Last Updated on August 12, 2023 by Oluwajuwon Alvina
Have you ever waved enthusiastically to a flying aeroplane, back in your childhood? Have you ever drooled over the thought of designing and engineering huge aircraft and aviation vehicles? If yes, then Aeronautical Engineering is definitely for you. Being one of the lesser-known yet most exciting fields, Aeronautical Engineering deals with conceptualization, designing, constructing, manufacturing, testing and maintaining civil and military aircraft and missiles through computer technology. However, after you choose a specialization of your choice, the next big step that is essential to take your career to big heights is choosing the right university or college which offers the courses of your interests.
Right here on Collegelearners, you are privy to a litany of relevant information on best colleges in bangalore for aeronautical engineering, which course is best for aeronautical engineering, and so much more. Take out time to visit our catalog for more information on similar topics.
Best Colleges In Bangalore For Aeronautical Engineering
A career in Aeronautical Engineering is in great demand. It is one of the most preferred options for those who are looking forward to great opportunities in engineering branches. Several colleges in the country offer bachelor’s as well as master’s degree programs in Aeronautical Engineering. Choosing the best one is a tricky task and that is why we have curated a list of the best Aeronautical Engineering colleges in India.
|Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in India||Location|
|Indian Institute of Technology [IIT]||Kanpur|
|Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering||Dehradun|
|Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology||Thiruvanthapuram|
|Punjab Engineering College||Chandigarh|
|Manipal Insitute of Technology||Manipal|
|Madras Institute of Technology||Chennai|
|Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science||Chennai|
|School of Aeronautics||Delhi|
|Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering||Bengaluru|
|Kumaraguru College of Technology||Coimbatore|
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Bangalore
- Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering
- Dr Ambedkar Institute of Technology
- Nitte Meenakshi Institute of Technology
- Acharya Institute of Technology
- AMC Engineering College
- MVJ College of Engineering
- ACS College of Engineering
- Global Academy of Technology
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Mumbai
- Guru Gram Institute of Aeronautical Engineering and Technology
- Annasaheb Dange College of Engineering and Technology
- Shashtri Group of Institutes
- Sanjay Ghodawat University
- Priyadarshani College of Engineering
- Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University
Aeronautical Engineering Colleges in Delhi
- School of Aeronautics
- UPES Delhi
- Delhi Institute of Aeronautical Sciences
- Agra College of Management and Technology
- Manav Rachna International Institute of Research and Studies
Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)
When it comes to Engineering, IIT does not compromise education. Among the list of IITs, campuses in Kharagpur, Mumbai, and Madras are known to be some of the topmost Aeronautical Engineering colleges in India that provide exceptional knowledge and understanding about designing and constructing aircraft and spacecraft. The IIT Kharagpur was ranked at =314 internationally in the QS World University Rankings 2021 whereas the IIT Kanpur bagged 72nd position in the QS Asia Rankings 2021.
Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering (IIAE) Dehradun
Providing both theoretical and practical study programs, the Indian Institute of Aeronautical Engineering Dehradun offers both Aeronautical and Aerospace courses to the students. It is a gateway institution for candidates looking for the best career options either in India or abroad. The students are given a deep understanding of the topics such as aircraft structures, Aerodynamics, Aeroplane Propulsion, Aircraft Materials, Dynamics and Controls, Avionics and Business, etc.
Punjab Engineering College (PEC) Chandigarh
Since the inception of the Department of Aerospace Engineering in 1962, Punjab Engineering College always had an eye for technological advancements and never looked back thereafter. Being one of the best Aeronautical Engineering colleges in India, PEC is a pioneer in providing quality education to budding engineers. Its highly qualified professors are experts in teaching the fundamentals of Thermodynamics, Aerodynamics, Aircraft Propulsion, Aircraft Structures, Aero-engine Design, Gas Dynamics, Computational Fluid Dynamics and Aircraft Materials and Processes. This prestigious public institute bagged the 78th position among the top 100 Engineering colleges in the country according to NIRF Ranking 2019.
Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology (IIST) Thiruvananthapuram
Offering BTech, MTech and PhD courses in Aeronautical Engineering, the Indian Institute of Space Science and Technology has always given accurate and paramount importance to the design and development of aircraft, launch pads, spacecraft and like systems. Some of the topics under the BTech programs include Solid Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Heat Transfer and Material Science, Fluid Mechanics, Gas Dynamics, Propulsion, etc. whereas the MTech programs under Aeronautical Engineering involve Thermal and Propulsion, Structures and Designs, Aerodynamics and Flight Mechanics.
