Last Updated on December 28, 2022 by Omoyeni Adeniyi
Architecture is the study of planning, designing the construction of buildings and other structures. BArch or Bachelor of Architecture is an undergraduate course which is five years long and is a blend of theoretical and practical knowledge for students. This course involves everything from planning to mapping and overseeing of structures at every stage of construction by a professional architect.
Right here on Collegelearners, you are privy to a litany of relevant information on best colleges in Bangalore for architecture, best universities in the world to study architecture, and so much more. Take out time to visit our catalog for more information on similar topics.
Best Colleges In Bangalore For Architecture
Students pursuing or aspiring to pursue this course require remarkable drawing skills and the ability to think creatively. An architect has to have good observational skills, memory and communication skills. Sometimes Architects also need to have IT skills to operate software for designing.
Admission into these courses in various colleges requires the student to appear for an entrance test held on various levels. This 5-year course is divided into ten semesters and each semester includes various subjects and topics for the students. Some subjects are Advanced Visual Representation, Ancient Civilizations, Applied Mathematics, Interior Architecture & Space Programming, Introduction to Structures, Building Economics, Behavioural Architecture, Professional Practice, Lighting, Ventilation & Acoustics, Steel Structures, Building Materials and Construction, Computer Simulation & Modelling, Water Supply & Sanitation and Structural Analysis. These subjects differ from college to college.
In this article, the ownership wise list for the Bachelors of architecture colleges in Bangalore along with their NIRF 2020 Rankings, Careers360 ratings, fees and acceptable tests have been mentioned in a table. The admission process, eligibility criteria, FAQs, top recruiters and average salary received by graduates with career options made available to them have also been provided to get a clear understanding before finalizing the college.
BArch Colleges in Bangalore: Specialisations Available
Architecture can be pursued at various levels such as undergraduate level, postgraduate level, doctorate level and even diploma level.
BArch or Bachelors of Architecture is the five-year-long undergraduate course in architecture. This course is a full-time programme including theory and practical subjects for students. Candidates need to appear for an entrance exam to acquire admission into this course.
M. Arch or master’s in architecture is a two-year-long postgraduate degree. This degree can be pursued by the student after the completion of the Bachelors in Architecture degree. Candidates need to appear for an entrance exam to acquire admission into this course.
Diploma in architecture is a one-year-long course. Students in 10+2 can apply for this course as it teaches architecture and related areas. This course is offered by various colleges throughout the country.
PhD in Architecture
PhD in Architecture can be pursued after post-graduation. The duration of this doctoral degree is two years. Subjects differ from college to college. Candidates need to appear for an entrance exam to secure admission into this course.
BArch Colleges in Bangalore: Eligibility Criteria
For Undergraduate degree
The eligibility criteria for the undergraduate degree that is BArch is as follows:
● Applicants must have cleared their 10+2 examination or equivalent from a recognized board with a minimum aggregate of 50%. They should be from a science background with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, and English as mandatory subjects.
● The Council of Architecture conducts NATA Entrance Examination which is a compulsion for all the architect aspirants. The minimum marks that the candidates must score are 40%. This limit is applicable to all categories of candidates including SC/ ST, Category-1, and OBC Category candidates.
For Postgraduate degree
The eligibility criteria for the postgraduate degree that is M. Arch is as follows:
● The candidate must be a BArch graduate from a recognized institute and mandatorily have 50% marks.
● Applicants should have appeared for the entrance exam required for admission based on the guidelines of the desired college.
● Some colleges also consider the marks of the General Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) and Common Entrance Exam for Design (CEED). A few colleges conduct their college-level entrances.
● The candidates must have a solid understanding and knowledge of aptitude skills such as reasoning, design, and numerics to get admission to this course.
● Some Institutes conduct an aptitude test and an Interview for admission into the Master’s Degree in Architecture.
BArch Colleges in Bangalore: Admission Process
Mostly, institutes and colleges conduct entrance exams on various levels such as national level, state level and university level to admit students in the architecture programs. Some of the popular entrance exams are mentioned below.
● NATA- The National Aptitude Test in Architecture (NATA) is a national level entrance exam conducted online every year. This entrance test is conducted by the council of architecture to admit students into architecture colleges in various institutes. Mostly all colleges in Bangalore accept this test’s score for admitting students.
● AAT- IITs conduct this examination for admission in various branches in IITs.
The Architecture Aptitude Test (AAT) and NATA are two of the most popular BArch entrance exams.
After clearing the entrance tests with the required score, students need to –
● Apply online on the college website and enter the necessary details.
● Upload a photograph and signature if required.
● Submit documents for verification.
● Pay college fees.
