundry, recreation areas, common rooms, parking etc. are provided to students who stay on the campus of the college.
- Students, who wish to stay in any of the residence halls of the college are required to fill the housing application form available on the college’s official website and submit the same at the time of admission itself.
The Wharton School Admission
Wharton School currently has a total 2,500 student in its undergraduate programs, with 22% international students. MBA class of 2023 is made of total 897 students with 36% international students. The school represents 83 countries worldwide. Requirements for 2023 Wharton School admission are as follows.
The Wharton School Application Process
Application Portal: Visit the admissions page on the official website of the University of The Wharton School, USA and fill either the common application or coalition application form.
Application Fee: 75 USD (5,916 INR) for UG | 275 USD (21,691 INR) for MBA
Undergraduate Admission Requirements
- Official academic transcripts
- GPA: 3.6/4 (91%) on average
- SAT/ACT score (optional)
- English proficiency scores
- Letters of Recommendation – 2
- Statement of purpose
MBA Admission Requirements
- Official academic transcripts
- Average GPA of 3.7/4 (92%)
- GMAT: 733 or higher
- English proficiency scores
- Health certificate
- Resume for the ones with job experience/prior experience
- 3 Essay
- Work experience
- Interview (additional)
The Wharton School Acceptance Rate
The Wharton School acceptance rate is 12% only for MBA class of 2023. Toal applications were 7,338 of which, only 897 were enrolled. The class comprises 36% international students representing 80+ countries worldwide. The school has 2,500 students in undergraduate programs with 22% international students.
The Wharton School Cost of Attendance
The Wharton School cost of attendance is made of tuition fees and living expenses. Students can expect the total expense for the MBA programs to be around 94 lakhs per year. For all the prospective candidates, an estimated budget for international students looking to study in the US has been tabulated below.
|Nature of Expenses
|Cost in INR (First year)
|Room and Board
|Books, Supplies & Personal
The Wharton School Scholarships
Numerous financial aids are available for international students at the institute in the form of awards and scholarships for international students to study in the USA. Students applying for MBA program are eligible for Wharton Fellowship programs.
|Minimum 15.81 lakhs
|AAUW International Fellowship
|MPower Global Citizen Scholarship
|Up to 7.90 lakhs
Some more fellowships are –
- Joseph Wharton Fellowship – Students with excellent academic and personal records are eligible.
- Prism Fellowship – Covers the tuition fees. Students from the LGBTQIA community are eligible.
The Wharton School Alumni
Alumni of the Wharton School are usually provided with various benefits including access to offers made by the Credit Union of the college, Alumni Debit Card, Alumni Select, free access to library and health & fitness services and many more.
A few notable alumni of the Wharton School, USA are as follows:
- Donald Trump – 45th US President
- Elon Musk – CEO of SpaceX
- Sundar Pichai – CEO of Alphabet
- Ivanka Trump – American Businesswoman
- Anil Ambani – Politician
The Wharton School Placements
The Wharton School, USA conducts numerous career fairs for its students which include Workshops, Creative Industries Career Fair, Placement Test, Teacher-Recruitment Fair, Career Link, Career Assessment Activities and many others for the betterment of students.
The median salary for graduates with an MBA from the institute is around 135,000 USD.
- More than 89% of the students get full-time employed after graduation.
- 92.3% of undergraduate students get full-time employment after completing their degree program.
- The median salary the undergraduate students receive is around 82,444 USD (65.83 lakhs).
- The average salary of Wharton graduate students is 74,434 USD (59.43 lakhs).
- Full-time MBA reported 99% full-time job offers and accepted 96.8%.
- MBA class of 2021 graduates get a yearly median salary of 155,000 USD (123.76 lakhs).
- Over 12.3% of full-time MBA jobs are offered outside of the U.S.
Source: The Wharton School
The top industries Wharton students get employment in are tabulated below with employment percentages.
Top companies from around the world come to Wharton for recruitment: Google, JP Morgan, Goldman Sachs, Amazon, Microsoft, Time Inc., McKinsey, and Blackstone. Most students take careers in brand management, financial management, investment banking, law, nonprofit management, technology, and private equity.