Madras Institute of Technology (MIT), Anna University
Madras Institute of Technology has been a holy grail for all the candidates who aspire to become Aeronautical engineers. The institute’s Department of Aerospace Engineering offers undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Aeronautical Engineering and has been a pioneer in driving the education and research in this field through its competent and highly qualified faculty members and laboratories. MIT ranks 14th in the list of top Engineering colleges in India according to the NIRF ranking 2019.
Which Course Is Best For Aeronautical Engineering
Aeronautical Engineering courses are a popular branch of engineering courses that deals with lightweight helicopters, drones, air careers, missiles, weapons, and a series of flying elements.
- There are various degrees in Aeronautical Engineering courses that help the students to learn designing, navigation, construction, engineering, safety precautions, aircraft maintenance, internal computing systems, and so on.
- The average course fees for Aeronautical Engineering courses vary between INR 1,50,000 – INR 5,00,000.
- An Aeronautical Engineer’s primary responsibility is to design aircraft and propulsion systems, but over time, the engineer is given many more responsibilities to carry out. There are job openings in the defense services and aviation industries.
- The average starting salary for Aeronautical Engineer varies between INR 5,00,000 – INR 8,00,000.
- The scope of the Aeronautical Engineering courses is very broad, with candidates having a job profile of Aeronautical Engineer with many specializations such as Aeronautic Electronic Engineers, Aeronautic Mechanical Engineers, Flight Engineers, Assistant Aircraft Engineers, and Aerospace Designer Checker.
Why Pursue Aeronautical Engineering Courses?
Contrary to popular belief, aeronautical engineering courses are not only limited to technical disciplines of aircraft design and maintenance. It is now also being linked with areas such as aviation law and regulations, supply chain, human resource management, behavioral psychology, and even the environment and journalism.
- The Aeronautical Engineering industry is ever-growing hence the Aeronautical Engineering courses offer immense opportunities to job seekers.
- Aside from aircraft manufacturers such as Boeing and Airbus, options in the automotive, defense, and consulting sectors can also be explored through Aeronautical Engineering courses.
- The course fees for Aeronautical Engineering courses at the UG level in government colleges vary between INR 50,000 – INR 4,00,000, while in private colleges it varies between INR INR 70,000 – INR 19,50,000. This course is pretty affordable in government colleges, hence one can easily pursue Aeronautical Engineering courses.
- Once the Aeronautical Engineering course is completed the students are placed in the best organizations in the industry with a high salary of INR 30,00,000 per annum.
Eligibility Criteria Aeronautical Engineering Courses
Those who wish to pursue Aeronautical Engineering Courses must know that there are certification courses in Aeronautical Engineering, Diploma courses in Aeronautical Engineering, and Degree Courses in Aeronautical Engineering.
Here are the eligibility criteria that the students will have to fulfill to pursue Aeronautical Engineering courses.
Eligibility for Aeronautical Engineering Certification and Diploma Courses
- Aeronautical Engineering courses are offered in the majority of engineering colleges, candidates must qualify in JEE Mains and JEE Advanced by achieving the minimum qualifying percentile.
- All the aspiring students must have secured at least 70%- 75% marks in their 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry Maths combination.
Eligibility for Aeronautical Engineering UG & PG Courses
- Candidates with a diploma in aircraft maintenance engineering have the option of obtaining degrees in Aeronautical Engineering courses by passing the Aeronautical Society of India examination.
- Top government universities accept GATE scores, hence students will also have to appear for GATE to be eligible for admission in Aeronautical Engineering Courses.
- Candidates must have a bachelor’s degree in aeronautical engineering to be eligible to get admission to Aeronautical Engineering Postgraduate and Doctoral Programs.
Aeronautical Engineering Courses Details
Aeronautical engineering courses are available as certifications, diplomas, UG (BE/BTech/BEngg/BSc), PG (ME/MTech), and Ph.D. courses. Aeronautical Engineering Courses List includes:
- Bachelors in Aeronautical Engineering
- BSc Aeronautics
- Bachelor of Engineering Aerospace Engineering
- BTech in Avionics
- BE/BTech in Aeronautical Engineering
- BE in Aircraft Engineering
- Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering
- Master of Engineering in Aeronautical Management
- Master’s in Aerospace Engineering
- Master’s in Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering
- MTech in Space Engineering and Rocketry
- Ph.D. in Aeronautical and Automobile Engineering
Aeronautical Engineering Courses: Certifications
The certifications below require a candidate to have an engineering degree/diploma, or BEng or BSc degree in a related field. The certifications that are available abroad require a TOEFL score of 79 iBT and 6.5 bands in IELTS additionally.