Some universities also conduct interviews and written tests before granting admission to the students after clearing the entrance exam. Admission will be granted after the candidate pay the fees and its documents get verified.BArch Colleges in Bangalore: Ownership-wise List
When it comes to BArch Colleges in Bangalore, there are plenty of options to choose from. In order to identify the most suitable college for pursuing an architecture course, most students prefer to have a look at the ownership of the college. Here we are listing the top BArch Colleges in Bangalore based on their ownership.
There are many private architecture colleges in Bangalore that offer a variety of course options for the students to choose from. Private colleges are known for their excellent amenities and facilities for the students.
|Name of the college
|NIRF 2021 Rank
|Dayanand Sagar College of Engineering
|Rs. 2.48 lakhs
|Ramaiah Institute of Technology
|Rs. 4.41 lakhs
|49th in Universities
|32nd in Universities
|Rs. 16.50 lakhs
|Rs. 12.05 lakhs
|Dayananda Sagar Academy of Technology and Management
|The Oxford College of Engineering
|Rs. 7.13 lakhs
|CMR University (CMRU)
|Rs. 22.50 lakhs
|IMPACT School of Architecture
|Rs. 10.70 lakhs
|RV College of Architecture
Due to their low tuition fees and excellent reputation, most government architecture colleges in Bangalore enjoy an excellent reputation with the students. Here are the top government Architecture colleges in Bangalore: –
|Name of the college
|NIRF 2021 Rank
|University Visvesvaraya College of Engineering
|Rs. 1.10 lakhs
|Rs. 1.10 lakhs
Career options available after the course and average salary
After completing an undergraduate degree in architecture, students have the option to either pursue a postgraduate degree or start working right away. The demand for students with formal education in architecture is on a steady rise, so the students can expect to enjoy a rewarding career after the course.
For B Arch
|Average salary (per annum)
|Rs. 5 lakhs
|Rs. 6 lakhs
|Rs. 18.50 lakhs
|Rs. 4 lakhs
|Rs. 6 lakhs
|Senior Interior Designer
|Rs. 7.50 lakhs
|Senior Project Architect
|Rs. 10 lakhs
|Rs. 9.50 lakhs
|Rs. 10 lakhs
|Rs. 5.50 lakhs
|Rs. 5.50 lakhs
|Senior Principal Architect
|Rs. 19.40 lakhs
|Rs. 5 lakhs
|Rs. 4 lakhs
For M. Arch
|Average salary (per annum)
|Rs. 3 lakhs to 10 lakhs
|Rs. 2.5 lakhs – 9.5 lakhs
|Rs. 2 lakhs – 8 lakhs
|Rs. 3 lakhs – 10 lakhs
|Rs. 2.6 lakhs – 8 lakhs
|Rs. 2 lakhs – 9 lakhs
Top employers in the sector
For B Arch
● Architect Hafeez Contractor
● Dar Al Handasah
● RSP Architects Ltd
● Shapoorji Pallonji & Co. Ltd.
● Gaursons India
● C P Kukreja Associates
● Oscar & Ponni Architects
● Kembhavi Architecture Foundation
For M Arch
● Manchanda Associates
● Larsen & Toubro
● Architect Consultants
● Chitra Vishwanath Architects
● VSA Space Design (P) Ltd.
● Sahara Group
● Jones Lang LaSalle Meghraj
● Edifice Architects Pvt. Ltd.
Professional Architects can also work in various sectors such as:
● Housing and urban development organizations
● Public works department or PWD
● Railway department
● Town and country planning firms
● Publishing houses
● Telegraph and posts department
● National Institute of urban affairs
● Architecture development organizations
● Educational institutes
● City development authorities
● National building organization
1. What is the median salary of students graduating from Christ university?
The median salary of students graduating from Christ university is Rs. 3 lakhs.
2. Is there any part-time B.Arch course available?
No, there is no such course as per the strict guidelines of the Council of Architecture.
3. What is the NATA Entrance Test?
National Aptitude Test in Architecture popularly known as NATA, is a qualifying test for admission to B.Arch colleges. The Council of Architecture conducts the examination every year.
4. Is it mandatory to have a science stream in 10+2 to be eligible for a B.Arch course?
Yes, the aspirant must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics in its higher secondary.
5.What is the duration of the UG and PG course of Architecture?
The duration of UG and PG courses in Architecture are 5 years and 2 years respectively.
6. What is the median salary for students graduating from Dayanand Sagar college of engineering and Ramaiah Institute of Technology?
The median salary of students graduating from Dayanand Sagar college of engineering and Ramaiah Institute of Technology is Rs. 5.55 lakhs and Rs. 5.20 lakhs per annum.