|Certification||College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Certificate in FEA and ANSYS||NIELIT||7,000|
|Certificate in Gas Turbine Engineering (Online)||Engineering Institute of Technology||64,406|
|Certificate Linear & Nonlinear Modeling||Delft University of Technology||66,201|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics & Training Certificate||Michigan Technological University||—|
|Professional Simulation Engineer||NAFEMS, UK||—|
Aeronautical Engineering Courses Online Certifications
|Course Name||Platform||Course Fees|
|Introduction to Aeronautical Engineering||EDX||Free Add a Verified Certificate for INR 3,735|
|Aircraft Fundamentals and Advanced||Udemy||INR 490|
|Digitalization in Aeronautics and Space||Coursera||Free|
Diploma in Aeronautical Engineering Courses
A diploma in aeronautical engineering courses is a 3-year program that teaches how to design, manufacture, operate, and maintain all aerospace vehicles.
Most private institutions in India offer diplomas in aeronautical engineering courses on a merit basis. Candidates need to pass class 10+2 with 45% marks from a recognized institution.
|Eligibility||10+2 with 45% marks|
|Average Course Fee||INR 60,000- 4,00,000|
|Top Colleges||NMIT Bangalore, OPJS University, Rajgarh, Parul University, Vadodara, Acharya Polytechnic, Bangalore, Apex University, Jaipur|
Undergraduate Aeronautical Engineering Courses
- BE in Aeronautical Engineering and BTech in Aeronautical engineering are the two UG aeronautical engineering courses.
- Both BE/BTech Aeronautical Engineering courses are 4-year UG courses that manage the planning, designing, and development of aircraft.
- To get admission to BE Aeronautical engineering courses colleges, candidates need to pass a 10+2 examination with 60% – 70% marks from a recognized university.
- The admission process is either merit-based or based on national-level JEE Main, AIEEE, HITSEEE, MHT-CET, and many other university-level exam scores.
- BTech aeronautical engineering courses also have minimum eligibility of 50% or more marks in the 10+2 examination with subjects such as biology, maths, and chemistry.
- JEE Main is the main entrance exam accepted by almost all universities, followed by other state-level or university-level engineering entrance exams.
Top government and state universities that offer aeronautical engineering courses at the UG level are mentioned below:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Fees (INR)|
|BE Aeronautical Engineering||Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai||168,160|
|Dr. Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Bangalore||30,200|
|BTech Aeronautical Engineering||FGIET Raebareli||346,327|
Postgraduate Aeronautical Engineering Courses
- ME in Aeronautical Engineering and MTech in Aeronautical engineering are the two PG aeronautical engineering courses.
- Both ME/MTech Aeronautical Engineering are 2-year PG level courses that deal with the construction, science, and design of aircraft.
- To get admission in PG-level aeronautical engineering courses, candidates need to have a BTech/BE degree in aeronautical engineering or related fields.
- The admission process is based on GATE, Karnataka PGCET, and many other state-level entrance exam scores.
Top government and state universities that offer aeronautical engineering courses at the PG level are mentioned below:
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Fees (INR)|
|MTech Aeronautical Engineering||IIST Thiruvananthapuram||60,600|
|ME Aeronautical Engineering||Madras Institute of Technology, Chennai||—|
Ph.D. Aeronautical Engineering Courses
There are only 5 colleges that offer Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering. To be eligible, one must have a ME/MTech degree in aeronautical engineering with valid scores in Ph.D. entrance exams.
The top colleges that offer Ph.D. in aeronautical engineering are:
- PCET Coimbatore
- Bhagwant University, Ajmer
- BIHER Chennai
- BIT Sathyamangalam
- VEL Tech, Chennai
Aeronautical Engineering Course Syllabus
The syllabus for Aeronautical Engineering Course varies from institute to institute but the basic syllabus for most universities is mentioned below.
|Mathematics||Engineering Physics||Flight Dynamics|
|Aircraft Structures||Control Engineering||Engineering Chemistry|
|Computer Programming||Engineering Graphics||Environmental Science and Engineering|
|Aircraft Structures Laboratory||Communication and Soft Skills- Laboratory-Based||Computer Practices Laboratory|
|Engineering Practices Laboratory||Physics and Chemistry Laboratory||Principles of Management|
|Finite Element Methods||Vibrations and Elements of Aeroelasticity||Transforms and Partial Differential Equations|
|CAD and Aircraft Component Drawing||Aircraft Structures Laboratory||Aerodynamics Laboratory|
|Aircraft Structures||Mechanics of Machines||Wind Tunnel Techniques|
|Aircraft Systems and Instruments||Fluid Mechanics and Machinery Laboratory||Flight Integration Systems and Control Laboratory|
|Computational Fluid Dynamics||CAM and Manufacturing Laboratory||Thermodynamics Laboratory|
Aeronautical Engineering Skills
To excel in the Aeronautical Engineering industry, one must have a healthy combination of technical expertise as well as an introductory knowledge or learning appetite to manage various aspects of business such as strategy, growth, operations, marketing, and cost.
|Problem Solving||Quick Decision Making||Critical Analysis|
|Expert Mathematical Aptitude||Time Management||Computer Tool|
Aeronautical Engineering Career Prospects
The courses that have been mentioned above are the ones that will help a student to make a career in the aeronautical engineering industry.