7. Which entrance exam do architecture colleges in Bangalore accept?
Most architecture colleges in Bangalore accept NATA as their qualifying exam. The exam is held once in a year.
8. What are the jobs that a student completing a Diploma in architecture can do?
A student completing a diploma in architecture can be a Layout Designer, Asst. Interior Designer and Assistant Architect.
9. What is the average salary for students completing a diploma course in architecture?
The average salary for students completing a diploma course in architecture is Rs. 1.4-2 lakhs.
10. What do Architects do in their Profession?
An architect has to fulfil the following responsibilities:
● Researching and analysing the client’s goals and requirements
● They deal with two and three-dimensional design concepts to discuss various plans and schemes.
● Selection and specification of materials, furniture, fixtures, and construction equipment.
Best Universities In The World To Study Architecture
Architecture is a rewarding career offered by top universities and schools of environmental studies around the world. From mind-blowing artistic and urban designs to environmentally significant structures, architecture has played a significant role in the history of human existence. Students who seek to pursue quality education in architecture can do so without any worries.
There are prestigious scholarships at these universities which enable both local and international students to pursue the architectural programs of their dreams. To secure admission at any of these universities, masters, and PhD applicants are required to submit a bachelor’s degree in Architecture and a portfolio.
LIST OF TOP 10 UNIVERSITIES IN THE WORLD TO STUDY ARCHITECTURE
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States
- Delft University of Technology Delft, Netherlands
- University College London, United Kingdom
- ETH Zurich-Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, Switzerland
- Harvard University, United States
- National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore
- Manchester School of Architecture, United Kingdom
- University of California, Berkeley, United States
- Tsinghua University Beijing, China
- Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy
Now, let’s dive into details – 10 Best Universities to Study Architecture
1.) Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), United States-
MIT has held the position of the best university in architecture for 10 consecutive years including 2022 by the QS world university ranking and Top University. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) is home to innovative research and study of art, design, history/criticism of architecture, building technology, and architectural computation. Students who seek to get the best education with hands-on experience in the field of architecture can gain admission into MIT to study with the latest architectural curriculum and technology. Students are allowed to design modern and postmodern buildings as well as numerous internship opportunities.
MIT School of Architecture offers the following programs: the BSc in Architecture, BSc in Art and Design, Master of Architecture, MSc in Architecture Studies, MSc in Building Technology, MSc in Art, Culture, and Technology, and PhD in architecture.
2.) Delft University of Technology Delft, Netherlands-
This university grooms its students to become experts in the fields of real estate, landscape design, urban planning, building technology, and architecture. Students develop analytical skills and learn how to solve problems relating to urbanization, climate change, and the development of existing buildings. Students are taught by experts in the following degree programs:
- 3-year bachelor of architecture program
- 2-year master of architecture, urbanism, and building sciences program
- 4-year PhD program in any of the following areas: architecture, building technology, urbanism, landscape architecture, geomatics, management of the built environment and housing, covering aspects such as history, cultural heritage, and sustainability.
3.) University College London, United Kingdom
This university is known for its world call education from experts in the field of architecture and design. Students have access to state-of-the-art facilities and technologies to boost their creative skills. The university allows students to carry out research projects and build professional networks through work placements. The university boasts of an overwhelming employability rate of 90% for its graduates of architecture. The Bartlett School of Architecture is ranked 3rd in the world among top architecture schools according to the QS World Ranking by subject 2022.
Students can choose from any of the programs below to study at UCL:
- A five-year bachelor’s and master’s program in architecture with a final year on placement.
- A three-year BSc program architecture program
- A four-year BSc and Master of engineering program
- About 17 postgraduate programs for Masters Study in Architecture
4.) ETH Zurich – Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Zürich, Switzerland.
This university is one of the best universities worldwide in the field of architecture. It is ranked 4th place among the best universities that offer architecture according to the QS World Ranking by subject 2022.
This university gives its students project-based and creative architectural education. Students explore design, construction, historical and social aspects of the architectural program. Masters and doctoral students work on large projects. All students have access to architectural technologies, laboratories, studios, and research centers. The Architectural Master’s program lasts for two years with a 6-month internship period. Afterward, PhD programs last for about 6 years while the undergraduate program last for 3 years.
Knowledge of German and English is required to study architecture at this university.
- Bachelor of architecture – This is a three-year program taught in German and English Language.
- Master of Science in Architecture-
- Master of Science in Landscape Architecture-
- PhD program in landscape and urban studies
- PhD in history and theory of architecture
5.) Harvard University, United States-
Harvard University School of Design is known for its design-focused and rich curriculum covering areas such as restructuring inner cities, historical contexts transformation and development of cities, and exploration of studio geographies such as Berlin, Shanghai, Paris, and other cities. Harvard University awards numerous scholarships to its architectural students. These include American Society of Landscape Architects scholarships, Architects Foundation scholarship, Association for Women in Architecture Foundation Scholarship, and many others.
Students also enjoy internship placement opportunities such as Takenaka Summer Internships and others through the Harvard GSD Job & Internship Fair every year.
The university offers the following programs for students:
- Bachelor of Architecture program
- Master of Architecture in Urban Design- Individuals who have completed a five-year undergraduate professional program in architecture or its overseas equivalent are eligible for this program.
- Master of Landscape Architecture in Urban Design-Individuals who have completed a four-year undergraduate professional program in landscape architecture or its overseas equivalent are eligible for this program.
- PhD programs in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, or Urban Planning
6.) National University of Singapore (NUS) Singapore-
This University is renowned for its excellent research-based architectural program which gives students practical design skills and creative thinking skills. The National University of Singapore is Asia’s best and top 6 in the world in the field of architecture according to the QS World Ranking by subject 2022.
The university offers a 4-year Bachelor of Arts in Architecture program, 2-year Master of Architecture program, and 4–5-year PhD architecture program.
7.) Manchester School of Architecture United Kingdom-
The University of Manchester fosters excellence in architectural design, research, and collaboration. The university is ranked 7th among the best architectural universities according to the QS world ranking by subject 2022. The University of Manchester offers students a 2-year master of architecture program and 5-year doctor of architecture program.
Manchester School of Architecture is a collaboration between The University of Manchester and Manchester Metropolitan University. Students are taught by experts in the field of architecture to develop practical skills in problem-solving. The course is accredited by the Royal Institute for British Architects (RIBA) and the Architects Registration Board (ARB). Students collaborate with their colleagues and experts at the Manchester Metropolitan University to learn about high-quality design and be inspired by the architectural projects of graduates from Manchester university. Field trips and internship placement help students hands-on experience in the field of architecture.
8.) University of California, Berkeley, United States-
The University of California offers a 4-year undergraduate architecture program, 2 years master’s program, and 3-year doctoral programs which are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) in the US. University of California is ranked 8th for best universities in architecture in QS World University Rankings by subject 2022. This prestigious university equips students with architectural research skills, and design. The department offers an accredited professional Master of Architecture (MArch), a post-professional Master of Advanced Architectural Design (MAAD), Master of Science (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) degrees.
9.) Tsinghua University Beijing, China-
Tsinghua university is ranked 2nd in Asia and 9th among the top universities in the world in architecture according to the QS world university ranking by subject 2022. ‘The Harvard of China’, as it is fondly called, offers students an innovative approach in learning architectural design. The few lucky students (about 12) given admission to study at the undergraduate level have the opportunity to build projects and excel at design challenges. Students get a blend of Chinese and European architecture which is taught in English. Masters and doctoral students are offered a worldwide accredited Master of architecture and doctor of architecture respectively. Masters students also intern for 6 months at foreign or Chinese architectural firms in China. The job opportunities open to architectural graduates are numerous all over the world.
The school of architecture at Tsinghua university offers the following accredited programs in architecture
- Master in Landscape Architecture
- Master in Architecture
- Master in Engineering in Building Environment and Energy
- Master in Engineering in Building and Civil Engineering
- Master in Urban and Rural Planning
- Doctor in Engineering in Landscape Architecture
- Doctor in Engineering in Architec-ture
- Doctor in Engineering in Urban and Rural Planning
- Doctor in Engineering in Civil Engineering.
10.) Politecnico di Milano, Milan, Italy-
Italy is home to various forms of architectural designs and constructions. The best architectural designs in the world are found in Italian museums, palaces, churches, villas and many other places. It no wonder why the Polytechnic University of Milan is renowned for its quality of education and excellence in architecture. Architecture is one amongst 40 English taught programs. In addition, the university offers numerous merit-based scholarships to attract international students. The undergraduate architectural program runs for 3 years while masters and PhD programs is studied for 2 years and 3 years respectively. There is a high employability rate of architectural graduates from this university in Italy and the rest of the world.
The polytechnic university of Milan offers the following architectural programs:
- Bachelor of Architecture program
- MSc in Building Architecture
- MSc sustainable architecture and landscape design
- MSc architecture- Built environment interiors
- MSc/PhD Architectural and urban design
- MSc architectural design and history
- MSc Urban planning and policy design
- MSc management of built environment
- MSc building and architectural engineering
- PhD program in urban planning, design and policy.
- PhD program in preservation of architectural heritage
- PhD in architectural built environment and construction engineering
Architecture gives students the opportunity to explore history, culture and artistic landmarks in beautiful countries. Students can expect to build soft skills and memorable experiences while studying at these universities.