While a bachelor’s or master’s level course is considered appropriate for professional and research-oriented paths, short-term courses aid in fast-track career development in a specific subdivision and are largely skill-based.
The careers prospects after completing the Aeronautical Engineering courses are the following:
- Research Assistant
- Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
- Aircrash Investigation Expert
- Structures and Materials Engineer
- Acoustic Experts
- Aircraft Design Engineer
- Technical Officer
- Aerospace Medicine Expert
- Quality Assurance Engineer
- Aircraft Technician
- Airworthiness Engineer
- Stress Analyst
Top Recruiters of Aeronautical Engineers
Top recruiters in aeronautical engineering come from both the public and private sectors. These firms hire candidates in the aeronautical engineering sector based on their qualifications and experience. Candidates can look into some of the top recruiters in both industries.
- Ministry of Civil Aviation
- Indian Air Force
- Private Airlines
- Directorate General of Civil Aviation
- Aeronautical Development Establishment
- Air India
- Pawan Hans
- Defense Research and Development Laboratories
- CSIR National Aeronautics Lab (NAL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL)
Average Salary for Aeronautical Engineers
It has been already mentioned that the Aeronautical Engineers earn about INR 5,00,00 – INR 8,00,000 in the initial days. Knowing the fact that Aeronautical Engineers are hired in government and private sectors, here the salary of the Aeronautical Engineers has been represented in a table format such as,
|Experience Level||Salary (LPA)|
|Fresher||INR 5,00,000 – INR 8,00,000|
|Mid-level||INR 8,00,000 – INR 20,00,000|
|Senior||INR 25,00,000 above|
Aeronautical Engineering Courses FAQs
Ques. What subjects are needed for aeronautical engineering?
Ans. Aeronautical Engineering’s core subjects are as follows:
- Materials science is the study of materials.
- The study of fluid dynamics.
- Structural analysis is a type of analysis that examines the structure of a
- Control and guidance are provided automatically.
- Performance and Structures of Aircraft
Ques. How can I become an aeronautical engineer after the 12th?
Ans. Students who have completed their 12th grade or equivalent with PCM/PCB are eligible to apply for the Aeronautical Engineering B. Tech. entrance exam. For the majority of entrance examinations, the minimum required percentage is 60%.
Ques. How can I become an aeronautical engineer?
Ans. For those seeking admission to a Postgraduate (M. Tech in Aeronautical Engineering) course, a graduation level (B. Tech) passing certificate with a minimum aggregate of 50% in the required field, as well as the results of the entrance exam (if applicable), must be presented at the time of admission.
Ques. Is Aeronautical Engineering easy?
Ans. Even though some of the core classes are the same, aeronautical engineering is more difficult than mechanical engineering. However, it is less difficult than chemical engineering. Every branch of engineering would be easy for a candidate who is good at mathematics and can think deeply.
Ques. Can an aeronautical engineer pilot?
Ans. Aeronautical engineers can also become pilots after obtaining a Commercial Pilot License. Aspiring candidates are required to take the CPL entrance examination. If chosen, they will go through pilot training. After completing the training, they will be issued a pilot’s license.
Ques. What is aeronautical engineering?
Ans. Aeronautical engineering is the science that deals with the study, design, and manufacture of flight-capable machines, as well as aircraft operation techniques. Aerospace engineers are in charge of researching, designing, and manufacturing aircraft, spacecraft, aerospace equipment, satellites, and missiles.
Ques. Is aeronautical engineering good for females?
Ans. You can undoubtedly pursue a career in aeronautical engineering. The field is unquestionably beneficial to females as well. If you are interested in the field, choose aeronautical engineering without hesitation. Of course, once you’ve finished, you’ll be able to get a good-paying job.
Ques. How many girls are there in aerospace engineering?
Ans. Women make up only 16% of the aircraft, spacecraft, and manufacturing subgroups in aerospace. So, as you get more technical, the percentages drop significantly below 25%.